Open Forum

View Only

Theatrical Storage

• 1.  Theatrical Storage

Posted 06-15-2016 12:23

So I have a storage delemia-situation

Basically we have very little... however, I feel I'm expected to not complain since I have some storage...

My current situation is that I have a small closet in the basement hallway were I have platforms up on edge as well as come 4x8 flats.. the room is stuffed... and does not allow me to have much in the way of stock platforms flats, but it is something and I appreciate it!

I also had a closet down a tunnel and off of another room in our basement hallway..for about 6 years.... this year the room the closet was off of was turned into a classroom... I ended up moving into another closet directly off the basement tunnel and it was larger so it was an upgrade...(a much needed one.. it allowed us to get the costumes out of boxes... We spent about 400 installing a two tiered pipe situation.  It also allowed us to have a space with a sewing machine set up as well. However, I just got informed that I now have to move everything out of that space.. and they are not providing another space at this time for the props and costumes to go... so all props and costumes will need to be moved...I need to provide solutions.... 

It has been suggested that I move everything backstage (there are many problems with this.) or even into my classroom... I don't think people realize just how much stuff it is.. plus I already teach 4 subjects out of my room and have the supplies for those classes.... there is a loft space above the stage left wing, but is accessible only through a vertical ladder... I've suggested several times for them to add staircase to make it a viable storage area.. the the cost would be high to have one put in... (this is the best solution I feel and utilizes the space better)

I could have cabinetry built/installed in my room along a wall and have all the costumes moved int along with props.. but I don't like the idea of an entire wall of built in cabinetry... I would lose that wall for other things as well... plus it would still be several thousand dollars for cabinetry...I know others mean well by suggesting to put it my room... but quite frankly I'm upset that they seem to think I should..... Most of them only teach one subject.. let alone accommodate 4 different ones in the same space.... Right now I'm not willing to store all these items which are primarily for the Musical in my regular classroom...but if we don't have storage to keep things the cost of ours shows will dramatically increase along with time spent to rebuild everything from scratch.. I think I will suggest a loft for my room since it is very tall...I would be willing if the items were on a different level keeping it out of reach of my regular classes....but once again money...

Every solution involves spending a good deal of money though which I'm not sure they are wiling to do.. I'm worried about everything being dumped in my room or backstage... (I also have to build/construct in the performance space... so most of my wing space is a wood shop...  I'm worried to just completely losing everything and the cost implication to our program...

I feel angry and made to feel ungrateful.. and maybe I am overreacting... but I feel an obligation to do things the right way.... We are trying to grow a program and keep the cost down for the school and the students but still providing a high quality product.  People now have expectations for our productions...  I do not feel the school understands the needs of a theatrical program...especially when they want a certain production level...All the rooms that used to belong to theatre have been taken over by other entities... even the ticket booth stores the band uniforms.....we do have a nice space, but we are crunched...

So what is the storage situation at other schools... anyone else deal with similar problems...I know others have it worse.... Like all programs I do the best with what we have...which is often not ideal.....  I'm planning on advocating when I'm calmer... with positive and negatives for each possible solution, but right now I'm just angry and upset.....

Thanks for lending an ear...

------------------------------
    Rachel Ferrari-Engel
    Teacher
    Pittsburgh Pa

• 2.  RE: Theatrical Storage

Posted 06-15-2016 16:22

Hi, Rachel!

This hit home for me in so many ways, and I'm guessing plenty of the other theatre educators. We are doing a massive reorganize of our space this summer so this is fresh on my mind.

I would start with moving everything backstage temporarily and start a running list of the reorganization plan. I would also devise a well-worded, thoughtful write-up of the benefit of the stairs being constructed to the loft storage space. Talk numbers. Do you have a welding or shop program who can construct the stairs? If so, the cost is lessened since students and teachers are constructing the stairs (this option is only okay if local school protocol does not prevent this kind of construction). Additionally, you can mention that without the storage space, large flats and set pieces will have to be thrown out. Throwing out these items every year just to be reconstructed or reworked will, in the long run, cost more than the stairs.

I'm sorry this is happening to your space. You are not being ungrateful. Sometimes it really does feel as though we are up against the wall.

Best wishes!

Jessica Rodriguez
    Theatre Teacher
    Rosenberg TX

• 3.  RE: Theatrical Storage

Posted 06-16-2016 08:40

Wow, do I feel your pain!  I've been the costumer at a private 6-12 school for more than 10 years.  It took us FOREVER (more than 10 years, to be exact) to persuade administration that we needed a space that was clean and as climate-controlled as possible.  Before that, we shared costumes with moths, mice, and light-fingered students.

Once administration (through the wonderful work of our maintenance gentlemen) realized how much money we were losing through loss of stock, we got a new space (refurbished former shooting gallery in one of the dorm basements). One of the first things I did, with the help of the middle school costumer and one of the theater teachers, was weed out, and I do mean seriously weed out.  Anything with feathers that was salvageable, into plastic bags.  Other feathered items, out.  Anything with severe moth, mouse, or mold damage, out.  Anything questionable, to the Salvation Army.  Got rid of all coats (except for a couple of trenches).  Shoes, out (mold damaged); only character shoes and combat boots for us, now.  It hurt, no doubt about it, but once we proved we were serious about running leaner, administration paid attention.

It took a LONG time, but now we know where everything is, and my costume crew students are no longer arachnophobic about pulling stock when I send them to the space.  I wish you the best of luck, from the bottom of my costumer's heart!

Joanne Buyniski
    Whitinsville MA

• 4.  RE: Theatrical Storage

Posted 06-17-2016 06:31
    We share your pain! I was able to get a 10x10 storage shed, which the maintenance crew rigged with a dehumidifier (we're on Cape Cod-very humid) and we built a few shelves and closet poles. Works like a dream. We stayed with that size shed because anything bigger would need a building permit. The only thing I don't store there are shoes and hats, which I store in attic space because I use the hats rarely. Cost about 2500, which we paid for with a grant. Suggest that, and have your cost saving numbers all lined up for admin. Comparing it to sports equipment might help. Do they store all that on the sidelines of the gym? Also fabric in a theatre must be fire retardant, so there is a safety issue in storing it Ina theatre! Insurance would have a field day with that! Good luck!

Sent from my iPad

• 5.  RE: Theatrical Storage

Posted 06-17-2016 09:07

We have a similar problem as well.  We've been working on getting the room directly off stage dedicated to theater-- it's currently used for one section of art all year-- and are hopeful that it will happen.  While our space is being painted this summer.  In preperation, we've had to clean out a lot of stuff so the walls can be clear and while I have not enjoyed the process, cleaning out in preparation has been pretty helpful.  It's amazing what one will throw away when faced with the problem of moving it and wrapping it in plastic

One thing that I've found helpful is to use Banker Boxes for storage as they are all uniform in size and shape.  They also have handy labels on the front and can be stacked pretty comfortably.

Best

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 6.  RE: Theatrical Storage

Posted 06-16-2016 10:07

Hi Rachel!

As with everyone else, I feel your pain! At my school, we have random closets attached to the auditorium and the tech room has been used as a storage for sets for so long that most people here don't realize that it's not a storage space.

Building up, while a big cost, will definitely help. We also have a trailer outside of the tech room loading doors that stores some pieces as well. Is that something you could do? Rental pods aren't terribly expensive (at least, not in my area), and you can lock them so nothing disappears. I would not suggest putting costumes in there, unless they are in sealed tubs, as most pods/trailers are not rodent proof.

At my last school, I had a wall of cabinets for storing costumes, which wasn't as big of a hassle as I thought it was going to be. I used the cabinet doors to display student work and/or relevant posters. But, I did have to deal with other people (English, Film and Photography Classes)  coming in to "borrow" costumes for projects, as they now knew these costumes existed and assumed that if it was stored at the school, it was fair game.

I think if you put together a professional quote of what each option will cost and present that to your admin, they'll be more likely to see what being bumped from your other spaces means. Lots of time, admin just has no clue how theatre works until you lay out all of the facts (and costs) in an easy to understand format.

Good luck!!!

Allison MB
    Theatre Teacher / Director
    Nashoba HS

• 7.  RE: Theatrical Storage

Posted 06-16-2016 12:18

This won't be much help directly, but it might give you some ideas as to where to cut down if needed -- my blog post on saving stuff or not:

https://setdesignandtech.wordpress.com/2016/02/16/saving-stuff-or-not/

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 8.  RE: Theatrical Storage

Posted 06-16-2016 12:41

Have you/administration explored the option of some sort of storage shed or trailer or "POD" that could be placed near your theatre space?  Even if it is temporary while you get those stairs to your loft space ;)  If the band uniforms are in the ticket booth, it sounds like they might have a storage issue as well.....perhaps the expense of a portable storage unit could be split between the programs to give them storage for their uniforms as well.

Some schools also have unused/underused storage sheds near the athletic fields....not ideal weather-wise, but maybe an idea to explore. In that case, you would need numerous clear plastic storage bins for your costumes to get out the critters and avoid soggy cardboard situations.

These aren't the best solutions, but I thought I'd just try to help throw some more thoughts out there since it sounds like you are really grasping!

Megan D'Orvilliers
    Coral Springs FL

• 9.  RE: Theatrical Storage

Posted 06-16-2016 17:03

Hi Rachel,

Is there any space outside your school building? Faced with a similar problem many years ago, it was recommended that I contact a shipping container company to see if they might donate a used/retired shipping container to the school. Since you are near the Port of Pittsburgh, you might have some luck. With the help of some parents making inquiries, we were able to find a company that donated and delivered two 20-foot containers. Our only responsibility was to provide and clear the space (with truck access) and purchase 16 cinder blocks (and 2 locks) for each, on which the shipping containers would sit. We placed them behind the school and painted them white. They're not pretty and can get very hot inside, but for many years they housed our flats, platforms, legs, large pieces of furniture and lumber. Because of heat and humidity, I would not recommend them for costume or prop storage. 

Good luck!

Jim Hoare
    Vice President, Education & Community Initiatives
    TRW
    New York NY

• 10.  RE: Theatrical Storage

Posted 06-16-2016 17:12
    I feel your pain quite literally. At my school, we have a loft above one end of the stage with a vertical ladder that serves as a lumber loft. It is nerve-wracking for me when we put up flats, periaktoi, and other set pieces, but at least it is something. A coach has an office on our stage, which is in a gym. There is a small room about equal to his office size that used to be the cheerleaders room, and it has lockers back to back down the middle from the previous drama teacher's time. This was the only way she could devise to have a boys' dressing room and girls' dressing room. However, this is not only a dressing room, but also our only space for costume storage. A few years ago half of this space was given to a coach for storage. 

Numerous keys are out to our space, and since the stage does not have security cameras on it, we have been unable to document the numerous times our area has been broken into or trashed by others not involved with our program.

At one point, I was told we would be given a portion of the old locker rooms under the stage, but it didn't happen, our stage is shared by drama, the cheerleaders (It is the only space where they can leave their tumbling mats down if we are not using the space. I have a great working relationship with their sponsors, since we grew up together.), and the band. The band has taken over the locker rooms under the stage, and they also had thrown things in our lumber loft after the supt. allegedly told him it was okay to put things up there. I said it was a major liability for his kids to be up there In case of nails, splinters, not to mention that vertical ladder! His stuff was moved to the opposite loft, which used to be prom storage but is not anymore. As for the locker rooms, they flood sometimes when it rains, so I really wouldn't want our stuff down there, personally. The band has figured out a way to have everything up off the floor, and if we were to ever move down there it would be necessary for such a system to be put in place for us as well.

There was a meeting between myself, the cheer sponsors, the band director, and the principal before the end of the year. An agreement of whose areas are whose is supposed to be being typed up for us all to sign, but I haven't seen it yet. The coach who was given part of my space has since left, and the one using it now says he just needs a cabinet built. I am supposed to get the whole room back. I told the principal that I would like to have the lockers pulled out. They could live on the stage and be padlocked. I think temporary folding screens may be employed when it needs to be a dressing space, and then they could be put away when we're pulling costumes, or constructing them. I told him I want closet type rods and maybe some shelves installed on the back wall. I really want the locks changed too, where I and maintenance are the only ones with access to them, but I don't know if I will get that wish.

--
    Jennifer Vernon, NBCT - AYA English Language Arts,
    English II, journalism, speech, and drama instructor,
    Piggott High School,
    Piggott, Arkansas

Check out my classroom projects!
    www.donorschoose.org/jvernon

• 11.  RE: Theatrical Storage

Posted 06-17-2016 20:37

This problem of inadequate storage space can be traced-back to William Shakespeare - he wrote: "All the world's a stage . . . "  (hence, no storage!)

An important consideration to discuss is the fuel load that anything and everything on a stage, above a stage, up on 'storage lofts', hanging from battens, and even under the stage, contributes to a fire should one occur.

• Plastic storage shelves, plastic storage containers, and dry cleaning bags will create deadly dark black toxic smoke should a fire occur.  This is bad enough in a storage room, but can be disastrous on stage.  Storage of any plastic items (like costumes in dry-cleaning bags) on the stage rigging battens is discouraged, because if there is a fire then hot molten plastic could drip down on people trying to exit the building.
    • Fabrics (couches, drapes, costumes, flat coverings), Scenery (flats, platforms, platform legs) and Props (tables, chairs, lamps, and anything made of styrofoam or any other type of foam, etc.), must be treated with fire retardant (or made from Inherently Fire Retardant [IFR] material) if they are to be used or stored onstage (per NFPA 101 Life Safety Code).  Your operating budgets should have the cost of these chemicals included in them, as should the time budgeted to actually apply the treatments as a part of your standard operating procedures - this is not 'optional'.  If you are going to move bulk quantities of untreated materials onto the stage, then the local Fire Marshal should be informed of what these goods are, and the quantities involved, and the approval to 'break the law' should be in his court.

Most Building Fire Codes prohibit the stacking of any goods (boxes, loose items, etc.) within 24" of the ceiling or the lowest level that there are fire sprinkler heads.  Don't "pack it to the rafters."

Elevated storage platforms (lofts, mezzanines) must have guard rails to prevent persons from falling off of them.  Railings must be at least 42" tall, have a 4" tall toe-board / kick-plate at the base, and at least one mid-rail between the top rail and the top of the toe-board.  Vertical supports (posts) can't be any further apart than 8 feet on center, and the over-all railing structure must be able to resist a 200 pound force in any direction (varies slightly by building code and OSHA jurisdiction).  Where there is a pass-through for ladder access, it must have a self-closing safety gate to prevent someone from accidentally stepping through the opening.  If the space isn't safe enough for students, then it isn't safe enough for anyone (the law doesn't discriminate).  If appropriate, install a locking cover over the ladder to prevent unauthorized access.

Loading stored goods up-to and off-of elevated platforms is very hazardous work.  The workers up-top can be tempted to lead-over the railing to pass items up or down, and in doing-so, frequently forget that their net center-of-gravity (COG) (see?  Physics at work in the theatre!  STEAM) is shifted when the weight of the item is added to their own weight, and can drag them over the railing and to the floor below.  Therefore, installing a trolley beam or davit arm with a manual or motorized hoist should be strongly considered.  Let the building carry the load, not the people.

Make sure that the elevated platform / loft / mezzanine' floor is load-rated for what you intend to store up there.  Don't assume it is strong enough - verify it with the school's architect / structural engineer.  Have someone sign-off on it so they take the responsibility for it.  No signature.  No storage.  Every floor has a maximum over-all load capacity and a maximum pounds-per-square-foot (or Kg/sq meter) load capacity.

Storage in a basement under a stage has special limitations, as anything that might catch fire down there could potentially burn-through the trap-room ceiling and stage floor and cause a catastrophic problem.  Verify with the local Fire Marshal what the limitations, if any are for storage of goods in these spaces.

Review your Fire Extinguisher location plan with the Fire Marshal.  We recommend that ALL Stages, Black Box theatres, and Scenery Shops have a minimum of four (4) 20 Lb (10Kg) ABC type Fire Extinguishers (one at each corner of the space), and that each and every storage room, costume, and auxiliary space have at least one (1) 20 Lb (10Kg) ABC type Fire Extinguisher.  You can never be too close to a Fire Extinguisher.  When you need it, you need it NOW!  Of course, it helps if people actually know how to properly use a Fire Extinguisher, so the first day of class each semester there should be a Fire Extinguisher safety and use presentation for ALL of the theatre staff and students (basic policy is:  If you have not attended this, you are not allowed in the shop or on the stage).  "Theatre staff" includes any other teachers from other departments that might use your stage at any time during the semester - music, choral, band, football, debate team, etc.  They are equally responsible to see that the facility is kept Fire Safe.  Part of this training should include a walk-through of the theatre plant that points-out each and every one of the Fire Extinguishers.  It never hurts to remind people that they should never pile junk in front of the Fire Extinguishers, Fire Doors, or Fire Alarm Pull Stations.  "Items found piled in front of these locations will be crushed, melted, and sold for scrap!"

Increasing the fuel load on the stage also increase the amount of toxic smoke that will have to be evacuated from the stage house when there is a fire.  Above the stage, most facilities are equipped with 'Smoke Vents' which are big doors (hatches) that (should be able to) open automatically to vent the smoke.  Although the Fire Code says they are supposed to be inspected every year (or, formerly, every two years), the reality is that they are almost never inspected and exercised to see if they operate correctly.  As a person that inspects these, I can attest to the poor operating functionality I frequently find.  Many hatches have NEVER been inspected or tested!  These vents take special understanding of how they are supposed to operate in a theatrical environment, something that is beyond the abilities of most school maintenance departments and local Fire Marshals.  If your stage is equipped with a Fire Curtain, then the Smoke Vents are supposed to function in a coordinated manner with the Fire Curtain and the Fire Doors so they work together as a SYSTEM, not just flapping about as a bunch of separate parts.  Smoke Vents, Fire Doors, and Fire Curtains require a coordinated annual inspection to ensure that they are all functioning and working together properly.

The re-purposing of rooms in a building (changing them from their original purpose to a new use) can potentially change their Fire Code classification.  This, in turn, can change the types of doors, door hardware, and fire protection required.  School Districts are generally oblivious to this, but their Risk department that deals with Insurance rates may want a say in these changes (as they may also be concerned with the fall-injury issues of elevated storage access).  Get the requested changes in writing from your administrators so that you cannot be held accountable should anything go wrong.  If you have concerns that the requested changes may create a hazardous condition that they have not considered, talk to them; and if you are not satisfied with their response, write a letter expressing your concerns and your understanding of their response.  COA.  Keep a paper trail.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 12.  RE: Theatrical Storage

Posted 06-18-2016 18:48

Thanks Erich.  Excellent Information.  Very Helpful.

I think we should all print out Erich's recommendations for storage management and really work on making them part of our operating approach in our schools.

Sometimes we see others come up with "clever" solutions-- only to find out latter that that was a really bad idea.

I'm glad we have consultants like Erich to help us grapple with many of the issues we face in our positions as theater directors and teachers.

I think it is also very good advice to ask for help from you administration and or school system when faced with issues beyond your area of expertise.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 13.  RE: Theatrical Storage

Posted 06-19-2016 16:11

I would just like to thank everyone for the support and suggestions.  Sometimes its just nice to know I'm not the the only one dealing with similar problems!  I feel connected to many of you through a common thread!

I do plan on on making a comprehensive plan to talk to administration about possible options and solutions with the pro's and con's to each option.  I'm really interested in the cold storage solution a number of individuals suggested.  I've worked for several theater's in the past that have cold storage warehouses at an off location site.  I'm curious what admin would think.  I have never considered it before.  I'm conscious of many of the things that Erich noted and appreciated the detail of information provided!  I will move forward with those things in mind!

Thank you All!!

Rachel Ferrari-Engel
    Teacher
    Pittsburgh PA