Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  50 Ways to Use GAFF TAPE

Posted 06-29-2016 08:08

Have y'all seen this 4-minute video "50 Ways to Use Gaff Tape"????? Here Are 50 Ways to Put Gaff Tape to Good Use

Facebook remove preview
    Here Are 50 Ways to Put Gaff Tape to Good Use
    Other than a camera, what is the one thing you just can't do without while shooting a film? That's right-tape.
    View this on Facebook >

It. Is. COMEDY! But it is ooooohhhhh so true and a breath of fresh air. 

There's gaff tape on this iPhone I'm writing to y'all on right now! (Cameras. Cover 'em.)

Anywho, even though it's film oriented, this seems like something my Tech and Costuming students are absolutely going to see. In fact... if I sell a few more boxes of lollipops, I see a PROJECT for my Theatre I's!

What say you?! What else would you add to this list?

------------------------------
    Donalda A. McCarthy
    Tweets @MissDonni
    IG @IntlTheatreTeacher

Theatre Education
    Palm Beach Lakes High School
    West Palm Beach, FL, USA

• 2.  RE: 50 Ways to Use GAFF TAPE

Posted 06-29-2016 12:04

That was hilarious, and sooooo true!

The only two things I can add are that (much cheaper) masking tape or blue painter's tape can be used for a lot of the applications mentioned, although masking tape does tend to leave a residue on some surfaces. Also, I've seen gaff tape used as "dutchmen" to hide the joint between two flats, but those hard edges on the tape are really hard to conceal. A few times it actually looked worse than the joint itself.

I'd love to see what other people come up with.  :-)

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 3.  RE: 50 Ways to Use GAFF TAPE

Posted 06-30-2016 08:38

First off I love GAFF tape.  There are so many uses!  The video was amusing andI especially like the intro song. Thanks for sharing!

I've used gaff tape as Dutchman for several years, and it works great.  For me its easier and looks better than traditional Dutchman for joints.  Its faster and is less messier.  I use white and it takes paint wonderfully as well.  It's easy clean up at the end and there is no build up of material left on stock flats or platforms in places where you can't get the Dutchman up.  The main con's is that it can peel up with foot traffic over time and you might need to replace a piece or two.  This being said I use black gaff it for my auditorium maso floor for seams and only have to replace small sections once or twice a year... it hides the expansion and contraction spaces as well as inconsistencies when working with students is a plus.  Another con is it more expensive, and lastly it can create hard edges, but does regular Dutchman.. so you just have to decide to dutch or not to dutch!   For me it's well worth the extra cost due to time saved with labor and strike. The pro's far out weigh the cons for me!

This is a fun thread; I'm looking forward to hearing what others use it for as well.  I'm always up for more ways to use gaff tape!

Rachel Ferrari-Engel
    Pittsburgh Brashear High School
    Photography/Theatre
    Pittsburgh Pa