Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Children's Show Question

Posted 05-20-2016 08:33

Hello everyone! 

First off, thank you to everyone who has worked to create, post, and support the Community.  As a first year theatre teacher, this resource has been so incredibly valuable.  Coming to the end of my first year, I am looking ahead to next year and scheduling our season.  We are adding in a one-act children's show that we will also hopefully be touring to a few of our elementary schools.  As I am looking at shows, I need some advice:

1. Has anyone done any really good shows that they would recommend?  I'm particularly looking for shows that are light on set/tech requirements. 

2. As you are picking children's shows, do you try to stick with name recognition?  I have found a few shows that I really enjoy, but aren't based off of any movies, books, etc. and therefore won't have the name recognition. 

Any help or advice would be much appreciated! 

------------------------------
    Corey Ragan
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Groveport Madison High School
    Groveport, OH

• 2.  RE: Children's Show Question

Posted 05-20-2016 09:33

Hi, Corey!

We have done a variety of shows for kids over the years.  Some of my favorites have been.

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

The Emperor's New Clothes

Gary Grinkle's Battles with Wrinkles...

Noonie's Masterpiece in Purple

James and the Giant Peach

The Princess and the Pea

Have fun!!

Carolyn

Carolyn Cork Greer
    Owensboro KY

• 3.  RE: Children's Show Question

Posted 05-24-2016 19:44
    Playscripts has a number of fine children's show offerings. We mounted THE BRAVE LITTLE TAILOR, by Randy Wyatt, using objects that we have on hand (the story takes place in an attic that "transforms" itself into magical places). Our audiences adored it. 

Nancy Bernhard
    Salinas High School

• 4.  RE: Children's Show Question

Posted 05-25-2016 12:23

LOL, Nancy--thanks for the plug for YouthPLAYS, even if you called us Playscripts by accident.(And we do indeed have a number of fine children's offerings.) Brave Little Tailor, the show in question, may be found here:
    http://youthplays.com/play_details.php?play_id=129

Happy hunting!

Best,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 5.  RE: Children's Show Question

Posted 05-25-2016 10:39

We just did a production of Charlotte's Web - and had a huge crowd because of the name recognition. (And instead of taking the show to the elementary schools, we performed it on our home stage -but didn't charge an admission fee - rather, asked for donations.)

We used to take a children's show to elementary assemblies, but the logistics for transportation, liability, licensing x 7 schools, plus calendars for standardized testing made it impossible to continue in that format.  So we just open our doors at the HS for the whole community to come to our space instead.

I created a children's handout - with each individual character in costume with their photo and autograph - and made color copies.  And a traditional program with the ads from our sponsors for the adults.  The director ordered small plastic spider rings for cast members to hand out to children afterwards as they greeted the public and asked for donations on their way out. ;-)  We made 400 for kids, and 200 for adults, and ran out 10 minutes before the show even started.   It was a good problem to have!

Melissa Mintzer
    Willow Street PA

• 6.  RE: Children's Show Question

Posted 05-27-2016 07:58

One of my favorite children's shows is Still Life With Iris by Steven Dietz. It's a really charming story, and there are a couple different cuts available on Dramatic Publishing. There are some technical elements, mostly in costuming. You also have to be able to show two distinct fantasy locations, but we accomplished it with some periactoi, platforms and a couple of projections. It's a really awesome show and totally worth a read.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 7.  RE: Children's Show Question

Posted 05-28-2016 08:50

We just did Still Life with Iris for our spring play.  I highly recommend it for high school.  It is a gem.  A couple years ago we did The Glass Slipper (Pioneer) and used commedia del Arte as our inspiration for performance.  Stage was raked with four doors up stage that pivoted and simple props. We added some choreography and physicality, beautiful crazy costuming and it was very successful.   

Marcie Berglund
    Play Coach (Musical and One Act)
    Cottage Grove MN

• 8.  RE: Children's Show Question

Posted 05-28-2016 10:21

Our 7th grade troupe has traveled to local elementary schools for the past four years in the late Spring. It's a great way to promote your troupe and to get the kids excited about one day being a part of your class. Traveling isn't easy, but very rewarding for your students and all the elementary kids. Choosing a script that requires a minimal set is crucial to your sanity:). Here's a list of shows we've traveled with or that I think would work to take on the road...

Waking Sleeping Beauty...Playscripts

The Substitute Fairy Godmother...Playscripts

The Brave Little Tailor...Youth Plays

The Ever After...Pioneer Drama

Totally Red!....Dramatic Publishing

I also agree that Charlotte's Web from Dramatic Publishing could work if you could create a manageable set.

Best wishes in finding a play that works for you:)

Danny Hobson
    7th Grade Theatre Arts
    Hellstern Middle School
    Springdale, Arkansas
    dhobson@sdale.org

• 9.  RE: Children's Show Question

Posted 05-31-2016 08:42

I have had great success with:

Clown's Play ( Jack and the Beanstalk as performed by a troupe of clowns)

The Great Cross Country Race (tortoise and hare)

Many Moons ( a Thurber classic)

The 13 Bells of Boggelwood

Story Theater

Androcles and the Lion

The Beeple

For  musicals:

A Year With Frog and Toad

James and the Giant Peach

Rapunzel Rapunzel a Very  Hairy Fairy Tale (new from Rogers & Hammerstein pub.)

Jill Campbell
    Pine Grove Mills PA