Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Technical Theater Textbook

Posted 02-28-2014 12:08
    I am looking for suggestions for a technical theater textbook. My students learn to run sound, run and fix lights, and create sets for shows. I find myself copying and pasting diagrams and manuals. Is there any such comprehensive text that exists?

Thank you,

-------------------------------------------
    Justina Deering
    English/Theater Teacher
    Baldwin-Woodville High School

• 2.  RE:Technical Theater Textbook

Posted 02-28-2014 15:33

I use Stagecraft Fundamentals by Rita Kogler Carver  ISBN 978-0-240-82051-4
    Kathy Cannarozzi-Harris
    Chairperson Of Visual And Performing Arts

• 3.  RE:Technical Theater Textbook

Posted 03-01-2014 07:26
    Hi,

We have used "Scene Design and Stage Lighting" (Parker/Wolf) and "Technical Theatre for Non-Technical People" (Campbell). The first is likely too advanced for many high school students and the second does not seem to go into enough detail to provide more explicit guidance. I have found "Stock Scenery: A Handbook" (Raoul) to be very helpful. It does seem that much of what you may want is equipment specific and as such, the manufacturers often provide very good "how to" articles and manuals. Back to your original question, there are some very good books (as mentioned above) but usually the most efficient resource is searching the net as you have been doing. 
    Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon

• 4.  RE:Technical Theater Textbook

Posted 03-03-2014 10:48

I've been using J. Michael Gillette's Theatrical Design and Production through multiple editions - he's on the 7th now.  I use about 2/3 of it for my Technical Theatre I class and finish it up in Tech II with the addition of a Stage Management book.  If they haven't taken Physics the lighting chapter can be a bit difficult - but the tools chapter is amazing!
    Kathleen Conner
    Performing Arts Department Chair

• 5.  Technical Theater Textbook

Posted 03-04-2014 09:12
    I second Kathleen Conner's recommendation of Gillette's book. The writing is straightforward; the illustrations are helpful and focused. I've been using Gillette's tech theater books for years.

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director