Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sweeney Todd

Posted 05-26-2016 13:05

Hi all. We are planning on Sweeney Todd for one of our musicals next school year. Can anyone give me any insights on the meaningful differences between the School Edition and the regular version of the show? I know that the Judge's song "Johanna" is cut, but beyond that...any insights or suggestions as we decide which version to produce?

Thanks much!

------------------------------
    Joe King
    Theatre Director
    School District of Shorewood
    Shorewood WI

• 2.  RE: Sweeney Todd

Posted 05-27-2016 09:45

We did the show several years ago, and actually toured it to Festival.  The differences I remember are that some of the keys were changed to make it easier for young singers.  Joanna was cut, and some of the songs and interludes were trimmed to shorten and tighten up the piece.  Some of the swear words were given alternative words and phrases.  It's not a lot of noticeable differences but it's definitely shorter by about 15 minutes if I remember correctly.

Good luck with your production!

John

John Morris
    Instructor/Technical Director
    Las Vegas Academy of the Arts
    Clark County School District
    Las Vegas NV

• 3.  RE: Sweeney Todd

Posted 05-27-2016 10:00

Hi, Joe.

We just did Sweeney Todd in March. We did the regular version but cut the Judge's scene ourselves, which is allowed in the script. I'd be happy to talk to you more about it at length.  If you want to email me, we can arrange a time to talk further and I can send you some pictures.  kmalone@commack.k12.ny.us

Karen

Karen Malone
    Teacher
    Commack NY

• 4.  RE: Sweeney Todd

Posted 05-27-2016 13:02
    I found the big difference in the all the school editions is length. Verses are cut and reprises are cut and sometimes songs are eliminated. We did the school edition of Sweeney last year and were extremely successful with it. So much that we did the school edition of Les Mis this year. I do remember finding a listing on line of all the cuts from Sweeney. It was informative.

DJ Queenan
    Director of Fine and Performing Arts
    Drama Teacher
    Savannah Country Day School
    Service through Knowledge and Character
    Follow SCDS on FacebookInstagram & Twitter