Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  National Conference

Posted 05-10-2016 12:32

Hello Colleagues,

My conference application has been denied to attend the Conference in Las Vegas.  The reason - the conference is in Las Vegas.  Am curious whether any other teachers' applications have been denied by the district.  I certainly understand the negative perception of an educator conference in Las Vegas, but I would like to know of any others experiencing this.  Thanks.

------------------------------
    Kirk Erickson
    Clinton Township MI

• 2.  RE: National Conference

Posted 05-10-2016 12:46

Curious. And sad. Sorry to hear that your district is assuming you're going on a mad dash gambling binge. Because by this point, Las Vegas is equally known for its conference hosting as much as it's known for 'What happens in Vegas...'

Are you banned from going totally, or is it that you won't be allowed the time off as 'professional duty'/professional development? I know that money is tight in our district, and it's gotten to the point that, if I want to take my students TO A COLLEGE OF THEATRE for a field trip, we have to pay out of our own pocket for the sub, or out of any available funds in the drama account. This might be a separate issue, but it's shared here as it might be a money issue; maybe they're not willing to pay for the time off, and saying 'It's in Las Vegas' might be considered a valid 'concern'.

As we treat the kids and extend trust to them, so we treat the adults...

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 3.  RE: National Conference

Posted 05-10-2016 14:52

This isn't an issue at all for me. The assumption is a certain level of professionalism will occur at conferences regardless of where they are held. What exactly is the concern about the city? Do you think that providing information on the different classes offered and how they are beneficial? 

Sorry this is happening :(

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: National Conference

Posted 05-11-2016 08:52

Approximately 5.9 million conference attendees took part in over 22,000 conferences in Las Vegas in 2014 according to the Las Vegas Visitors and Convention Bureau. pdf from lvcva.com  

If your district's issue is truly financial, I would understand.  If they are solely hung up that we are in Las Vegas, I would be offended by their lack of respect for your professionalism.

[William] [Myatt] [Drama Director]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]