Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  How to clean?

Posted 05-24-2016 13:23

Anyone have any good tips on how in the world to clean a stipple sponge? I'm teaching wound makeup and don't want a bunch of gucky sponges when we are through.

------------------------------
    Zach Schneider Troupe No. 1
    Wyoming Thespians
    Chapter Director
    Natrona County High School
    Casper WY

• 2.  RE: How to clean?

Posted 05-25-2016 07:42

I'm assuming you mean the black stipple sponges that look like open holed air conditioning filters?  If you have a good makeup brush cleaner, that should do the trick. Soak 'em and squeeze until it's clean  -- much like cleaning makeup brushes.  Those suckers aren't cheap, so cleaning them rather than tossing them is a good idea.  I've found that using sections of a cheap loofah does the same thing if you ever find that you need something quick and cheap.

Keith Rollins
    Drama Teacher
    Dalton Public Schools - Dalton Middle School
    Dalton GA

• 3.  RE: How to clean?

Posted 05-25-2016 08:17
    Stick them in a lingerie bag and throw them in the washing machine, cold. Never reuse these things unless they are washed! Let no students share!  Think eye infections and other nasty bugs. 

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

• 4.  RE: How to clean?

Posted 05-25-2016 10:08

I would try makeup brush cleaner.  The solvent is fairly mild, yet effective.  The brand we use is Cinema Secrets.

Joanne Buyniski
    Whitinsville MA

• 5.  RE: How to clean?

Posted 05-25-2016 10:59

What about ordinary liquid dish soap in hot water?  Let them soak and swish and squish it around a lot.  If it can clean oil off of ducks, it should be able to get stage makeup out of stipple sponges.

Just a thought.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 6.  RE: How to clean?

Posted 05-25-2016 11:02
    I use Dawn dish washing soap and water. Put some soap on the stipple sponge, add water, and have the students squish and squeeze until clean. It may take a rinse and second squirt of Dawn if it is really dirty.

--
    Ann Hileman, M.A.
    State Chapter Director, Indiana Thespians
    Indiana Thespian Hall of Fame

Maconaquah High School
    256 East 800 South
    Bunker Hill, IN 46914
    765-689-9131 x 5550 (phone)
    765-689-9528 (fax)

• 7.  RE: How to clean?

Posted 05-26-2016 15:58

I suggest warm water with baby shampoo, squeeze a lot and rinse a lot under warm to hot h2o. Let them air dry on a paper towel. If they are really gunky, you can try Dawn liquid dish soap or Cinema Secrets brush cleaner from Sephora.

Juliette Beck
    Head of Theatre, Teacher, Troupe Director
    Albuquerque NM

• 8.  RE: How to clean?

Posted 05-27-2016 09:35
    1 cup hot water, 2 T vinegar, 1 T Dawn.  Soak awhile, rinse.  I also use a make-up cleanser that Walmart sells for makeup brushes.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone