Open Forum

View Only

Greek Play, Updated

• 1.  Greek Play, Updated

Posted 05-09-2016 09:44
    I'm looking for an interesting, well-written, updated translation of a Greek play. Any good titles I should check out?

I'm still considering Anouilh's Antigone, but the language is hard for modern teens. I'm also looking at Mary Zimmerman, but I want more titles to read before deciding. Does anyone have recommendations with some or all of these qualifications?
    • well-written, humor ok if it's well done
    • articulation of the same classic themes
    • abstract, flexible set
    • medium to large cast, doubling ok (10 and up)

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Greek Play, Updated

Posted 05-09-2016 10:34

The Birds by Don Zolodis, Playscripts

Good adaptation, flexible casting, large cast, very funny! We sold out twice!

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Greek Play, Updated

Posted 05-09-2016 13:34

If you're looking for something edgier, Too Much Memory might work. It's a modern re-telling of Antigone.It's written for 9, but the Chorus could be split into multiple parts. I've been itching to do this play for a while, but it just hasn't been the best fit cast-wise for the students I've had.

Dramatists Play Service, Inc.

Dramatists remove preview
    Dramatists Play Service, Inc.
    Pay Invoice Fees | Create a DPS Online Account | My Account
    View this on Dramatists >
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 4.  RE: Greek Play, Updated

Posted 05-10-2016 06:01

May I suggest Children of Oedipus--I'm in production right now, fantastic show.  Also, I have an adaption of Oedipus that I wrote, also in production right now.  I'm doing rep theatre with my group, and it is coming together nicely.  I'll be glad to send you the script for Oedipus, if your'e interested.

Jennifer Miguel
    Franklin VA

• 5.  RE: Greek Play, Updated

Posted 05-10-2016 08:26
    I did Anouilh's Antigone last year. We set it in a post apocalyptic cyber punk world. Antigone had a purple Mohawk. Kids really got in to it.

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 6.  RE: Greek Play, Updated

Posted 05-10-2016 08:53

I have directed both The Greek Mythology Olympiaganza and The Frogs by Don Zolidis. Both were extremely well-received! Anouilh's Antigone has always been a favorite, but check out David Rush's version on Playscripts.com.

Carolyn Kovar
    Florissant MO

• 7.  RE: Greek Play, Updated

Posted 05-11-2016 06:47
    I like the version of Antigone that is through playsforyoungaudiences.com (Seattle children's theatre).

I wrote my own one act of The Frogs. I would be happy to share. I also second the Greek Mythology Olympiaganza from Don Zolidis.

Sent from my iPad

• 8.  RE: Greek Play, Updated

Posted 05-10-2016 14:22

I second the motion for David Rush's adaptation of Antigone from Playscripts, Inc.

It's not a straight translation, mind you, but an adaptation, yet it retains the ancient Greek device of choral interludes linking dramatic scenes.  The deeper you get into the play, the more it diverges from Sophocles' telling, but the outcome and the spirit remain the same.

I directed this with my troupe about five years ago.  In addition to two nighttime performances, we gave two performances during the school day.  Enough teachers signed up to bring their classes that the morning performance "sold out" (quotation marks because we're not allowed to charge admission for in-school performances), and as word got around during the day, enough teachers came to me adding their classes to the sign-up sheet for the afternoon performance that we ultimately filled our second house, as well.  What surprised me was how quiet both audiences were; they really got into the piece, and never gave any hint that they were only there because their teachers had made them attend.

Some of our English teachers who had taught a more literal translation of Sophocles gave their students a writing assignment comparing and contrasting the two versions of the story, and they appreciated the fodder for an academic task.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 9.  RE: Greek Play, Updated

Posted 05-11-2016 07:28

There is a playwright in Pittsburgh, Lissa Brennan, who wrote a hilarious verse adaptation of Aristophanes' Lysistrata.  Set in WW II, it parodies all the MGM couples of that era--the rich 'Howell" type, the "His Girl Friday/Philadelphia Story" dynamic, the gangster and his moll, and the Southern bell 'cougar' with a beautiful farm boy.   It is called "Loose Lips Sink Ships."  Lissa hasn't published yet, but when we were looking at for this season, she even offered to rewrite the parts that were too racy for a high school.  Message me at hlove@chccs.k12.nc.us and I'll put you in touch or reach out to her directly on facebook and I'm sure she can send you a perusal script.  

Hope Love
    East Chapel Hill High School Drama Department
    Chapel Hill, NC

• 10.  RE: Greek Play, Updated

Posted 05-11-2016 10:56

There is a playwright in Pittsburgh, Lissa Brennan, who wrote a hilarious verse adaptation of Aristophanes' Lysistrata.  Set in WW II, it parodies all the MGM couples of that era--the rich 'Howell" type, the "His Girl Friday/Philadelphia Story" dynamic, the gangster and his moll, and the Southern bell 'cougar' with a beautiful farm boy.   It is called "Loose Lips Sink Ships."  Lissa hasn't published yet, but when we were looking at for this season, she even offered to rewrite the parts that were too racy for a high school.  Message me at hlove@chccs.k12.nc.us and I'll put you in touch or reach out to her directly on facebook and I'm sure she can send you a perusal script.  

Hope Love
    East Chapel Hill High School Drama Department
    Chapel Hill, NC

• 11.  RE: Greek Play, Updated

Posted 07-20-2020 09:44
    I know this is a way old thread, but has anyone ever run across a decent adaptation of the Cupid & Psyche myth? I love that story, and my kids would like to do something Greek this year. But every version I find either has a small cast or is too adult.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 12.  RE: Greek Play, Updated

Posted 07-21-2020 10:12
    Cassy,

I haven't found a Cupid & Psyche adaptation but I did Don Zolidis's Refugee Women one-act last February. It is a great adaptation of a Greek drama with a great female central message. As a major in classics, I read almost all of the Greek drama in existence and Trojan Women is my favorite and I think the one of most appropriate for high school students to understand. Plus like many of us, I need strong female-centered scripts and female heavy shows; this checks both of those boxes. There is streaming potential here too if you treat it as a documentary or a series of news conferences. Furthermore, the message of Trojan Women/Refugee Women is so timely with the Syrian refugees or the Latinx crisis at the southern border. I would encourage you to look at this script. https://www.playscripts.com/play/3023

Hope you like it as much as I did. I'd be happy to talk to you about it if you would like to.

Nicholas Osenberg
    Design and Technical Theatre
    Warren Consolidated School
    Royal Oak MI