Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Summer Study for Teachers which leads to M.A. or M.A.T.

Posted 05-20-2016 19:03

I collected information about summer M.A.s for Theatre educators in CA. Hopefully the document below might be helpful. I recommend all of the programs for various reasons. 

Colleges and Universities which offer M.A.’s or M.A.T. in summer study  

If you discover incorrect or receive updated information about any college/university with summer study, please contact gai.jones@sbcglobal.net.

University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, CA Contact Dr. Mary Schuttler

Mary.schuttler@unco.edu 2 years in Theatre Ed-2 three week summer institutes and five academic semesters, combination of online classes, hands on work and theatrical experiences; instate tuition for all students; http://www.arts.unco.edu/tei/index.html

Catholic University, Washington, DC

Dr. Rosalind M. Flynn RMCFlynn@aol.com, FLYNN@cua.edu

http://www.drama.cua.edu/graduate/mate.cfm; Masters of Arts in Theatre Education in 3 summers

University of Akron Modular Masters Program

3 intensive 5 week sessions over three summers

www.uakron.edu/dtaa; Jim Slowiak at Slowiak@uakron.edu or Mary Cooke at mcooke@uakron.edu

Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida; Lynn Hogan lhogan@admin.fsu.edu

3 summers, five week session with class in each of the academic years between summers (two classes) Master of Science for Theatre Educators

http://www.theatre.fsu.edu/pages/programs/graduate/ms/

Southern Oregon University

Masters of Theatre studies in Production and Design;

Developed for high school and community college teachers

2 week summer intensive with distance learning assignments throughout the year which incorporate the student’s production program. Eric Levin at levine@sou.edu 541 552 6364

Central Washington University

Ellensburg, WA, contact Scott Robinson, Director of Summer Institutes scott.robinson@cwu.edu. MA in Theatre production; five weeks June 23-Jul 28; 3 summers, minimum, ma be extended to a max. of 6 weeks; thesis is production in teacher’s school with written documentation; must have 3 ears in the classroom; www.cwu.edu/~theatre/program/graduate/institute

Roosevelt University (no information supplied-know that it is 3 summers, 6 weeks in Chicago) ccpa.roosevelt.edu

University of Texas Pan American

Edinburg Tx; monta@utpa.edu; Dr. Eric Wiley wileye@utpa.edu; 36 hours of study, can be completed in summers only                                                        more on page 2

University of Houston, coursework in the summer M.A. program is developed knowing that you want to further develop your theatre programs and classes. Their faculty is eager for the opportunity to teach working theatre educators. (3) month long summer sessions. Sixteen theatre educators accepted each spring to begin their 3 year plan. Offers off-site study, Chicago, London, New York City. Jackie deMontmollin jdemontmollin@uh.edu.

Dear Theatre Friend We are accepting and reviewing applications now for entry into this  exciting three summer Master's Degree Program.  Sixteen Theatre  teachers per Summer study together in Houston and in a different  theatre city every Summer.  Earning 12 credits per summer session,  candidates are awarded their Master of Art's degree in theatre at the  end of the summer!!!  The course work is one intensive month per  summer for three summers and begins the last day of June and ends the  last day of July.   The application deadline is February 1 each year (or until the program fills), but we will accept and notify stellar applicants prior to the deadline; therefore it is to the candidates advantage to apply early. This is an exciting year to begin because we will be traveling to  London to study!  In the Summer of 2008 we studied in New York with  SITI Company, in Summer 2009 we studied in Chicago with The Acting  Studio.  These trips are the finale of a three week intensive on our  campus in the exciting city of Houston! Please see our website for more information about the program: http://www.theatredance.uh.edu/ma/educators.asp Don't hesitate to e-mail me with any questions at jdemontmollin.uh.edu Please pass this on to any secondary Theatre Teachers you know who may  be interested, or who may know someone who would be interested in  earning their Master's Degree over three summers! Best Regards, Jackie deMontmollinAssociate Director of Theatre Education

University of Houston School of Theatre & Dance

Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS; Sally Bailey sdbailey@ksu.edu;

MA in theatre or MA in Theatre with a concentration in drama therapy.

Intensive weeklong grad courses in drama therapy in summer

NYU Steinhardt School; Christina Marin, Christina.marin@nyu.edu;  4 summer sessions of approximately 3 weeks each; also weekend intensives offered; no thesis required; emphasis is educational theatre across three concentrations: Applied Theatre; Drama Education; Play Production for Artists and Educators. www.steinhardt.nyu/music/edtheatre

Or contact Dr. Nan Smithner ms23@nyu.edu; Program in Educational Theatre, Dept of Music and Performing Arts Professions;  they have 4 master’s degrees; but completed in the summer is EDTC, a 36 point masters. The focus is Ed Th in colleges/communities; graduates find careers as teaching artists, teaching in co. colleges/university, and ed offices of theatre co. Also has Study Abroad component with courses in London, Dublin, Brazil.

Not summer programs, but worth considering

The City University of New York’s School of Professional studies

M.A. in applied Theatre; sequential, ensemble-based program for students interested in the use of theatre to address social and educational issues in a wide range of settings; stress the unit of theory and practiced and is linked to the professional applied theatre work of renowned Creative Arts Team. Contact: Matt Freeman, Kaplan Center Manager; matt.freeman@mail.cuny.edu; http://www.sps.cuny.edu/programs/maat

------------------------------
    Gai Jones
    gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    gai@gaijones.com

www.gaijones.com
    Co-Founder/Faculty Member Summer Theatre Teacher Bootcamp
    Inspirational Speaker for PD, Student Leaderships, Conferences
    RAISING THE CURTAIN www.perfectionlearning.com
    BREAK A LEG, A LOVE LETTER TO THEATRE EDUCATORS AND STUDENTS www.gaijones.com
    THE STUDENT ACTOR PREPARES: ACTING FOR LIFE www.intellectbooks.com e-Book on Amazon
    CURTAIN GOIN' UP...TRUISMS AND TIPS FOR COMMUNITY THEATER ACTORS, DIRECTORS, TECHNICIANS AND OTHER VOLUNTEERS www.gaijones.com https://www.facebook.com/GaiJonesTheatreEducator

• 2.  RE: Summer Study for Teachers which leads to M.A. or M.A.T.

Posted 05-21-2016 06:28

What a great list of programs!

Do you have a theatre related PHD program list laying about? :)

Greg Alldredge
    Head Director
    Cypress Springs High School
    Cypress TX

• 3.  RE: Summer Study for Teachers which leads to M.A. or M.A.T.

Posted 05-21-2016 11:06

I would love a list of institutions that grant a Ph.D. In Theatre Education as well. Ideally one with Summer study abroad and online courses. Anyone know of such progressive universities that offer such programs?

Or even better a program that would give credit to Theatre educators for career years in the classroom for creating curriculum, working with students, etc. etc. etc. Wouldn't that be great? 

Any of EdTA's Higher Ed members give any direction on this matter?

Gai Jones
    gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    gai@gaijones.com

www.gaijones.com
    Co-Founder/Faculty Member Summer Theatre Teacher Bootcamp
    Inspirational Speaker for PD, Student Leaderships, Conferences
    RAISING THE CURTAIN www.perfectionlearning.com
    BREAK A LEG, A LOVE LETTER TO THEATRE EDUCATORS AND STUDENTS www.gaijones.com
    THE STUDENT ACTOR PREPARES: ACTING FOR LIFE www.intellectbooks.com e-Book on Amazon
    CURTAIN GOIN' UP...TRUISMS AND TIPS FOR COMMUNITY THEATER ACTORS, DIRECTORS, TECHNICIANS AND OTHER VOLUNTEERS www.gaijones.com https://www.facebook.com/GaiJonesTheatreEducator

• 4.  RE: Summer Study for Teachers which leads to M.A. or M.A.T.

