Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fog Machine

Posted 06-27-2016 13:58

Does anyone have experience in building and/using a drive-ice fog machine in a production? Also need caveats on using a smoke machine. I want to create a mist or fog to reflect light.

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 2.  RE: Fog Machine

Posted 06-27-2016 15:47

This is an area where you would probably want to call a theatrical supplier and discuss your needs, budget, and the type of fog effect you want. There are different types of machines and "fog juices" available, and the effects can be totally different. Any good supplier would be happy to help you out.

For instance, dry ice fog is heavy, so it hugs the ground. It doesn't rise like mist or fog, and has been known to roll off the front of the stage into the house, intentionally or otherwise.   :-)    Also, dry ice has to be handled very carefully to avoid serious burns.

Other "fog" products are either water-based or oil-based, which dictate not only how they perform but also how greasy they are and whether they create a slippery surface.

You can start with Rosco, at www.rosco.com/fog to get some ideas. They are a huge theatrical supplier and (usually) very nice.

Another possibility, depending on your particular use, would be to look at Halloween fog machines, which are inexpensive and generally use safe products. Or, if you haven't already doe so, you can contact local theatre companies or colleges and see if they have one and what they can tell you about it.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 3.  RE: Fog Machine

Posted 06-28-2016 11:13
    I have built a dry ice fogger out of a metal trash can - directions are easily found on the Internet. Everything is fairly simple to do and materials are easy to find. My only issue with the unit is that I did not use nearly a strong enough fan to push the fog out. Mine is pretty much useless until I get a more powerful fan installed, so make sure you start with a strong, quiet fan. 

--
    Ann Hileman, M.A.
    State Chapter Director, Indiana Thespians
    Indiana Thespian Hall of Fame

Maconaquah High School
    256 East 800 South
    Bunker Hill, IN 46914
    765-689-9131 x 5550 (phone)
    765-689-9528 (fax)

• 4.  RE: Fog Machine

Posted 06-28-2016 19:04

You need to call and talk with someone at Froggy's Fog in Columbia, TN! Those guys know how to create exactly the type fog you want and they can sell you just what you need! 

Suzanne Craig
    HS Theatre Director
    Lipscomb Academy High School
    Nashville TN