Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Organization of prop storage

Posted 06-18-2016 16:55

Hi everyone!

We are undertaking the daunting task of organizing our prop storage this summer. (God help us.) Anyone have any clever organizational hacks, suggestions, or solutions they'd be willing to share? We'd love any ideas you'd be willing to pass on.

Thanks! :)

------------------------------
    Jennifer Farrell Dinndorf
    Chapter Director, MN Thespians
    English and Theater Teacher
    Chaska High School
    Chaska, MN

• 2.  RE: Organization of prop storage

Posted 06-20-2016 07:08

Jennifer,

Clear storage bins and labels! I did this last summer and it has made a huge difference in finding things. I use the shoebox sized clear ones for wigs (less than $1 a piece). I was able to snag the old mailbox from the office when they remodeled and they fit perfectly in the little cubbies. My storage space is small, but the ceilings are high, so we went up with the clothing racks. We must use a ladder to get to the top one, but we put things we rarely use up there. I think I spent about $200 total on bins and brackets and pipe - not too bad and a good investment. Good luck!

S. Rebecca Cates
    English Teacher/Theatre Director
    Madison Southern High School
    Berea KY

• 3.  RE: Organization of prop storage

Posted 06-20-2016 13:01

Wow! That is one heck of a project!  :-)

About 10-12 years ago I did a similar project for a local theatre which has a huge (as in ginormous) prop and furniture collection and a very active rental program. The purpose of the project was to increase the rentals (which were a good source of income) by setting up a web site with photos and descriptions of everything. The project ended up having three phases:

1. Organize the collection

When I took over, the bulk of the smaller items were stored in large cardboard bankers' boxes (the ones made for legal files), which were about fourteen inches wide by twelve deep by about two feet long. These were stored, two or three boxes high, on very sturdy steel shelves. The boxes were already labeled, but not too well, so I re-labeled them and also numbered them. Then, in preparation for phase 2, I also numbered all the shelves. Part of this involved weeding out the stuff and throwing out damaged items or anything we knew would never be used again.

In the end, we had sort of a department-store setup: an area with so many boxes for kitchen and serving stuff, another area for small electronics, another area for books and magazines, and so forth. It was really easy to just go to the area you wanted, and there was the stuff.

2. Inventory the collection 

Now that the pieces were physically organized, we did an inventory, which was necessary for creating the web site. I set up a spreadsheet on my then-current-but-now-ancient Palm VIIx and wrote up the pieces as I went. I won't go into the geek-speak here  :-)   but it actually worked very well and saved a lot of time.

This was also where we photographed every item and gave it a tag number -- and where we made some executive decisions. For instance, if we had eight dinner plates which were exactly the same, we didn't give each one a number; we just gave a number to this type of dinner plate and listed the quantity as eight. Same for hardbacks. The inventory said "Book, hardback," and the quantity as whatever it was, probably 100 or so. The book photo showed six or eight books, enough to tell someone what they looked like.

I can give you more info on this if you want, but the above is the general idea.

3. Create the web site

The visual design of the web site has been changed since I created it ten or so years ago, but it still works the same way: basically a department store, and the original photos are still there (unfortunately some photos are missing). You can visit it and see how we did the photos and tag numbers at www.dmtrentals.org.

Good luck! This can be a huge project, but have fun with it and keep a sense of humor!

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 4.  RE: Organization of prop storage

Posted 06-21-2016 00:00
    We organized props this last year. I had two TA's who worked with me everyday during my free period. We had a number of high shelves which we loaded with baskets. Each basket held a type of item. i.s house hold decorations. We then had clear tubs we got at big lots and filled with like items. i.e materials, shoes, hats. Kitchen things are one area. Electronics another, toys another. Everything is packed but seen and not getting dusty or broken.
    Susan Cox
    Heritage Christian Northridge

• 5.  RE: Organization of prop storage

Posted 06-21-2016 17:50

Hello!

I don't know your space needs but I hope the following will help.  Excuse me if I have mentioned something that you already know or is repeated.

I have played this game many of times, so here is my advice:

1) Measure out your space.  Very important! Every inch of your space matters in a storage area.

2) Consider the traffic flow in your area.  Make sure to avoid blocking entrances and exits into the storage space. 

3) Consider your fire codes.  Very important especially in schools.  We have a fire marshall who stops by every year.  This will save you some grief in the long run. planning beforehand can save you some money and time for your project.

4) Consider and collaborate with others who might use your storage area.  Our props room is also attached to our stage and many people store their belongings in the area. We had to accommodate others from the school.  This rule also pertains to parents and students of your theatre department. How accessible is your area? Can they come and o as they please? How can you put them to work in order to keep the space clean?

5) Map out your movement through the space.  Think about how your storage space would work best for you and you department. Would it work better to line the walls with props, or make aisles?

6) Organize your props in categorized areas and clearly label.  Categories such as all kitchen utensils and serving ware on the left side of the room, all office supplies/ electronics on the right side, florals in the middles, soft goods on bottom.

7) Find sturdy shelves.  Adjustable wide and deep shelves are very handy for props.  Make sure the shelves are heavy duty. check with your school surplus. they might have some reat shelves gathering dust.

8) Buy organizing materials and labels.  Clear tupperware is a smart decision for your props! you can buy in bulk at staples for a great price.  Also check for items hanging around at school. Maybe have donations for what you want.  Make sure you have clear labels.  Label your boxes on ALL FOUR SIDES and your shelf ( the location for the box in case the box is moved out of the area.)

9) Don't forget vertical storage.  If you have really high ceilings in your space, don't be afraid to go up!  Check with your fire codes, but their are many creative ways to store vertically.  You can use pulley systems, hooks, platforms, garage over hanging baskets, etc.

10) PURGE!  This is usually the hardest step for any props person/director, but get rid of props you do not need.  first get rid of the broken, unfixable, and deteriorated props. Then ( this is the hard part) get rid of the show specific props.  Sell them, rent them, donte them or give them away to cast members, but get rid of them. They might be the best set of Audrey 2 plant pods from Little Shop of Horrors, but they will sit on your shelf and take up space/gather dust. You want to keep the versatile props.  Things you know you are going to use again. By purging your items, it will create more space for future props you might keep in the future.

I hope this helps!

Evelyn Carlile
    Drama Director
    Canton GA