Open Forum

View Only

Theatre Web site

• 1.  Theatre Web site

Posted 06-22-2016 12:46

Hi all,

I'm in the process of creating a web site for my theatre department. We had one ages ago as part of the school site, but when that got updated, the department pages went by the wayside. In addition to the basic information (classes, production history, contact info), do you have suggestions of additional content I could include that would be useful and interesting and might encourage people to visit the site? Thanks so much.

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 2.  RE: Theatre Web site

Posted 06-22-2016 18:10

You can't go wrong with lots of photos, especially with captions.

A list of previous shows in chronological order is always nice, too.  People love to reminisce.

Susan Draus
    teacher & theater advisor
    Downingtown Area School District
    Downingtown PA

• 3.  RE: Theatre Web site

Posted 06-22-2016 19:25

I set up a web site some years back for a local theatre, and one of the things we found people loved to look at was a page with information on the current or upcoming show. Things like a bit of history of the show, the time period, the writer, the characters, whether it was based on a true story, and so forth, all information available online. Actually, a lot of the stuff on the page was links to other sites. We asked customers about this, and a lot of them really enjoyed having some background on the story: it made it come alive for them.

We usually printed the director's commentary (production notes) in the program, but a few times it went on this page too, or sometimes an interview with the director. And, if there was anything particularly interesting about the set or costumes, we often put that in too.

I can't take credit for this idea.   :-)   It came from checking out the Royal Shakespeare Company's web site:

https://www.rsc.org.uk/

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 4.  RE: Theatre Web site

Posted 06-23-2016 08:29

We're putting one together too! I love the idea of including info on current productions (pictures and short video "previews" work great!) and past shows for reminiscing. We're also including a page for Thespian Troupe info...our bylaws...our handbook...etc. Might even include our monthly meeting minutes and agenda. A website with troupe info can help guide new thespians towards achieving distinctions when they graduate: Honor Thespian, National Honor Thespian, etc.  Plus, it helps build and keep alumni support beyond graduation. It's a great tool for not only promoting shows to the ticket-buying public but a great resource for recruitment!

Another goal we had was to put together a funny, short video on "How to be a good audience member." Always good to remind our young people (and their families and fans) what's expected of them when they attend a live theatre production.

You could vote on the latest Drama Club t-shirt design. Or, use a thermometer graphic to show how much money you've raised in your latest fundraiser. The skies the limit with what you can do! 

Remember to always be celebrating what you've done and what's coming up next and you'll do great! 

Angie Kells
    Learning Services Team Assistant
    McHenry IL

• 5.  RE: Theatre Web site

Posted 06-23-2016 08:51

Hey all, 

I maintain out theatre program website at Lake Central Theatre Company (www.lcdrama.org).  I use Google Sites, which is very user friendly (and dovetails nicely with out Google-supported email).  I pay for the domain so it's easy for publicity.

But you can see all of the many things we post.  It is due for some refreshing, as it's not changed much in design for a few years, but the content is pretty static, and includes most of what people have suggested so far.

We used to embed a Google Calendar of events with rehearsals and performances.  However, we migrated much of that to our CMS since the general public didn't need to see most of that.  We are working on just posting our season of events on the web page for next year

Ray

Google remove preview
    Lake Central Theatre Company
    The purpose of this site is to keep the Tri-Town community aware of the activities of the Lake Central Theatre Company.
    View this on Google >

Raymond Palasz
    English/Theatre Faculty; Thespian Troupe Director
    Lake Central High School
    Schererville IN

• 6.  RE: Theatre Web site

Posted 06-23-2016 08:55
    Pictures, rehearsal schedules, cast lists, scene breakdowns, and maybe blog/production notes or musings about theatre. Student written?

Sent from my iPad

• 7.  RE: Theatre Web site

Posted 06-23-2016 10:16

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the ideas about all the production info. That's kind of what we do in our Facebook event page for our shows, but I'll make a note to add it to the web site now, too. Unfortunately, we don't do ITS, T-shirts or fundraising here, though I am wondering if my administrator would approve of a "Get Involved" tab that describes opportunities for donating and volunteering.  Here's what I've done so far. http://svgstheatre.weebly.com/

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 8.  RE: Theatre Web site

Posted 06-23-2016 11:35

Cassy,

I second the pictures suggestion--a photo is worth a thousand words, as they say.

But also, what about links to theatrical resources? Those could include sites like EdTA and Virginia Thespians, as well as a site like The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (via MIT) or resources where students can find monologues (making sure, of course, to select sites that offer monologues legally--not all do). The only caveat with links is you'd want to select relatively stable sites, where you're not likely to have links go bad.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 9.  RE: Theatre Web site

Posted 06-23-2016 11:59

What websites do you suggest for finding legal and unique monologues? That is something that I have always struggled with!! I definitely agree from a student perspective that links like that would be very helpful to have on the website

Thank you, 

Alexandria Bagwell
    Dawsonville GA

• 10.  RE: Theatre Web site

Posted 06-24-2016 19:31

Hi Alexandria,

That's a great question, as there are a number of monologue sites that either contain copyrighted material that they are using without permission (I try to report them to the Dramatists Guild when I find them), or they contain stand-alone monologues (i.e. not from actual plays), which tend to be subpar. 

Here are a few possibilities for contemporary monologues, many/most of which are teen focused and all from real plays:

http://www.donzolidis.com/monologue.html

http://jonathandorf.com/monologues

http://youthplays.com/monologues.php

http://performerstuff.com is a new pay site that has material for actors of all ages. It's a pay site that offers samples of the monologues before you pay for them. Some of these monologues are stand-alones, and some are from plays.

This site has a large collection of public domain/classical monologues, including Shakespeare:

http://www.monologuearchive.com/

Hopefully that gives you a start!

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 11.  RE: Theatre Web site

Posted 06-23-2016 12:11

One of the things I would suggest considering is who the web site is ultimately for, i.e., the students, the parents, or the audiences. That's what will determine what goes into it and how it's laid out. So far, yours seems to be geared towards the students, which may be what you want.

Some web sites have tabs across the top that clearly define which parts are for whom. For instance, the home page (the page that first opens up) may be intended for the audiences, but there are tabs for auditions, volunteering, info on the theatre, ticketing, and so forth. That way it's easy for a visitor to get oriented and find what he or she is looking for. A local community theatre out here has a good example of this: http://www.stage1theatre.org

Keep us posted!  :-)

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 12.  RE: Theatre Web site

Posted 06-24-2016 08:47

You make a good point to consider who the primary audience is for the web site. In my case, it's a publicity and recruitment tool more than anything else, aimed at prospective students, parents, and the community. I have a Facebook group with my students to communicate assignment reminders, rehearsal changes, etc, plus I have them all in class every day. Our prospective audiences are reached more through out Facebook event pages and through the website of the theater with which we partner for performances.

I really like Jonathan's suggestion of sharing links that might be useful to the students. Do you all have some favorites? I generally suggest the Monologue Archive or shakespeares-monologues.org for classical pieces. I agree, it's very hard to find online sources for contemporary pieces, and I don't let my students use stand-alone pieces such as are found on sites like ActorPoint. I'll probably also link Project Gutenberg (just because it's so good useful), the Folger Shakespeare Library, and Playbill.com, plus James Madison University has some great information about overused monologues and recommended play reading.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 13.  RE: Theatre Web site

Posted 06-24-2016 09:45

Hello! 

Here is the site I have developed. I see the website as a resource for the students-a kind of one stop shop for everything. Check it out! It's a weebly generated site and it has a super easy interface: Oak Park High School Theatre

Oak Park High School Theatre remove preview
    Oak Park High School Theatre
    Oak Park High School Theatre Department
    View this on Oak Park High School Theatre >
    Brian Gehrlein
    Theatre Director
    Liberty MO

• 14.  RE: Theatre Web site

Posted 06-25-2016 06:26

FYI Free website - wix.com. I any of you want to create a website, check out wix.com.  I created my own website and it was not difficult.  It turned out better than the 2 previous ones which I paid someone to create.  You pay a small fee if you do not want the ads to appear on your website after publishing. 

Corinne Walker
    Lyon, France

• 15.  RE: Theatre Web site

Posted 06-25-2016 07:16

Some excellent examples of websites shared so far, already I've got some inspiration to go and update our troupe's site. 

I share it below so you can see what else you can do, though I need to update the site before the we year starts ( and get some 'Shrek' photos up!)

Chump Change Theatre

Chump Change Theatre remove preview
    Chump Change Theatre
    Comedy Chump Change Theatre's Improv group, The Chumps, hope to entertain you with skits and bits based on your suggestions for a night of mad-cap comedy and quick wit. Friday May 13th, 2016 ...
    View this on Chump Change Theatre >
    Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL