Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Class Sets of Scripts

Posted 05-09-2016 13:28

Does anyone know of a grant or publishing companies that work with schools that want to purchase a class set of a script? I would really like to have 2-3 plays that I can use in my classes. The problem is that I need 35 copies of each script. That would be a huge cost. My students don't have the money to purchase them and I have no funds to purchase scripts for my class. I will need to fundraise to purchase these. 

Thoughts? 

-Riley

------------------------------
    W. Riley Braem, M.F.A.
    Director of Theatre
    Theatre Teacher
    Northwest High School
    Clarksville, TN

• 2.  RE: Class Sets of Scripts

Posted 05-10-2016 07:41

Dover Publications has low cost copies of many classic plays. I'd start there.

Christina Caltagirone
    High Point NC

• 3.  RE: Class Sets of Scripts

Posted 05-10-2016 08:36

Have you talked to your school bookkeeper? When I want scripts for classroom use only, they are bought using textbook money. After all, scripts are our texts just as much as math books and class novels. At my school an administrator has to approve the purchase, but it does not come out of Drama Club money. 

Jennifer Bennett

Drama Director

Markham Woods Middle School

6003 Markham Woods Road

Lake Mary, FL 32810

(407) 871-1750

[Florida has a very broad Public Records Law. Virtually all written communications to or from School District Personnel are public records available to the public and media upon request. E-mail sent or received on the School District system will be considered public and will only be withheld from disclosure if deemed confidential pursuant to State Law.]

• 4.  RE: Class Sets of Scripts

Posted 05-10-2016 09:25

I did. Theatre isn't up for more textbook funds in my school district until 2018. :-(

W. Riley Braem, M.F.A.
    Director of Theatre
    Theatre Teacher
    Northwest High School
    Clarksville, TN

• 5.  RE: Class Sets of Scripts

Posted 05-11-2016 06:40
    You could try each set through donors choose. People love to fund books.

We have to purchase all scripts/books out of drama account as well. It stinks.

Sent from my iPad

• 6.  RE: Class Sets of Scripts

Posted 05-11-2016 07:29

Do they have to be modern scripts? Many plays which are now in the public domain are available for $1-2 a piece through Amazon, Barnes & Noble, etc. and most are available as free downloads on e-readers. 

As for other options, you may want to talk to other arts content areas about possibly "buying back" their used scripts. Our chorus department has boxes of student scripts from past shows which have already been bought and paid for with the production rights, and as long as you aren't re-producing the show you may be able to use those old books for class. It's not optimal as most scripts are marked up, but you can also turn that into a teaching tool ("Here's how you mark a script so you know what you're doing on stage!") 

Good luck! If you find a grant resource let us know!

LynneaHunter
    Theatre Faculty
    Johnson City Schools
    Johnson CityTN

• 7.  RE: Class Sets of Scripts

Posted 05-11-2016 09:43

If you have access to a copier where you can make a lot of copies Project Gutenberg has free, downloadable scripts that are in the public domain. They are the older translations of the Greeks and Italian plays but it's free and students can download for their pads and phone readers.

Project Gutenberg

Project Gutenberg remove preview
    Project Gutenberg
    50,000 free ebooks to download (epub, kindle, android, ipad).
    View this on Project Gutenberg >

Shakespeare plays are available various places around the net. I use this site a lot:

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare

Mit remove preview
    The Complete Works of William Shakespeare
    Welcome to the Web's first edition of the Complete Works of William Shakespeare. This site has offered Shakespeare's plays and poetry to the Internet community since 1993.
    View this on Mit >
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 8.  RE: Class Sets of Scripts

Posted 05-11-2016 10:06

I'd also suggest Donorschoose. It's a great way to seek out additional funding, and it's a lot easier than writing a grant proposal and hoping for the best.

Don Zolidis
    Cedar Park TX

• 9.  RE: Class Sets of Scripts

Posted 05-11-2016 10:10

Oh one more idea and then I'll keep my mouth shut.

When I taught, I would take my classes to the computer lab to read scripts. Playscripts lets you read 90% of each script online for free - we could all go to the website and look at scripts that way, either together or separately. I would also use a projector in my class - put the script up on the board and read it out loud in class. (For the last bit, just buy one copy and then read the last few pages out loud) -

If you're just reading a play, it's hard to justify the expensive of buying all those scripts, since they're going to get destroyed shortly anyway. And yes, I realize I'm cutting into my sales!

Don Zolidis
    Cedar Park TX

• 10.  RE: Class Sets of Scripts

Posted 05-11-2016 13:05

Donorschoose is good for books.

Another option, requires asking around, is to see if your school has a School Advisory Committee, or SAC fund. Might be known under a different name at your site. Essentially, you write a proposal/idea for a grant, justifying your request (usually this means tying it into the school mission or goals of the School Improvement Plan). I recently managed to score about $1000 worth of a variety of scripts, through writing a reasonable and justifiable request.

Don, I bought Humbletown, among others in that grant, so there's some sales back. :)

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL