Open Forum

View Only

The little mermaid

• 1.  The little mermaid

Posted 05-31-2016 11:22
    I'm thinking about doing the little mermaid Disney musical with my high school next year. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to make it magical? We don't have the ability to fly things in (or people). Anyone do this show and can give me some liabilities or pluses of doing it?  Thanks!!

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

• 2.  RE: The little mermaid

Posted 05-31-2016 12:15

I did the show this year with no flying effects or anything really "spectacular". My big splurges were on a custom iridescent rain curtain for many of my "under the sea" scenes and I went big on costumes. My decision paid off and the show was very well received and sold out every night.  I have attached a few pictures for reference. If yo have any specific questions I would be glad to answer. 

------------------------------
    Arthur Mendini
    Theatre Academy Instructor
    Vineland NJ

• 3.  RE: The little mermaid

Posted 05-31-2016 13:13

Thanks Arthur! These really help. What did you do about the part where he falls off the ship and she rescues him?

Lorie Baldwin
    High School Theater Teacher and Director
    Richboro PA

• 4.  RE: The little mermaid

Posted 06-01-2016 13:31

At Olney Theater Center in Olney, Maryland, they used 3 or 4 strips of fabric stretched across the stage to be the water when they weren't under the sea.  That was particularly effective when he was drowning, because the people holding the fabric ends in the wings lifted the fabric several times so you could see him tumbling in slow motion, then the strip would cover him again.  His upper torso would appear above a strip of fabric, hands reaching up, then he would be submerged again.

I've used fabric as water in children's theatre many, many times, but it also worked well in that regional production.  

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 5.  RE: The little mermaid

Posted 06-02-2016 07:46

Thank you everybody for your help and suggestions! I feel inspired to take the voyage under the sea!

Lorie Baldwin
    High School Theater Teacher and Director
    Richboro PA

• 6.  RE: The little mermaid

Posted 06-03-2016 12:41

Lorie, We just closed Mermaid...it was a one of the most enjoyable musicals I have directed. As it is my favorite of all the Disneys, I did not want to screw it up! We used the MT Pit music, which sounded terrific. My students brainstormed all the set and scene change needs, then we worked with a professional designer. The permanent set of stacked lego-slabs became whatever was needed by lighting changes and a few pieces. It was the ship, castle rooms, the beach and also Tritan's Court. Downstage was always water, if lit. Stemming from a pinterest idea, we built six coral pieces, two in "Ursula colors," that we used in underwater scenes. Students created umbrella jellyfish that were spectacular, swimming across during the Overture.  Attached are some photos from our final dress. Show pics can be viewed at http://www.schools.studioaltius.com/whitfield/galleries/20160413musical/ 

Amy

Amy Allen Cano
    Whitfield School
    St Louis MO

• 7.  RE: The little mermaid

Posted 09-22-2016 07:40

We are doing Mermaid in the Spring and I was wondering if any of your costumes were available to rent/purchased?

Thank you!

Brian Hough

Brian Hough
    Commack NY

• 8.  RE: The little mermaid

Posted 06-01-2016 09:32
    We just did TLM in late March and it, too, was a big success. We starting selling tickets online in November and we eventually sold out all five performances. It is kind of crazy how popular this show is with young families. Some people drove hours just to see our show.

Also, be prepared for Ariel to spend lots of time in the lobby with little kids after the show. Ursula was also very popular with the young audience members. Weird, I thought, but true! We did a Tea with Ariel event that was very popular -- we could have sold two days worth if we would have had the room in our schedule.

We did not fly anyone nor did we rent/purchase any drops. Our scenery was fairly simple and we, too, emphasized costumes.

We committed hard to using fabric for the water and spent money on good fabric that had texture and variation so that it did not look like kids shaking bed sheets at the foot of the stage. 

The scene where Ariel saves Eric from drowning was carefully choreographed and lit and I think it was one of the most successful moments in our show.

We have a lot of pics from the show on our FB page. I cannot send you the link because I cannot access FB on my school computer. Our page is called simply Firestone Theatre. We are happy to help if we can.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    333 Rampart Avenue
    Akron, Ohio 44313

333-873-3408

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 9.  RE: The little mermaid

Posted 06-02-2016 08:14

We did Little Mermaid Jr. with our Middle level a few years ago and it was delightful! We did no flying but we did put all of the Mer-people  and Flounder on heelies. It was great fun! The kids had a blast both in rehearsal and in performance. I do remember thinking that at least the junior version was very heavy set wise. It had NUMEROUS very short scenes and lots of different sets. I guess that's what you get with Disney. We simplified the sets and made it work but a big stage crew was essential.  It may be very different in the full version. I thought the show was amazing and held together beautifully without too many challenges. If you can get moving lighting involved the scenes really pop.  The show also provided a great way to feature lots of girls. Bet your kids will love it! 

Nell Lynch

• 10.  RE: The little mermaid

Posted 06-01-2016 10:01

We did the show this past March.  Sold out two weekends before we even opened.  Could have sold a third.  When you say you aren't able to do flying is that because you don't have a fly house?  Our theatre doesn't either but I've done lots of flying.  Companies like ZFX or Hall and Associates will be able to deadhang track from whatever superstructure you have.  You can get by with a single track or maybe two for the flying/swimming effects in LM.  We also simulated water with the dance/movement ensemble using Isis Wings which were a really cool way to create the ocean. lagoon, etc.  I'd be happy to talk with you about it.  We also focused a great deal on costumes which we built and they are available to rent if you are interested.  We also built and utilized puppets for the lead non-human characters along the "Avenue Q" route.  You can check out pics on our Facebook page--just scroll down a bit:  Appleton North High School Theatre

Facebook remove preview

Appleton North High School Theatre

View this on Facebook >
    Ron Parker
    Appleton WI

• 11.  RE: The little mermaid

Posted 06-03-2016 11:54

We also did TLM this past April. I looked to puppetry for solutions on how to creative movement and consistency in the aquatic world. We rented large puppets for Flounder, Sebastian, Scuttle, Flotsam, and Jetsam (seen in photo), and veil fans (from the belly dancing world) for flowing fish fins, and kites mounted on pvc pipes for flamingos and turtles in the lagoon. The girls had isis irridescent wings for swans in the lagoons, which created the space needed as well. For water, we used special lightiing instruments and color, no fabric. The black cyc helped divide shore and sea for the boat scenes. We also had a large mobile ramp/rock to help with land and sea distinction. Artistically, I was going for less Disney and more whimsical.

Nicole Gerenyi
    Director
    Ft. Washington PA

• 12.  RE: The little mermaid

Posted 06-01-2016 19:09

Hi,

Our middle school just did the full version.  We have two acting levels: a stage and the floor in front of it. We set our seats up on three sides of the acting area. The stage was primarily land, and the floor was primarily the sea. Because we had two acting areas, Eric fell out of the boat and slowly started to drown as he made his way to the bottom (floor acting area) where Ariel saved him.

SFX are neat and all of that, but it's the story and the iconic songs that they are coming for. 

Costumes, however,  are crucial to the magic which you are striving for.

I've attached some photos of what we did; I hope they help.

Believe in your kids! We were blessed with fabulous singers across the board: Ariel, Ursula, Eric, Sebastian, Chef Louis, Flounder, Scuttle, Triton!

We gave Ariel legs right in front of the audience just before intermission. We used a shadow double Ariel behind fabric with a light behind it, and switched out Ariel with a double and switched her back in when she lost her fin. Then, dropped the fabric for the reveal. There is enough underscoring for any creative way to transform her.

We made a light weight dinghy for "Kiss the Girl." It was on wheels, which we concealed; Ariel and Eric foot pedaled it very slowly (like the Flintstones) and did a 360 during Sebastian's solo; the audience loved it.

We also used a large silicon sea shell, which lit up when Ariel's voice is transferred. 

We put Flounder, Ariel, Flotsam, and Jetsam on heelies for fun.

The magic is in the singing, costumes, and your creativity.

Best of luck in your voyage under the sea.

Thomas Cole
    Bay City MI

• 13.  RE: The little mermaid

Posted 09-23-2016 08:23

We did the Junior version with our middle school and it was an absolute hoot!! We did the King, Mersisters and Flounder and Sebastian on Heelies. The kids LOVED it!  The junior version is set heavy, (very short scenes in different locations) but that allowed us to include a lot more kids on crew than normal. Costumes are great fun and available from millions of resources. For middle school we chose to do leotard tank tops for the mermaids instead of bras and it helped the modesty issue. Kids loved the music and it was a hit with parents too.  

Maggie Ward
    Columbia MD