Open Forum

View Only

Homeschoolers in Public School Drama Programs

• 1.  Homeschoolers in Public School Drama Programs

Posted 06-13-2016 11:59

I have a couple very involved students who went to being homeschooled when they transitioned to high school. It was my understanding that they could continue in after-school extracurricular activities since their parents pay taxes into our school district to support these activities. Our school board has passed a policy saying that homeschoolers cannot do any extracurricular activity in our district. These parents (with my absolute support) are trying to amend the policy to not include after-school plays. Our plays are 100% after school hours and open-casting. We are looking for anyone who allows or has policies in place at their schools allowing homeschoolers to participate in after-school drama activities. We are especially interested in Mississippi schools, but will accept help from anywhere. Thanks!

------------------------------
    Chelsea Petty
    Columbus MS

• 2.  RE: Homeschoolers in Public School Drama Programs

Posted 06-14-2016 05:27

I would advise the parents to go to the Board of Education and appeal the decision.  I do not see how they can support this policy of not allowing home schooled students from taking any classes in public school, especially an after school play What are they thinking and what are their reasons to exclude these children?  They could also contact their local and state representatives.   There is more going on than meets the eye!

Corinne Walker
    Lyon, France

• 3.  RE: Homeschoolers in Public School Drama Programs

Posted 06-15-2016 10:20

In our district, there is a rule that the student must not have been enrolled in a public school for a period of one year to participate in extracurricular activities if they are being homeschooled. For example: I had a young lady who was active in our troupe when she was a freshman. She continued with our district through her sophomore year. She started homeschooling her junior year. She was not eligible to participate in one of our productions again until the fall of her senior year due to the rule.

Jennifer Vernon
    Piggott AR

• 4.  RE: Homeschoolers in Public School Drama Programs

Posted 06-14-2016 07:19

Our schools policy is they have to be taking at least one class at the school in order to participate in after school activities. I have had home schooled students take one elective - art, choir, drama, etc, and then they can audition. 

Amanda Malo
    Howell MI

• 5.  RE: Homeschoolers in Public School Drama Programs

Posted 06-14-2016 07:54

As taxpayers, I don't see how they can restrict any child from public school services of any kind. I'm in Florida and they have no such restrictions. I have many home schoolers who are in my after school program and some who come in for a class. They are still getting limited FTE funds, so it should be a benefit to the school.

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

• 6.  RE: Homeschoolers in Public School Drama Programs

Posted 06-15-2016 06:42

Our policy is that is the same as if they went to private school and live in our school district.  If the activity/ sport they want to participate is not at their current school or in a home school organization they can do it at our school.   So if there are home school plays they would not be able to do our play.   But if they don't do a musical then they could do our musical.   

Christine Dougherty
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Delsea Regional School District
    Franklinville NJ

• 7.  RE: Homeschoolers in Public School Drama Programs

Posted 06-15-2016 11:42

At first, the policy your board enacted angered me because it goes against what I have been told is law regarding extracurricular participation.  Then I discovered that your school board's policy is against Washington State Law, so that argument fell apart.  A quick survey of the Mississippi Department of Eduction website shows that since at least 2013 there have been attempts to pass bills that allow home school students to participate in extracurricular activities, primarily sports.  Unfortunately, none have been successful.

For now, community support and the route you are taking may be your best bet.  For the long term, it may take getting support at the State level to get bills like the failed 'Tim Tebow Act' in 2015 to be successful in Mississippi.

Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Clover Park High School
    Lakewood, Washington

• 8.  RE: Homeschoolers in Public School Drama Programs

Posted 06-27-2016 16:39

This was a little mind-boggling for me, as in our program we rely on home schooled and other local elementary aged children to provide opportunities for them in our school musicals. We have used elementary children in our productions of 'The Wizard of Oz', 'Antigone,' 'West Side Story', 'Heart's Desire', 'Evita' and in our latest venture, 'Shrek.' Granted, three of those homeschooled children are my own, but we have auditioned and cast many home school children for our productions. Now I'm thinking I ought to check on the legality of that in Florida.

We have all our children's parents sign waivers and media release forms, but I'm genuinely surprised that home schooled students aren't allowed to participate in these activities, especially as it would be near impossible for a home school student to mount and produce an entire play/musical with a cast of one or two and no theatre...

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 9.  RE: Homeschoolers in Public School Drama Programs

Posted 02-05-2018 10:23
    Many  private high school in Maryland are already applying these policies on their programs. Glad to hear it is being implemented everywhere.

arthur hunt
    moscow ID

• 10.  RE: Homeschoolers in Public School Drama Programs

Posted 02-06-2018 08:09
    Our school district, Penn Manor (PA), has a policy that specifically states that home-schooled students MAY participate in extra-curriculars, athletics and theatre.  We have had exceptionally talented students in both areas.  Both are named Jill, coincidentally - but one was a field hockey player who went on to be a part of the USA field hockey team in the last Olympics.  The other was one of our theatre students who is currently touring as Maria in The Sound of Music - for her, she did cyber school her senior year to allow time to participate in regional theatre productions and auditions while balancing her schoolwork. 

Most of our district policies are likely available on our website somewhere - but if you need more info, please let me know.   It sounds like you might be stuck, though, until the policy is officially changed either at the district/state level.

Melissa Mintzer
    Willow Street PA

• 11.  RE: Homeschoolers in Public School Drama Programs

Posted 02-07-2018 15:11
    Our district allows homeschooled students to participate in extra-curricular activities. They charge them a nominal fee ($100) to help offset the fee we pay to our state high school athletics and activities association who sanctions the activities.

Zach Schneider Troupe No. 1
    Natrona County High School
    Wyoming Chapter Director
    Casper WY

• 12.  RE: Homeschoolers in Public School Drama Programs

Posted 02-08-2018 13:18
    ​My district allows home-schooled students to participate in all co-curricular/extra-curricular activities.  I have had a few participate in theater, including a girl who was in the musical last fall.  There have been occasions in the past when the participation in an activity (friends made, exposure to what the school has to offer, etc.) has motivated the student to enroll in the school.

Mark Quinlan
    teacher/director of theater/head speech coach
    Centennial School District, ISD#12
    Circle Pines MN