Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Southern Oregon Summer Program

Posted 05-18-2016 16:57
    Has anyone done the Masters in Theatre Studies for Theatre Educators program at Southern Oregon University? Two weeks in the Summer for three years with some online course work during the school year? Can anyone give me some feedback on the program? I have a Master's in Secondary Education, but am looking to teaching more college level courses.
    Thanks!
    Chris from GA

---------------------------------
    Chris Reaves
    Theatre Director/ Fine Arts Chair
    Cedartown High School
    Cedartown, Georgia
    ---------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Southern Oregon Summer Program

Posted 05-19-2016 06:09

I have not done that program, but I was accepted to it last year when I decided to go back to college. It looks like a great program and the area is beautiful. The only down sides I found was having to live with my mother for a month (just kidding) and it seemed to focus very heavy on stagecraft classes.

I decided to attend the University of Houston's Summer MA program for Theatre Educators, I am currently in my second year. I love the program. In my opinion it is a much broader program not just teaching stagecraft, but also voice, acting and directing. Also a big plus is each year we travel to a different theatre city to study for a week, last year Chicago, this year London and RADA, next year NYC. Most of my students are more likely to attend Houston over SOU and I can commute (no living with mom.)

In my limited experience and research if you want to teach JC then then either program will get your foot in the door, but if you want to teach at the university level you will find it easier with a terminal degree like a MFA or a PHD in a theatre related concentration.

I was considering the move to the JC system, but a JC teacher friend told me a joke that kind of hit home.

What's the difference between a college freshman and a high school senior? Three months.

Hope this helps

Facebook

Facebook remove preview
    Facebook

View this on Facebook >
    ------------------------------
    Greg Alldredge
    Head Director
    Cypress Springs High School
    Cypress TX

• 3.  RE: Southern Oregon Summer Program

Posted 05-19-2016 07:09

Hi Chris!

I am heading out to Ashland in two weeks to walk for graduation of the Masters of Theatre Production and Design at Southern Oregon University.

I loved it!

The focus is on Directorial Analysis and how that paves the way for Scenic Design, Costume Design, Lighting Design and Sound Design. The work during the school year is 2 Literary Analysis Papers, 2 projects that go hand-in-hand with productions you are putting on at your school, a Curriculum Project in the first year, a Research Project of your choosing each year (2), and a Theoretical Design Project. The Theoreticals need to be mailed out to Oregon by mid-June prior to each of the 3 summer sessions.

The Theoreticals are definitely the most work, and most students have to re-do parts (or all) while they are in session. The course load for the 2 weeks of the main session is busy, but amazing. The electives are one class 8-4 (ish) for 5 days, are more low-key, and you always have a choice of 3.

As an Acting Undergrad, this program was insanely helpful to me. My Technical Director started a year after me and will finish this July... If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me. Amber_C_Perkins@mcpsmd.org

Amber Perkins

• 4.  RE: Southern Oregon Summer Program

Posted 05-19-2016 11:59

Hey Chris,

I was in Amber's cohort through the first two years. Then my job changed and I did not complete the final summer, but I still feel I reaped the full benefits of the program. As she said, it is focused on the director's concept and how to work with the design and technical side of the production. 

I entered the program to update my tech and design skills (I was a tech undergrad in the 70s - computers did not exist outside of NASA). I found the directoral analysis the most useful part of the course. It helped me tie in all of the design elements to unite all aspects of the production. The best part by far is the cohort. You will spend three weeks for 3 summers going through hell weeks of production design with these other teachers and have them with you for the rest of your time, career, whatever. since we almost always work in solo, having these other professionals to think  and bemoan and celebrate educational theatre with is awesome. 

originally, I was looking for hand-on tech (computer boards, electrics, etc) and this course deals with these things but is not focused there. However, I got way more out of the whole thing that I expected. do it.

