Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Crush by Stephen Gregg

Posted 05-27-2016 09:04

I just finished reading Crush by Stephen Gregg

I'm interested in the script, possibly for next fall.

Dramatic Publishing sells a manuscript version. Does that mean I can license the play through them? If we want to do the show, can we copy the manuscript legally, or do I have to but manuscripts for each actor?

Fun acting challenges, and some serious tech effects are suggested. Hope we can do it!

Please advise.

------------------------------
    Nathan Rosen
    Baltimore MD

• 2.  RE: Crush by Stephen Gregg

Posted 05-28-2016 11:27

If they offer the play, even in manuscript, you can almost always license productions from them.

The rest of your question depends on the particular play and publisher.  Sometimes you are required to buy enough single copies of the manuscript to outfit the play's cast requirements.  In other cases, you buy one copy and then buy reprint rights to make the other copies you need.  It's always best to check with the publisher in question, to keep yourself on the right side of the law.  I have found Dramatic Publishing to be very helpful to school groups, so if you contact them directly, they'll probably be very happy to clarify the situation with this particular play.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 3.  RE: Crush by Stephen Gregg

Posted 05-28-2016 12:36
    Nathan,

That a manuscript version exists means it's absolutely licensable.  You'd have to pay for the one manuscript and then make copies of it yourself. 

As for tech, the play borrows the Our Town conceit of props being mimed, so to some extent you can extend that to what would seem like the more tech-heavy scenes. I've seen a minimal black box version of it performed.

Thanks for the query, Nathan. Thanks, David Hastings, for pointing me to this thread.

And I'll go ahead and ask Ginny (the Community monitor) this question in public:

Is it tacky/offbounds/borderline illegal for me to be answering questions about Crush in an EdTA forum? I'll want to stay way to correct side of whatever the line is.

Steve

--

• 4.  RE: Crush by Stephen Gregg

Posted 05-31-2016 09:51

Hi Stephen! It's perfectly okay to answer questions about your own work when posed by other Community members-who could possibly have a better answer? 

In our Code of Conduct, we do discourage advertising in the Community (self-promoting your work or services for publicity, recognition, or financial gain), but this thread doesn't fit that description. Thanks for checking!

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 5.  RE: Crush by Stephen Gregg

Posted 06-06-2020 12:59
    I just directed it for our spring production - we did over Zoom! It was a great experience and the play is very well written. Highly recommend!

Jason Katz
    Wilsonville OR

• 6.  RE: Crush by Stephen Gregg

Posted 07-28-2020 00:52
    @JasonKatz

Hi Jason,

I’d love to see your Zoom show of Crush and then pick your brain about what worked & what didn’t.

Thanks,

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    StadtFamily@juno.com

Sent from my iPhone

Baseball Outbreak Is 'Off-the-Charts Bad'
    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f1faed35cde62ed252aast03vuc1
    Death of High-Stakes Female Poker Player Is a Mystery
    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f1faed3782b12ed252aast03vuc2
    Baseball's Push to Reopen Hits First Major Problem
    http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5f1faed3960d12ed252aast03vuc3