Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Student accent

Posted 06-28-2016 10:53

I have an accent problem. One of my strongest male students is a terrific actor, but he has an amazingly thick Russian accent, he is incredibly hard to understand and it limits the parts he gets. I have tried to help him as best I can but accents are REALLY not my thing. I have suggested he try to put his voice more forward in his mouth, I have given him some diction exercises, there has been a very slight improvement.  As he is one of my best male actors (and I am in a time where I am desperate for male actors), I would really like to be able to use him more this year, but an audience needs to be able to understand him. Any advice? 

Thanks!

Jeff

------------------------------
    Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 2.  RE: Student accent

Posted 06-28-2016 14:24

That's a tough one! 

Last year, I had a kid who was from Singapore and had a traditional "Asian" accent (missing the 'th' and 'v' sounds, etc.) In his time at the school, he played Oberon in Midsummer, Reverend Parris in The Crucible also a romantic lead (Mr. Brooke in Little Women) - all pretty heavily speaking roles with dense language. We worked really specifically on sounds in his lines -- so, sometimes we would truly go line-by-line and annotate them. Especially in his long speeches as Oberon - we treated it like text analysis/scansion and he would come in after-school and we would work through the lines. By the time he was a senior (and played Mr Brooke) I was able to just give him the note of "hit your 'th sounds in that song" and he would know what I meant. He definitely got better throughout his time!

His accent was more on specific sounds and slighter, though, so maybe that won't work for you. I think working really specifically and writing it out phonetically / looking for certain sounds might help. I don't know that much about the Russian dialect, but I bet there are specific sounds that are more difficult in English - like, they add the harsher "kh" sound at the end of words, which makes it harder for English speakers to understand. Practice over-enunciating his words and practicing the shape of his mouth.

Think of what a gift you're giving this student! Accents are tough to break, and how powerful to be able to fluently speak English and have the power to  choose when you have an accent or not! Great work!

Kandace
    Drama Teacher
    WA

• 3.  RE: Student accent

Posted 06-28-2016 14:25

I have a kid who I can't break of having a British accent. 

...He's not British. Just likes Doctor Who.

Argh!!

Kandace
    Drama Teacher
    WA

• 4.  RE: Student accent

Posted 06-29-2016 07:05

Congratulations with having someone so interesting to teach. "Getting rid" of an accent I equate to teaching an accent. I would go with the idea you don't want to fix the way your student currently speaks but you want to give him more control over his voice.

Not being there it is incredibly hard to know specifically how to help, but I will make some suggestions.

If it is simply a matter of one or two consonant sounds, or maybe ENGLISH DIPHTHONGS AND TRIPHTHONGS sounds maybe some tongue twisters might help. If the student is motivated to learn an American accent just time and his concentration while speaking to his friends will help.

If you don't have a good English pronunciation dictionary and an International phonic sound chart you can find apps for short money, I have one of each on my IPad and the IPA app will show you how to make every sound humans make for communication via video, the dictionary has RP and American English pronunciations.

The last two choices would be a speech coach or maybe even a speak therapist. There might be something other than just learning a new language.

Accents are hard, just watch most movies and you can find Americans murdering regional dialects, and these are professionals with voices coaches.

If you are looking for names of voice teachers I have a few I could suggest. I know they will travel for workshops if you have money of course. You could check local universities to see if their theatre departments have voice instructors.

Hope this helps

Greg Alldredge
    Future Theatre Director 晨山学校 Chenshan School Huangshan City, China

​Former Cypress Springs Theatre Director

• 5.  RE: Student accent

Posted 06-29-2016 08:41

Hello,

Full disclosure:  I LOVE teaching dialects!  

Since I've taught theatre, I've seized the opportunity to teach dialects with my level 3 kids.  They truly love the unit to learn British, Cockney, New York, and Southern dialects.  Some kids really struggle with the placement of their sounds, but just getting them to try something that's out of their comfort zone is fun, and it helps them be more aware of speech patterns and of their own dialect.  The students in my classes come from all over the country and the world, so there are some VERY interesting dialects and pronunciation happening.  

That said, since dialects aren't your thing, I don't know if there is a college/university or theatre nearby that might send in a guest "artist" to teach dialects to a group of students.  This may be a fun rehearsal activity for an expert to do with your students.  How much the better if one of the dialects is Russian? This way that boy can be an expert and a novice at the same time.  

If you are able to do some basic projection and enunciation exercises (out of context of a text) to help all students hear and feel where sound is made and where it resonates, that can be really helpful.  Ask them to make nasal, breathy, throaty sound.  Ask them to use high pitches, low pitches.  Can they feel where this sound his happening and how the different qualities not only feel different but sound different.

Last ditch effort, maybe do a show that utilizes Russian dialect (some Chekhov?) to really highlight and challenge the kids to learn new skills and learn from each other.  

Best of luck!!

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 6.  RE: Student accent

Posted 06-29-2016 11:43

I have a slightly different approach which will not appeal to many of you, but I'll chime in just to explain another approach. The students in my theater come from at least 7 different countries in any given year as well as multiple US  states, and we've got a range of accents--some very strong. I always tell them to speak English (when we are doing plays in English) in the accent they naturally use to speak English. I very rarely give them any adjustments, and typically, it's only to ask for a stronger ending consonant to help sell the word rather than to shift their vowels. (I do correct any kid who mispronounces a word they are unfamiliar with).  The whole ensemble works hard to make the meaning of all the lines and moments clear, so it's not like I'm setting my kids up to deliver incomprehensible speeches, but we approach it in our work as every actor's job to be clear rather than singling out those who don't sound like American newscasters. My population does not have a lot of confidence to begin with, but they are high-achieving kids who tend to lock in on "Right" and "Wrong." I don't want any of them to feel that the way they speak English needs to be fixed or standardized. We don't look like we all come from one place anyway, so it's fine by me when we don't sound that way. In an international population (including native English speakers with accents ranging through Jamaican, Australian, British, Nigerian, Canadian, New Jersey, and several different southern accents) I just made an executive decision not to privilege any one as the standard. Our audiences don't mind, and I have heard several fellow teachers remark that listening to my Chinese actors on stage over the years has sharpened their ability to understand other Chinese speakers of English. This was also the approach at the professional company I used to work for, which is why I never thought about shifting their accents.

Now, not every audience agrees with my approach--at SETC this year, some kids from another state were overheard complaining how stupid I was as a director for telling one of my onstage twins to "talk in a British accent." (He's Australian.) His onstage twin was of a different race, and their twining was based on costume, physicality, and how the other characters perceived them, and I honestly never thought about telling him to adopt an American accent. It works for us, but I totally understand why it wouldn't fly everywhere.

Meg O'Connor
    Alexandria, VA

• 7.  RE: Student accent

Posted 06-29-2016 14:26
    Use the accent as he works on it. Try "Romanoff and Juliet" by Peter Ustinov - great play that requires a Russian accent. When I teach an easy to understand Russian accent, I recommend listening to Boris and Natasha from Rocky and Bullwinkle. Also, have him get an app that reads the lines out loud so he can mimic what he hears. Scene Partners might be a good app for that. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad

• 8.  RE: Student accent

Posted 06-29-2016 20:21

Jeffrey,

I have had similar issues with a female lead (playing a boy) who had a very thick Korean dialect. I have worked with Paul Meier in the past for all kinds of dialects. He is one of the foremost, skilled dialect coaches in this country. He has a website with helpful information but is willing to work with students and their teachers/directors on Skype for a minimal fee. He records these sessions so you can listen to them whenever you need. I highly recommend getting in touch with him to see if there is some individual coaching for your talented student that might fit into your budget. If you are interested, I would be glad to send his information along.

Good Luck!

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA