Open Forum

View Only

Black box theatre

• 1.  Black box theatre

Posted 05-25-2016 02:03

I am looking for some play ideas to perform in a small black box theater with about 15 students (more females than males).  I have read many of the recent posts, but the tech seems so huge to try to do in my space.  Any ideas?  Thank you for your help, in advance.

------------------------------
    Meridith Stempinski
    Corona CA

• 2.  RE: Black box theatre

Posted 05-25-2016 20:41

Are you looking for one-acts or full-length.

Two great one-acts - Cave Dream and Shuddersome:  Tales of Poe.  I had great success with both at competition.  Also, Fortress.  And one more, And.  All are very gender flexible.  

Full-length - Twelve Angry Men comes to mind, as does Inherit the Wind.  Also, any Shakespeare play would work well, they were designed for small theatres.  If you want to go comedy--The Complete Works of William Shakespeare Abridged.  Although designed for three, can be expanded exponentially.  

Just a few off the top of my head.

Jennifer Miguel
    Franklin VA

• 3.  RE: Black box theatre

Posted 05-26-2016 09:28

Snow Angel by David Lindsay-Abaire is one of my favorites and would be perfect in that space

https://www.playscripts.com/play/245

8f, 8m (but several would work as gender neutral if you get permission)

flexible abstract set

Barb Lachman
    Drama Director (former)
    Shoreline WA

• 4.  RE: Black box theatre

Posted 05-26-2016 10:10
    My students recently produced "Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind" in a black box setting.  The show is a lot of fun with a unique, improvisational style.  Our cast was 12, but this could go up or down by 5 or 6.

Our auditorium seats 900 and we have no other theater space.  To make this intimate piece work, we closed the curtain and seated the 100 audience members on stage with us.  Our playing space was about 20' x 15', but that was plenty. 

Another show that would work well in a black box is the one-act version of "Women and War"; strong roles for men and women.  I'm considering Twelve Angry Men for a black box production next year.

Break a leg!

Makala Vest Witten
    Christiansburg High School
    540/382-5178
    Teacher
    English 12
    Theatre II
    Sponsor, Thespian Troupe 3070

• 5.  RE: Black box theatre

Posted 05-26-2016 11:09

We did The Diary of Anne Frank (Kesselman version) in our black box and it was very memorable.  The black box makes it feel intimate, even claustrophobic--which is what we were going for in that production.  The Kesselman version is not as romanticized as the Goodrich script.  Technically, it was easy to stage with varying levels.  Actors were onstage the entire time except for intermission--but did well with the various costume changes.  

Robin Christopher
    Geneva OH

• 6.  RE: Black box theatre

Posted 05-26-2016 12:14

Our Town, I Never Saw Another Butterfly, Seusification of Romeo and Juliet, Emma, Play On, Book of Days, All I Really Need To Know I Learned in Kindergarten, Midsummer, MacBeth.  

These all worked well for us on a 17X20/30' (oddly shaped) black box stage with minimal set.  

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 7.  RE: Black box theatre

Posted 05-27-2016 10:03

Look at Mutually Assured Destruction by Don Zolidis.  We produced that this year in our Black Box with great success.  Simple tech.  Simple set...fun, but simple.  A variety of characters! 

Carolyn Cork Greer
    Owensboro KY

• 8.  RE: Black box theatre

Posted 05-27-2016 10:45

Check out Radium Girls

http://www.dramaticpublishing.com/p1235/Radium-Girls/product_info.html

http://www.dwgregory.com/plays/dramas/radium-girls.php

[William] [Myatt] [Drama Director]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 9.  RE: Black box theatre

Posted 05-27-2016 10:23

In my experience, there is very little you can not do in a black box, (notable exception: musical spectaculars...but then again, Little Shop, Putnam Spelling Bee, Avenue Q, Into the Woods, and others with unit sets work fine. And no mics needed). We have put on numerous Shakespeare plays, comedies such as Noises Off (the set broke apart and re-arranged, instead of rotate during intermission), and many other shows.

The space is not the limitation. Imagination is. Any play written for a proscenium is adaptable to a black box, you just have to be careful blocking the thing.

My two cents.

JIm Gunn
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Madera High School
    Madera CA

• 10.  RE: Black box theatre

Posted 05-27-2016 11:56

Jim's comment on imagination being the limiting factor is right on the nose.

I love to design ginormous sets, even in black boxes, with projections and all the latest techno-gizmos that Broadway and opera audiences seem to expect nowadays. However, as an audience member, I'd much rather see a show focus on the story and the characters than have a bunch of stuff sitting there competing with them. Something as simple as black curtains all the way around, and the correct lighting, can do wonders to focus the audience on the story. It's almost like the movie and TV technique of closing in on the actors, or even on one face at a time, when they say something important.

It can be theatre at its best.  :-)

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 11.  RE: Black box theatre

Posted 05-28-2016 06:41

Our high school theatre is essentially a black box. Non-musicals that we've done: Arsenic and Old Lace, You Can't Take It With You, Diary of Anne Frank, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and Kelly Feustel's Peter (the best non-musical Peter Pan origin story). Musicals that we've done: Fiddler on the Roof, Little Shop of Horrors, Scrooge the Musical, one of the first to do Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera, My Fair Lady, Singin' In The Rain (with rain), Shrek, The Addams Family, and Mary Poppins.

Full scale Broadway type musicals (with big choreography) can be done in black box. Don't be put off by nay-sayers. 

A small cast, mainly female? Normal for most of us. The non-musicals I cited above worked very well for those parameters.

Break a leg!

Thomas Cole
    Bay City MI

• 12.  RE: Black box theatre

Posted 05-28-2016 11:46

I agree with almost all of the posts. There are some great play suggestions, but really you can do anything in a Black Box Theatre. We use ours for almost all of our plays. This year, we did A Year with Frog and Toad, Antigone, Comedy of Errors, The Haunting of Hannibal House, Twelve Angry Jurors, and Arsenic and Old Lace in our Black Box. Some were traditional sets, others were bare stage, and some were built to travel and required almost no set up.

We have done plays in the round, thrust, or basically proscenium style set up in the space. There really are no limits. 

Some of my favorite shows for our Black Box Theatre were A Midsummer Night's Dream, Almost Maine, S.P.A.R., Twelfth Night, Our Town, The Foreigner, and The Fantasticks. We also have done a lot of student written work in this space. It just gives you total freedom to do whatever you want.

You should check out Stephen Gregg's new play, Crush. It is in Dramatics Magazine this month. We performed it in a proscenium theatre, but I think it would play really well in a Black Box Theatre. It has a cast of 17 actors plus an ensemble of 5 that could be expanded or played by some of the 17 named roles. It has 12 female and 5 male roles. The show can easily be done with almost no set. 

David Tate Hastings
    Kansas Thespians
    Co-Chapter Director
    dhastingsos@olatheschools.org
    913-481-1868