Posted 05-22-2016 11:28

Hi Greg, Hi Gai! Fancy seeing you here! I have spoken to Jackie deMontmollin at UH about this and she hinted that UH is looking into a future possibility of offering a summer PhD program for Theatre Educators (similar to the Summer MA Program). They'd be the first and only school to offer this so far as I can tell. I've done some research and while schools exist with PhD programs almost all of them would pull you from full time teaching, cost a lot of money and offer nothing in the way of credits for experience. I did want to point out to Gai that you have stated 3 months for UH whereas it is 3 months total over the course of 3 summers. It is worded in a way that might suggest you're doing 3 months every summer. I can say that I applied to all of the programs available:

UH, SOU, Colorado, FSU, NYU, and UNCG when I applied. FSU and UNCG were not running programs when I applied and sent me a letter stating that, NYU was way too costly, and among UH, SOU, and Colorado I chose UH. Here are the reasons:

- They reduced my out-of-state costs to less than in-state costs. (Major financial incentives)

- The program is more comprehensive in the sense that it covers Teaching Acting, Historical Acting Styles, Voice, Lighting Design, Set Design, Technical Direction, Costume Design, Program Management, Directing, Dramaturgy, Theatre History, etc. I've thoroughly enjoyed the wide breadth of study and the reflective nature of our portfolios (completed during the school year).

- Study Abroad is included: we travel to NYC, Chicago, and London for our final week of study each year and have the opportunity to take workshops with Lincoln Center (Tom Lee, Pig Iron Theatre, Emmanuel Depelche), Steppenwolf, Actor's Studio, RADA, RSC, etc. We also see shows. The year we went to NYC I saw Buyer & Cellar, Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill, IF/THEN, and When We Were Young and Unafraid through the program and had time to go see Hedwig and the Angry Inch and Cabaret on my own time. Last year in Chicago we saw some great original work and Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind which has greatly informed my work this school year.

Hope this helps.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Chapter Director - VA EdTA/ Virginia Thespians
    Theatre Director- Fine & Performing Arts Department NKHS
    Artistic Director - NKHS Trojan Theatre
    Artistic Director - Kent England Exchange Production
    Virginia Commonwealth University BFA Theatre Education, BFA Art Education '08
    University of Houston - MA in Theatre Candidate '16

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art." - Konstantin Stanislavski

• 5.  RE: Summer Study for Teachers which leads to M.A. or M.A.T.

Posted 05-24-2016 19:08

We are currently investigating a PhD, or possibly a DA, in Theatre Education at the University of Northern Colorado. We were hoping to begin a program sooner than later, but ran into some snags that we hope to iron out soon. Thanks for the MA list Gai!

Mary Schuttler
    Head of Theatre Education
    University of Northern Colorado
    Greeley CO

• 6.  RE: Summer Study for Teachers which leads to M.A. or M.A.T.

Posted 05-28-2016 17:02

Good news regarding tuition for our MATE (Master of Arts in Theatre Education) degree program at Catholic University in Washington, DC--The university approved us for the Professional Tuition Credit rate which is 40% less than the regular graduate tuition rate and a huge savings. See more info here: http://dramaticapproachestoteaching.com/post/139121758706/tuition-rates-reduced-for-masters-in-theatre

Another plus for us: We are offering online courses during the academic year as well as in the summers via online video sessions, so we actually meet and talk and present to one another. No PhD program yet...but maybe I'll start to work on that!

Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    The Catholic University of America
    Washington, DC

• 7.  RE: Summer Study for Teachers which leads to M.A. or M.A.T.

Posted 06-02-2016 09:03

Please keep us all updated on PhD or DA program progress, especially the summer options! I would love to continue my education, but don't want to have to leave my job to do it!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL