Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Diary of anne frank

Posted 06-25-2016 11:26
    I value the input I have been reading, and I thank you in advance for your input.

I am wanting to do Diary of Anne Frank. I will have a great number of African Americans auditioning. Would blind casting work for this play?

-KaRon Branch
    "It is not my ability, but my response to God's ability, that counts." - Corrie Ten Boom

• 2.  RE: Diary of anne frank

Posted 06-26-2016 06:36

I recently did "Anne Frank" in a primarily white district. My Margo was African-American and my Kraler was Hispanic. Not a word was said. I was prepared if anyone said anything though, just respond "you don't think they are good actors?" 

------------------------------
    Amanda Malo
    Drama Teacher/ Director
    Howell, MI

• 3.  RE: Diary of anne frank

Posted 06-26-2016 08:07

I completely support your casting DIARY OF ANNE FRANK non-traditionally. (if anyone objects, cite HAMILTON as an example). Why not use your best actors? They will not all be age-appropriate anyway and I suspect you will be auditioning non-Jewish actors, too. Go colorblind!

I've seen beautiful and heartfelt productions of LETTERS TO SALA, another Holocaust play, with African-Americans, Asians, Pacific Islanders and Latinos, as well as very white productions without a single Jewish person in the cast, as well as productions using young actors with strong southern accents. A good story is a good story and we live in a diverse world.  Historically, there were over 60,000 Africans living in Germany during that period; as I understand it, many of them, as well as Romas, ended up in the camps.

For our production of LETTERS TO SALA at the College of Charleston we cast an African-American in the role of Ala Gerter, a real person who was one of the women hanged at Auschwitz for conspiracy. Our young actor earned the part by giving the best audition and her name appears in the cast list in the Dramatists Play Service acting edition.

Wishing you and your cast all the best,

Arlene Hutton

Arlene Hutton
    playwright
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: Diary of anne frank

Posted 06-26-2016 08:33

From my perspective, I see no issues at all. The story of human oppression is, of course, universal. It might add a particular poignancy to to play. Another great option, too, is a play called Home on the Morning Train. It simultaneously tells the story of slavery in the US and the holocaust. It's a terrific play and might be one to consider. Best of luck. 

Peter 

Peter Duffy
    Associate professor of theatre education
    University of SC

• 5.  RE: Diary of anne frank

Posted 06-26-2016 10:09

YES!!  I saw a production with a Black father, s Mexican mother and a Filipino Anne!  It was jarring for about 30 seconds, then it worked. Good acting (and directing) overcome our momentary disbelief before we suspend it willingly.

Marilynn Zeljeznjak
    Blacksburg VA

• 6.  RE: Diary of anne frank

Posted 06-27-2016 12:28

It works. The themes are universal and has some great conversations about where else we see injustice and hate in our world besides the Holocaust. 

I tell my students I want the actors on the stage to celebrate the wide range of diversity we have in our school, so our plays will reflect that in casting. 

Alex Moore
    Theatre Arts Director
    St. Louis MO

• 7.  RE: Diary of anne frank

Posted 06-29-2016 09:41

I did this show almost 10 years ago with a completely color blind cast. There were absolutely no issues. My Mr. Dussell was bi-racial with a Caucasian wife and child. The only time I think it's important to not color blind cast is when the story itself would suffer and make it difficult for the audience to suspend their disbelief. I wouldn't try it in To Kill A Mockingbird or Of Mice and Men, for example. But if the race issue isn't a requirement for the story I'd say toss it out the window. The use of the star on the clothes when they come into the Annex will tell the audience everything they need to know. 

Have fun. This was my favorite show to direct and produce. :^)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