Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Shakespeare

Posted 03-05-2014 15:00
    As I walked into school today and noticed that our Librarian and one of English teachers standing in front of one of our students listening as she recited the opening soliloquy of Romeo and Juliet.  

This is pretty common, to have students recite the opening lines from memory.  However I have an issue regarding the practice.  I firmly believe that one of the things that turns most students off of Shakespeare are English teachers (and I can say that as I teach both theater and English).  

I'm all for memorizing, please don't get me wrong, but I take issue with the fact that it is only for the sake of memorizing and not to create and perform a well rehearsed and polished performance.  Therefore most of the recitations are poorly done, rushed and nearly incoherent.  Does this do any good for either the student that has to perform or the rest of the class that has to sit through nearly thirty of such performances?

I'm curious to know what others think. 

-------------------------------------------
    James Smith
    Illinois Chapter Director
    Ridgewood High School

• 2.  RE:Shakespeare

Posted 03-06-2014 09:06
    I always tell my students "The reason you don't like Shakespeare is because you have to read it in English class.  Shakespeare's plays were made to be performed, not read.  English teachers (understandably) love the poetry and tend to forget performance. Decades ago when I was a senior in high school, my English teacher had us reading Hamlet aloud from our seats.  Some of us had been in the schools production a few years earlier.  We were discouraged from acting.  I think we do students teachers and the Bard a disservice by teaching wrote memorization  and flat readings.

Robert DiMartino
    Theatre Teacher
    Cumberland High School

• 3.  RE:Shakespeare

Posted 03-06-2014 09:07
    I always tell my students "The reason you don't like Shakespeare is because you have to read it in English class."  Shakespeare's plays were made to be performed, not read.  English teachers (understandably) love the poetry and tend to forget performance. Decades ago when I was a senior in high school, my English teacher had us reading Hamlet aloud from our seats.  Some of us had been in the schools production a few years earlier.  We were discouraged from acting.  I think we do students teachers and the Bard a disservice by teaching wrote memorization  and flat readings.

Robert DiMartino
    Theatre Teacher
    Cumberland High School

• 4.  RE:Shakespeare

Posted 03-07-2014 10:13
    Memorization in and of itself is not a bad thing. I adapt Shakespeare for young people (see my scripts in EdTA Resource Catalogue).  My method is to use a lot of original text but to mix in some modern language so it is instantly accessible.  I also write in iambic pentameter, so it is easy to memorize. I teacher theatre K-12 and English 6-8, and what I find is that students memorize the verses as if by osmosis, because they want to. When students have ownership of elements of their education, they feel empowered.  My middle school Literacy students cannot wait to read Shakespeare in class; they raise their hands with animation pleading, "Can I read Hermia?  Can I be Lysander?" I like to think this is as it should be. When they reach high school, they are not intimidated by the language of Shakespeare. They recognize most of it, and they are prepared to meet the challenge of reading the original text because they have acted it out; they have learned with their bodies. My two cents.

Richard Carter

• 5.  RE:Shakespeare

Posted 03-06-2014 12:06
    I actually love it when English teachers require students to memorize a bit of Shakespeare.  Good acting looks effortless, so some students (not to mention teachers and administrators) don't understand the skill that goes into performance.  Theatre students shine in these classroom situations, which reflects well on our program and serves as good advertisement.

Besides, I think everyone needs a little Shakespeare tucked into those folds of gray matter, whether or not they can say it well. 

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School