Open Forum

View Only

Play suggestions needed

• 1.  Play suggestions needed

Posted 05-31-2016 08:58

Like so many of you, I'm struggling with ideas for next year's shows. I'm looking for two full-length pieces (straight plays) that will accommodate about 30 actors total (doesn't matter if one show has a smaller cast than the other). I have seven men and about 20 women. This is a performing arts high school, so we tend to do newer, more unusual, or slightly edgier material. In the past we've done Metamorphoses, Triangle, Still Life with Iris, Anon(ymous), Anatomy of Gray, Decision Height, The Good Fight, and Almost, Maine if that gives you an idea of the types of shows we do. I'm not looking for a musical, Shakespeare, or one of the high school standbys like Our Town. I love shows that offer strong ensembles, flexible casting, minimal/suggested/imaginative set, and opportunities for movement/Viewpoints/storytelling, etc. What are your suggestions? Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 2.  RE: Play suggestions needed

Posted 05-31-2016 10:11

Have you looked at The Birds, adapted by Don Zolidis from Aristophanes?  Large cast, flexible casting (the chorus can be all female).  My students loved the script and your tech class might get some work on making masks. If you choose it, I can give suggestions on costumes and masks.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Play suggestions needed

Posted 05-31-2016 10:53

Thanks, I'll look into that. We could definitely do a well-written farce, commedia, physical comedy kind of piece if people have suggestions along that route as well.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 4.  RE: Play suggestions needed

Posted 05-31-2016 12:55

Can't get edgier or more farcical than Richard Bean, if you wanted to try 'One Man, Two Guv'nors' or his earlier 'England People Very Nice'. The first is a farcical update of Servant of Two Masters, re-set in a cockney 1960s London with plenty of anachronisms, the other is a through the centuries exploration of the successive waves of immigration to England over several generations. Both bitingly funny in that traditional self-loathing/self-loving way the English have about them. Have fun! Searching is always a bear. Currently I need to find three more one act plays to round out my season...full lengths seem easy to find, by comparison....

...The Crucible is always edgy, though, just saying...with 7 males you might just swing it....

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 5.  RE: Play suggestions needed

Posted 06-01-2016 07:00

I saw an amazing production of Sarah Ruhl's "Dead Man's Cell Phone" that used an ensemble of close about 15 students to create locations.  Most of the ensemble carried an umbrella as an ideogram, and when main characters were not in a scene, they grabbed an umbrella and joined the ensemble.  It was a beautiful piece, and tons of really great movement ideas.  

I am a huge fan of ensemble work and Viewpoints.  This year I am producing two one acts from "The Kentucky Cycles" as a full-length piece.  Our root one act is "Fire in the Hole" and we are pairing it with "Tall Tales."   While this originally might seem male-heavy, you can probably get away with several gender-neutral characters.  Our ensemble consists of miners and townswomen.

In the near future, I hope to explore the ensemble work in Neil Bartlett's "The Picture of Dorian Gray."  Interesting opportunities with actor synchronization.

This past year, we did Don Zolidis's "Monster" as a one act with a cast of 25.  The ensemble was integral and we did huge amounts of physical viewpoints work.  There is a full-length version of the show available, but it is very adult. To bill the one-act higher, we add a dinner theater to one performance, a talk back to another, and invite a second school to share a one act for the second act.  I could not recommend this show higher, and hope that you would explore it even though it is a one act.

I also really enjoyed seeing Mary Zimmerman's" Secret in the Wings."  While billed as a fairy tale show, it has some darker elements.  

I'd also love to know what shows you've used viewpoints for, as I am a huge fan.

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 6.  RE: Play suggestions needed

Posted 06-01-2016 07:35

Thanks so much for the suggestions! We're actually already looking at SECRET IN THE WINGS, as my guest director loves Mary Zimmerman. She did some Viewpoints work on METAMORPHOSES (which we did without a real pool and were still successful) and with Iizuka's ANON(YMOUS). I know she's interested in DEAD MAN'S CELL PHONE, so I'll share your pictures and ideas with her. I'll check out those other pieces as well. Your shows look awesome!

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 7.  RE: Play suggestions needed

Posted 06-01-2016 23:58
    You could try just about anything from the Reduced Shakespeare Company. Their plays are originally written as fast paced farces for three players, but allow flexible casting. We did The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged) with ten players.

Jym Kinney
    Troupe 821 Director

• 8.  RE: Play suggestions needed

Posted 09-15-2016 15:09

Still searching, sigh. We have a few comedies/satires in the mix, but both the other director and I are really waiting for something that just lights it up for us. She had a great experience directing Anatomy of Gray and would like to find something of a similar feel. For me, I'm looking for something that hits me as much as Almost, MaineStill Life with Iris, or Triangle did. We SO want to do These Shining Lives, but it just doesn't have a big enough cast. We'll probably re-consider Radium Girls, but does anyone have other suggestions? Thanks so much! We have 24 kids in the program (17 girls, 6 guys, 1 gender fluid) so we need two shows with decent-sized casts.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 9.  RE: Play suggestions needed

Posted 09-16-2016 09:55

Take a look at LETTERS TO SALA- beautiful story, meets your casting requirements (almost exactly!), lots of opportunity for movement work. I've worked on several titles on your list- this falls in line with most of them.

Tom Lupfer
    Pascack Valley HS
    Hillsdale, NJ
    www.pvhstheatre.org

• 10.  RE: Play suggestions needed

Posted 09-16-2016 09:59

Anne Bertram's "The Good Fight" about British Suffragettes who learn jiu-jitsu to defend themselves.

Arlene Hutton's "Letters to Sala" about a young girl's survival in Nazi Germany.

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 11.  RE: Play suggestions needed

Posted 09-16-2016 11:40

Ha ha, we were the Virginia premiere of The Good Fight two years ago, so I like the way you think. I saw a production of Letters to Sala that I didn't care for, but given how often it comes back up, maybe I should reconsider it.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 12.  RE: Play suggestions needed

Posted 09-16-2016 12:23

My kids did a re-write / re-working of Aristophanes' The Frogs a few years ago...  so fun!!!  

I agree also about RSC  we've done some of their works with as many as 20 kids all pitching in...  I[m doing one of the Tuna series this Winter...  

When I am stuck choosing shows I read more and I try to go see more shows!

Good Luck  

Break a leg!

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]

• 13.  RE: Play suggestions needed

Posted 09-17-2016 07:21
    Try The Arabian Nights (RSC version).

Sent from my iPad

• 14.  RE: Play suggestions needed

Posted 09-18-2016 12:10

Have you looked at any of Mary Zimmerman's other works? Take a look at her Argonautika, Odyssey, or Arabian Nights. We've done them all including Metamophoses and Secret in the Wings. All her stuff is ensemble driven and so wonderfully theatrical. We've also done her Journey to the West and and did her The White Snake this past spring and are in rehearsals for our state one act with a cutting from that. Casting flexibility is what she is known for. Would be happy to give you more info or check out our website for pics Home

Appleton North High School Theatre remove preview
    Home
    Award-winning, innovative, and diverse high school theatre.
    View this on Appleton North High School Theatre >

Ron Parker

Appleton North High School

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI

• 15.  RE: Play suggestions needed

Posted 09-23-2016 08:22

Grr, so frustrating! I went onto the Samuel French website the other day to look up some suggested plays, and they were promoting a new script that I realized instantly would be perfect for us. I rush ordered the script (out of my own pocket) and applied for the rights immediately. I got an e-mail yesterday saying the rights request was denied because they aren't licensing amateur productions yet, even though it isn't listed as restricted anywhere on the script's web page. Actually, under the "performance group" tag, it lists college and community theatre, so I never thought it would be restricted. So, we're super disappointed, AND I wasted my money on a script that there was no chance of producing. The moral of this story: double check if one of the publishers is promoting a new piece, because it might not actually be available. :-(

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 16.  RE: Play suggestions needed

Posted 09-23-2016 08:30

And another example of how Samuel French isn't always user-friendly. 

But one thing I do like about SM: when we did Grease (never again!!) the music was all peronalized for us, with our name, last performance date, and customer number on every page. We could write on the music with pencil, pen, highlighter, etc. and when we closed the material was sent to a recycling company. Finally, a company moving into the 21st century!

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 17.  RE: Play suggestions needed

Posted 09-23-2016 10:50

John, did you mean Samuel French when you said 'SM'? Super excited to hear about the recycling/personalized copies you got! Erasing pencil markings is a super annoying nuisance!

Couple other suggestions, based on some recent readings:

Any Shakespeare :)

Any Moliere :)

David Ives' adaptation of a Mark Twain play called 'Is He Dead?' was a sharp satire/comedy.

If the election wasn't already such a parody of the political process, Don Zolidis' 'The Election' is pretty sharp and good fun, again, pointed in its rebuke of the money in politics.

Brain has shut down in regards to more weighty works, right now...maybe I'll float back to this discussion after some more reflection.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor
    Ruskin FL

• 18.  RE: Play suggestions needed

Posted 09-23-2016 14:03

Sorry, yes, SM=Samuel French

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY