Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Peter Pan Script

Posted 06-10-2016 08:55
    I'm thinking of directing Peter Pan next year for our Fall play. I ordered the JM Barrie script, but I'm wondering if you have used other adaptions, and if so, which ones?

Sean

---------------------------------
    Sean Kifer
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Grosse Pointe Public School System
    Grosse Pointe Woods MI
    ---------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Peter Pan Script

Posted 06-11-2016 08:43
    I have done the adaptation by Trevor Nunn and John Caird several times. Based on both Barrie's script and novel. Done by the RSC originally. Wonderfully theatrical and true to Barrie's intentions.

Sent from my iPhone

Scanned by the Appleton Area School District Spam Filtering Appliance.

• 3.  RE: Peter Pan Script

Posted 06-11-2016 12:41
    We had great fun doing the original version. I had an awesome (student) set designer who utilized my space so well that one act flowed into another without blackouts. We spent most of our $$ on the set rather than flying. The Darling house was stage left and they "flew" through the audience as the stage lights dimmed and the house lights came to 1/2 while the grand drape slowly opened to reveal Neverland. The mermaid grotto was stage right in the house. The roof of the Darling house came down to become Hook's cabin which was sturdy enough for part of the sword fight - as was the deck of the ship that ran down the stage left side of the house. If you don't have flat house floor or side stages, this concept might not work unless you have a huge stage. Good luck and have fun!! (And don't forget to donate what would be your royalty fee to the Great Ormand Childrens' Hospital!)

• 4.  RE: Peter Pan Script

Posted 06-13-2016 12:35

We're actually doing this one this spring. It's called Peter Pan and Wendy and is adapted by Doug Rand.

https://www.playscripts.com/play/1080#searchterm=peter%20pan

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Peter Pan Script

Posted 06-13-2016 13:11

If you want something quite different and more mature then try "The Terrible Tragedy of Peter Pan" by Phillip Klapperich.

Christopher Dills
    Properties Master & Scenic Designer
    The Omaha Theater Company
    Omaha NE
    www.christopherdills.com

• 6.  RE: Peter Pan Script

Posted 06-15-2016 06:46

Count this a 2nd vote for Peter and Wendy.  Loved doing it a couple of years back.  I did it with Middle School and our nearby High School used it last year as well.  Fun show.  AND  Hello Chris Dills!  Good to see you on here.  

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga

• 7.  RE: Peter Pan Script

Posted 06-15-2016 06:49

Another thought.  The recently released, Peter and the Starcatcher-musical, is the pre-quel to Peter Pan.  Done with an ensemble of men, the ensemble could also include women.  

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga

• 8.  RE: Peter Pan Script

Posted 06-16-2016 07:03

I find Peter and the Starcatchers sadly lacking. It is really far from Barrie's intentions and adds very little to the canon. Kelly Feustel's Peter was the most accurate and intriguing prequel to Peter Pan I've produced. It's a little dark at times, exciting, witty, and cleverly written. It really examines where Peter came from and fills in the holes which Barrie left. 

Thomas Cole
    Bay City MI

• 9.  RE: Peter Pan Script

Posted 06-17-2016 23:04

FYI:  Peter and the Starcatcher is NOT based on the James Barrie story, but on a trilogy for young readers by Dave Barry.  It is a completely different telling of how Peter Pan, Hook and Tinkerbell came into existence; sort of a prequel, if you will.

Marilynn Zeljeznjak
    Blacksburg VA

• 10.  RE: Peter Pan Script

Posted 06-18-2016 08:21

I've read all of Dave Barry's "Peter" books (published by Disney). Of course, the musical, Peter and the Starcatchers, is ultimately (freely) based on the original source material. Dave Barry took the idea from Sir James Barrie and put his own spin on it; it does not coincide well with The Little White Bird. That's fine if you want something different. However, calling this a prequel is actually disingenuous since it doesn't really fit in with what Sir James Barrie started. Sir James was constantly rewriting his theatrical versions, never really finishing the saga, leaving several holes in Peter's origin.  Also, the musical version (by Rees, Timbers, and Elice) does not have a memorable score (my strong opinion). Produce it if you must, but it is really far from Sir James Barrie's Peter Pan.

Thomas Cole
    Bay City MI