Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Pirates of Penzance script?

Posted 05-11-2016 12:16
    I'm curious as to whether or not anyone has used a script with dialogue for Pirates of Penzance, or if such a thing exists... I've only found sung through versions.  There are several available options, but the one I've found are all music only.  Anyone?
    Kathy Dorgan
    OHS Theatre Director
    English Department

• 2.  RE: Pirates of Penzance script?

Posted 05-11-2016 16:24

We did it this year using the original libretto, not an adaptation.  There are about 3 pages total of spoken word, the rest is sung.  I have not seen an adaptation that isn't sung through.

------------------------------
    Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 3.  RE: Pirates of Penzance script?

Posted 05-12-2016 06:47
    We did Pirates of Penzance, Jr., through MTI last year.  Some of the words that were originally in songs have been extracted from it as dialogue.  I really liked it.  My kids were still "meh" on it because it wasn't a well known name to them. 

Jennifer Simmons, MAT, Theatre Arts Educator --------------------------------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Pirates of Penzance script?

Posted 05-12-2016 07:47

Depending on the grade level you are looking for, you might try the 1-hour version from Pioneer Drama.  I did it with my middle school students a few years ago and it worked really well.  There are spoken dialogue sections as well as segments of the original score. It does stray from the original storyline a bit, but it works well - especially as an introduction to G&S.  www.pioneerdrama.com

Susan Speidel
    Chairman of the Performing Arts Department
    Morristown-Beard School
    NJ

• 5.  RE: Pirates of Penzance script?

Posted 05-12-2016 08:18
    I did this a couple of years back using the Dover Vocal Score version.  It has the dialogue printed separate from the score.   It had a lot more dialogue than I thought.  It is not an adaptation either.

• 6.  RE: Pirates of Penzance script?

Posted 05-12-2016 10:28

I developed a script from the original, using spoken lines in place of the recitative several years ago.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA