Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Summertime Graduate Credits in Theatre?

Posted 05-30-2016 10:16

Hey folks,

I've seen a few posts on here for those seeking summertime MA programs in Theatre. But I'm looking for summer workshops that offer graduate Theatre credit as a non-degree seeker. Any suggestions for either weekend workshops, online courses, or short-term summer courses that offer graduate theatre credit?

Last summer i did the Broadway Teachers Workshop, which was great, and I plan to do it again sometime. But I'm looking for something else this summer. I'd welcome any suggestions, particularly in the NYC area. Thank you!

Scott

------------------------------
    Scott Harris
    Theatre Director
    Mamaroneck NY

• 2.  RE: Summertime Graduate Credits in Theatre?

Posted 05-31-2016 09:13

It's no where near NYC, but Brigham Young University in Utah does two 4-day intensives in August with graduate university credit.  This year one intensive is on Acting for Educators and the other is on Curriculum Development with SLO's and National Standards alignment.  If you're interested in getting more information contact me at shawnda_moss@byu.edu for more information.

Shawnda Moss
    Associate Lecturer
    BYU Theatre & Media Arts
    Springville UT

• 3.  RE: Summertime Graduate Credits in Theatre?

Posted 05-31-2016 10:42

I have information about THEATRE TEACHERS BOOTCAMP, a July weekend intensive which offers units. If you are thinking of California travel, message me. 

Gai Jones
    gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    gai@gaijones.com

www.gaijones.com
    Co-Founder/Faculty Member Summer Theatre Teacher Bootcamp
    Inspirational Speaker for PD, Student Leaderships, Conferences
    RAISING THE CURTAIN www.perfectionlearning.com
    BREAK A LEG, A LOVE LETTER TO THEATRE EDUCATORS AND STUDENTS www.gaijones.com
    THE STUDENT ACTOR PREPARES: ACTING FOR LIFE www.intellectbooks.com e-Book on Amazon
    CURTAIN GOIN' UP...TRUISMS AND TIPS FOR COMMUNITY THEATER ACTORS, DIRECTORS, TECHNICIANS AND OTHER VOLUNTEERS www.gaijones.com https://www.facebook.com/GaiJonesTheatreEducator

• 4.  RE: Summertime Graduate Credits in Theatre?

Posted 05-31-2016 12:08

Hi Scott:

You may wish to check out the Tennessee Arts Academy. Nowhere near New York, but probably very close to what you are seeking. The Academy is held on the campus of Belmont University from July 10 -15 in Nashville. Core classes in the theatre this year, taught by a nationally assembled faculty, include a Commedia class, Viewpoints class and a playwrighting class. There are numerous choice sessions throughout the week and many speakers and performances. Andrew Lippa is one of the speakers and Stephanie Block (Wicked and 9 to 5) will perform. The fee for the week is $495 and that includes almost all your meals. Dormitory space is available for a nominal fee or there are many great area hotels. The Academy offers both under-graduate and graduate credit through Belmont University. Check out the website at: http://www.tennesseeartsacademy.org/. You can apply online at: http://taa.hanwi.com/. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

E. Frank Bluestein
    Managing Director
    Tennessee Arts Academy

• 5.  RE: Summertime Graduate Credits in Theatre?

Posted 06-03-2016 10:05

Hi Scott,

At Catholic University, we offer online graduate summer courses and it is possible to take up to 9 credits as a non-degree candidate, but you need to submit an application in the March/April time frame for summer study. During the academic year, we also offer online courses via video conferencing--so the students and I interact in real time . Here is a blog post I wrote that will tell you more about all of this:

http://dramaticapproachestoteaching.com/post/133594495481/graduate-drama-in-education-course-completely

Dramaticapproachestoteaching remove preview

View this on Dramaticapproachestoteaching >

On a similar note, the university just approved a new Graduate Certificate in Creative Teaching through Drama. This will be a 5-course program that will be available completely online for students who do not live in the Washington, DC area. Those who do can choose to take courses on campus in addition to online courses. The certificate program is not yet ready for applications, but it will be soon!

Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    The Catholic University of America
    Washington, DC

• 6.  RE: Summertime Graduate Credits in Theatre?

Posted 06-03-2016 18:03

Rosalind,

I would be interested in hearing more about the Graduate Certificate in Creative Teaching through Drama at Catholic University when it becomes available.

Though I've directed our school plays and musicals for many years and taught an introductory theater class, it appears the course offerings and my teaching of them may expand in 2017-18 when we transition to block scheduling.

I have a B. A. in Secondary English Ed. and an M. Ed. degree, meeting the requirements to teach drama in Kentucky. However, continued learning, especially with the potential for assisting me in teaching new courses/skills, is obviously beneficial for practical and professional development reasons. Additionally, online courses would be advantageous. 

If one successfully completes the five courses for the graduate certificate, is it possible to transfer those credits into a Master's degree program if desired?

Cary Rice
    English Faculty and Drama Director
    Christian Academy of Louisville
    Louisville, KY