Nancy Huffaker
    Theatre Teacher
    [Oberoi International School]
    [Mumbai]

• 5.  RE: Southern Oregon Summer Program

Posted 05-19-2016 10:02
    I too have been very curious about this program!! 
    Suzanne Music Craig
    MS/HS Theatre & Speech
    Lipscomb Academy

• 6.  RE: Southern Oregon Summer Program

Posted 05-19-2016 12:07

I was looking through their web site yesterday. Sounds fantastic!

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 7.  RE: Southern Oregon Summer Program

Posted 05-20-2016 09:37

I finished this program in 2010 and loved it.  It made me a much better teacher.  As the thread has pointed out, it is more focused on the technical theater side since it is a Masters in Production and Design.  It is a LOT of work, but I found it to be very much worth it. 

As one of the previous writers pointed out, the very best part is the cohort  that you get to spend 3 years with.  The professors are also excellent.

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that SOU is in Ashland, OR which is where the Oregon Shakespeare Festival is.  Their productions are fabulous and serve as examples for discussion in the SOU classes.  The program pays for 4 shows each summer and if you plan your time well, you can see everything the festival is doing while you are there.  That is usually 8-9 shows of very high quality.  

I highly recommend the program.  (Although one caveat that I would have from the original question is that I'm not sure it really is meant to prep you for college teaching.  I bet an MFA is a better bet there but you would need to ask around.)

Christopher Sheldon
    Performing Arts Teacher
    Bancroft School
    Worcester MA

• 8.  RE: Southern Oregon Summer Program

Posted 05-20-2016 11:44

I completed the program in 2014 and cannot say enough good things about SOU. 

The program is focused on Directorial Analysis, concept development and all disciplines of design for production. I have a decent background in technical theater but I still found an incredible amount of value with this program. It supplemented what I already knew and still taught me so much more. 

I echo what has already been said about the quality of professors and the environment of Ashland. OSF was something I had been wanting to visit since I was in high school and one of the draws of the SOU program. The three years there did not disappoint (though a couple of the productions may have...) 

The biggest benefit were the other students/teachers. Being in a non-competitive, creative environment with high school theater teachers from all over North America was such a wonderful experience. Rarely do we have that opportunity to spend time with our colleagues outside of a 2-day conference or a festival where we are minding our students. Each of my classmates and cohort-mates brought their own backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and they made for an incredibly supportive environment. While I may not still speak to everyone that I was at school with, I definitely have a great network of theater teachers all over the country that I will still, on occasion, bounce ideas off of. 

There have been some adjustments to the program in the two years since I completed, but from speaking to some current students who I am still in contact with, they are all for the better. I learned so much at SOU and use so much of my experience there not only in my classroom but in how I approach working on productions. The SOU program has made me a far better teacher and theater educator.

Seth Cohen
    Redondo Beach CA

• 9.  RE: Southern Oregon Summer Program

Posted 05-21-2016 13:12

I am about to finish my 3rd year in this program! I absolutely have loved the time at SOU. I second everything else the others have said.

it is a lot of work, it kicks your butt, you learn a lot, it's a beautiful place. Not to mention the network of theatre teacher lifelong friends you come away with. Totally worth it. Would do it again on a heart beat. 

Be prepared- it is a lot of work during the school year on your own :)

Cambria Beilstein
    Theatre Arts Director
    San Juan Hills High School
    San Juan Capistrano CA

• 10.  RE: Southern Oregon Summer Program

Posted 05-21-2016 21:01

Thanks everyone for your responses. I really enjoy this forum for this very reason.  As some of you mentioned, I asked about possibly being able to teach on the college level after finishing this degree.  I wanted to clarify. I have no interest in a professorship, I just wanted to be qualified to teach the odd course as an adjunct here and there. I am a teacher first, performer second. My M.Ed. in Secondary Ed is in Curriculum. It was dull...dull...dull at least the course work for this degree hits my interest. I can retire in the state of Georgia within 10 years, and I am just exploring the options.  Thanks again.

Chris Reaves
    Theatre Director/ Fine Arts Chair
    Cedartown High School
    Cedartown Civic Arts Commission
    Cedartown, Georgia