Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Kiss Me Kate Too Risque?

Posted 06-16-2016 10:40

I'm fairly decided on doing Kiss Me Kate this Spring. I have the right cast for it, and since we did Little Shop of Horrors this last year I want to do something a but more traditional. I am very familiar with the show and even performed the show when I was in high school. However, I'm becoming more and more anxious about some of the songs beings a bit risque. We had no issues when I was in HS, but times have changed over the last 11 years. I'm not tenured yet, so I'm I'm trying to play it safe. But I do think that this is the right show for this particular group of students. Am I being too cautious?

------------------------------
    Rachel Snow
    Drama Teacher

• 2.  RE: Kiss Me Kate Too Risque?

Posted 06-16-2016 11:29

I'd suggest you have the Principal read and approve the the script. Give it to some parent's for approval too. Might even ask a local minister to read it. Cover your butt!

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Kiss Me Kate Too Risque?

Posted 06-17-2016 08:29

I directed KMK here about 6 years ago. This is a fairly conservative community, but fortunately I teach in an advanced arts program, so we have room to be a little edgy (my first musical here was URINETOWN). The only two issues I remember from KMK was that Lily has to say "bastard" several times, and there's some mild sexual innuendo in "Too Darn Hot." I got permission from my principal on the language issue, because frankly I felt that the lines didn't carry the same meaning if the language was cut or altered. We didn't change anything in "Too Darn Hot," but the dance was a fairly traditional Golden Age big dance number and not AT ALL sexy or seductive. You may want to check the script for anything else and show the lyrics to "Too Darn Hot" to your principal.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 4.  RE: Kiss Me Kate Too Risque?

Posted 06-17-2016 10:52

I would never in a 1,000 years think of KISS ME, KATE as risque in the least. To me, if you have to ask about KMK being questionable, you should probably ask the players directly involved in your own community because you are going to get a WIDE range of opinions on this topic.

At our school, we do unedited productions of SPRING AWAKENING, CABARET, RENT, and AMERICAN IDIOT and people show up in droves for the productions. Another teacher who commented suggested that you contact a local minister!?!?! Wow. My jaw dropped. It would be unthinkable in my district to include spiritual leaders in our play selection process.

None of my comments are meant to be judgmental. To me, this discussion is eye-opening. It's incredible that there are places where KMK is a title that would raise eyebrows. Your question speaks to the wide chasm that exists with regard to community standards.

Joe King
    Theatre Director
    School District of Shorewood
    Shorewood WI

• 5.  RE: Kiss Me Kate Too Risque?

Posted 06-17-2016 11:39

Years ago, our high school was one of the first, if not the first, to produce CHICAGO.  We had a Mormon superintendent and a Mormon cast as the lead, Roxie.  I went through that script with a fine tooth comb and had every line, every swear, every curse, every cigarette, every drink, every gun shot EVERYTHING justified.  This happens because of this.  This is said because of this.  

They came to see the play.  The superintendent and the school board.  And then they came back.  And they wrote to their colleagues and peers to come see the play too.  We ended up getting a huge financial donation from the superintendent and the board.  "We need to spend money on the arts too, not just football."  You could have knocked me over with a feather.  CHICAGO put our high school on the map, in an area where there is a lot of competition in theatre, as the school that produces commercial AND artistic materials.  We have been able to produce several national and state premieres since then. 

My point is: if you feel this is the right production for your students and your community, then do it.  Make sure all your ducks are in a row.  I disagree with the idea of inviting clergy to weigh in on your decision, but to ask for feedback can be helpful.  And there is a difference. 

Amusing side note: The following year we produced OKLAHOMA. One of the more uptight members of the administration came to me and said, "You see Janet, you see, this is what the people want to see."  I just smiled. I didn't mention that in OKLAHOMA a man is shot, a man is stabbed, a woman is sold for $50, there is drinking and cheating, and gender roles are generally unbalanced....but I was glad she was enjoying the production.

All the best to you.

Janet VanWess
    (Liberty High School - Hillsboro, Oregon)
    Portland OR

• 6.  RE: Kiss Me Kate Too Risque?

Posted 06-17-2016 13:39

While I personally can't think of anything risque about KMK I can understand your concern. I have a fairly conservative community here as well and have held off doing the show because of the spanking onstage. I got SPAMALOT through last year though :) 

I would definitely have your principal okay the script. What I did for SPAMALOT was create an index, including the specific page and line, where I thought there might be issues. After he read the script we sat down and went over each individual concern and addressed how to handle them. I gave (on a lot of things) ad he gave on some others and eventually we were able to agree on where the line was drawn for our individual school that left both of us comfortable. 

If you have concerns they are probably valid for your situation. If you have any parents who are comfortable supporting you on this I'd get them to write out the specific reasons they support your choice in show and provide to your principal as well. Good luck!

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 7.  RE: Kiss Me Kate Too Risque?

Posted 06-17-2016 17:07

A play based on Shakespeare might be risqué?  Say it isn't so!

In all truthfulness, the advice I've read about taking your concerns and justifications to the Administrative staff is the route I would (and have) taken.  You would certainly get to know how cautious and conservative they are, and it would be an excellent exercise in building the trust so they will back you on your choices whatever they might be.

At least until a new Administrator becomes responsible for your department ...

Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Clover Park High School
    Lakewood, Washington

• 8.  RE: Kiss Me Kate Too Risque?

Posted 06-18-2016 22:04

More disappointed you are doing the 10000th production of KMK instead of something new and unknown.    And to the parents that ask, why can't you do sound of music, once again I say stop living in the past.   You are preventing good young musical writers from making a living.   If we all thought this way back in the 60s you wouldn't have half of the wonderful shows that were produced.    And they were not based in movies, sequels, Disney rides and marvel comics.

Leon Kalayjian