Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Com System and Walkie Talkies

Posted 05-10-2016 07:50

Hello!

My school recently won a $10,000 award from a local foundation. After purchasing a shed and a gate for our stage, we are looking into a communication system. We have always used our administrator's walkie talkies. We put ear buds in and they work fine. Now, since we have the money, we are looking into something that we can call our own. We have about $3,000 left. Any suggestions you could offer would be helpful. Thank you!

------------------------------
    Carolyn Little
    NJ Chapter Director
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education
    Beachwood NJ

• 2.  RE: Com System and Walkie Talkies

Posted 05-11-2016 07:22

The pro com brand of stage communication systems is an excellent single channel two way com system that is thousands less than the competition. We looked into wireless and other systems a couple years ago and went with pro com. At the time, we purchased five belt packs and transmitter with the base station for around 1000. These are wired, so you have to run cables, but hopefully your district electricians will run some conduit for you!  Happy shopping. 

Charles McHugh
    NBCT
    Theatre Teacher
    Stratford High School

• 3.  RE: Com System and Walkie Talkies

Posted 05-11-2016 07:33
    Hi Carolyn,
    We use a wireless system called Comstar from Eartec, a RI company, which works reasonably well.  The system is designed for sports teams, with a base station that can have two plug-in headsets (we put that in the control booth) and a number of wireless headsets (that we put on stage and followspots).  It is less expensive than Telex or other wireless intercom systems, but is also a little less rugged.  The cable in the plug-in units is delicate so plugging them in and out must be handled with care.  We have recently started to have problems with interference from cell phones in the audience.  I believe we will be able to address that by setting a different communication frequency, but the adjustment will take some time that we haven't had available.  Overall I've been pleased with their performance.
    Rick
    Maine

The information transmitted herein is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and any attachments from any computer.

MSAD #6 - Bonny Eagle Schools
    Buxton - Hollis - Limington - Standish - Frye Island, Maine
    Helping all students to reach their full potential

• 4.  RE: Com System and Walkie Talkies

Posted 05-13-2016 11:42

Is anyone familiar with Eartec's new UltraLITE system? It's full-duplex and there is not belt pack--everything is contained in the headset.

Patrick McGuire
    Drama Director
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake, IL

• 5.  RE: Com System and Walkie Talkies

Posted 05-11-2016 08:23
    Clear com over telex.

Scott Hasbrouck

• 6.  RE: Com System and Walkie Talkies

Posted 05-11-2016 08:43

When I was shopping for an intercom system I asked around and the best piece of advice I got was go with a cabled system, not wireless. Since I had the in-house system already wired I took the advice. The reasoning is if you are talking to a student on the system you know where he/she is. If they are on a wireless system they might be on the loading dock having pizza and not at their position. Not that I don't trust my students but they are teen-agers.

But if you don't have the network wired, going with wireless would be the best and most cost-effective. Call around and ask local theatres what they use, check with the nearest regional theatre or arts center, check with your nearest college/university program.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 7.  RE: Com System and Walkie Talkies

Posted 05-11-2016 09:05
    I've had great results from another company (portacom) with their wired line of equipment, and it's much cheaper than telex or clearcom. They have a wireless line as well, and it looks like they have a 3 drop system in about the $3k price range. I haven't used it myself, but if the quality is anything like that of their wired, it'd be a great product.

Com is really tricky. Ideally you want something that supports "full duplex" meaning you can talk and listen at the same time (like a telephone) AND something that supports low audio levels since often people need to communicate at a whisper level. The "production quality" stuff that supports that is very expensive.
    Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 8.  RE: Com System and Walkie Talkies

Posted 05-12-2016 07:44

I love clear-com systems.  However, due to a renovation that occurred in my first year, the infrastructure (wiring, hook-ups, etc.) for the clear-coms were torn out or damaged.

As a quick, short-term solution, I bought six Cobra walkie-talkies at one of the big-chain hunting/camping outlets for about $30/each.  I found headsets for them on Amazon for another $10/each.  So for just over $250, I had a system that I could use until the school board would re-install our clear-coms. However...

We do so much work outside of our building (competitions, tours to other schools, parades, etc.) that the walkie-talkies have become invaluable!  Also, they are rechargeable, cheaper, and and more durable than other systems.  Each radio has a life-span of about 3 years, but some have lasted longer.  

We did have an issue with signal-crossing with our performers' head-set microphones in our musicals, but we were able to get a sound tech to come in and work out the legal bandwidth settings so we've had no problems since.

As for trusting my crew: wearing a head-set is considered a "badge of honor" in our program.  You have to demonstrate to me that you are trustworthy and vital enough to warrant a radio.  The stage mgrs. and other techies go above and beyond for me in part because they want to earn a radio.

As others have said, clear-coms are fantastic, but there are other options.

--Break a leg!

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN