Open Forum

View Only

Light board

• 1.  Light board

Posted 05-08-2016 12:32

We are looking to replace our Strand MX (48 channel). We use the programmable aspect of the board as well as a manual 2 scene pre-set. I believe that the board op should know well beyond where the GO button is and how to handle lighting issues during a performance. What board do you have? What do you like/not like about it? Suggestions?

Peace and blessings,

Tamara Plasterer
    Director of Vocal Music & Theatre - Department Chair /Fine Arts
    Padua Franciscan High School
    tplasterer@paduafranciscan.com
    P 440.845.2444 x145
    F 440.845.5710
    6740 State Road Parma, OH 44134

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message may contain confidential information, including, but not limited to, student personally identifiable information. Such information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, printing, distribution, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please immediately notify me by telephone at (440) 845-2444 to arrange the return of the original document to me. Please also delete the message from your computer.

• 2.  RE: Light board

Posted 05-09-2016 08:44
    I recommend the Ion by Electronic Theatre Controls, Inc. My students love using the board. ETC is very helpful in training and providing software updates. As your lighting needs and inventory grow, the Ion can support that. There are Ion demonstrations on youtube.

--

Donnie Bryan

Department Chair for Visual & Performing Arts

Ensworth School

P: 615.301-8918

E: bryand@ensworth.com

--

Visit us online: ensworth.com

Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Blog

• 3.  RE: Light board

Posted 05-09-2016 09:02

I would agree.  We have 2 Ions (one mainstage and one in the black box).  Great board!

------------------------------
    [William] [Myatt] [Drama Director]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 4.  RE: Light board

Posted 05-09-2016 12:17

We have the same, two ETC Ion boards, one in the Black Box and one in the Main Stage.  It's a great board with lots of support when/if needed.

Ryan Landmann
    Palm Desert CA

• 5.  RE: Light board

Posted 05-09-2016 13:34

I'm going to be controversial here and recommend you don't go with an Ion.  You did mention that you think your students should know more than how to push the Go button, with which I totally agree(!!!), but depending on the extent of the training you are able to give them, the Ion could be overkill (I know, I can hear people cringing...).  Here's something I've written before about light boards (sorry, it's pasted as all one paragraph...):

THE LIGHT BOARD If you are considering purchasing a new light board, or if you are designing a theatre, you will be faced with the decision of what board to choose. You don’t want to be in a situation such as the example in the introduction where the light board is too high tech to be of any practical use in a high school theatre. For instance, if you don’t foresee purchasing $2000.00 moving lights for your high school theatre, and having a professional career training program for a student lighting crew, then there is no need to have a light board sophisticated enough to control moving lights. Leave that for when the vocational student gets to university or starts an apprenticeship. Another thing to avoid is a small light board has a multitude of functions. Some of these compact boards have so many functions that they’ve had to get very creative in how to access each function that it makes it too difficult for students to learn and retain how a basic board works. Be careful that the light board that you spec or purchase doesn’t have too many steps/modes to go through just to perform simple functions such as patching, recording, play back, etc. Some light board these days don’t have faders for channels and rely only on key pad entry. The choice of whether to go with one of these boards depends on the uses of your theatre and who the users will be. I personally find key pad entry too slow. When I’m designing lights I talk pretty fast and I want my light board operator to keep up. I grit my teeth when I say “Bring channel 46 to 80 percent” and I have to wait to hear tap (Channel), tap (4), tap (6), tap (@), tap (8), tap (0), tap (Enter/*), when the light board op could have just reached over an in one movement moved a fader to 80. Of course, these days kids are so used to completing tasks electronically instead of physically, and there can be reasons why you would want a key pad entry in a more sophisticated situation. Again, it boils down to planning ahead and questioning who are your users and what are the uses of your board. At least with a board with faders the operator has the option to use faders or the key pad, but with a board with only a key pad the operator does not have that option. In addition, also watch out for light boards that don’t use standard industry nomenclature, such as “Cues” and “Subs”, for instance. Students don’t learn the common terms that are used in the rest of the live theatre industry, and those who already know the common terms will have to re-learn a set of new terms. Again, state-of-the-art is not always the best choice for a high school theatre. When deciding on a light board remember to ask yourself these questions: • Will the theatre be primarily used by students who come and go every few years? • Will there be vocational training for students? • How many students a year will want to learn to be lighting technicians? • Will the theatre be staffed by professional technicians? • Will the technicians run the theatre, and/or work with the students? • Will the theatre be rented to outside users? • Who will staff outside events, professional staff or students? • Will outside users expected to be able to run their own lights? • Will outside users be permitted to use the theatre’s equipment unsupervised? • Who will restore the equipment each time in preparation for the next user? There is a school of thought that high school students should have the best technology available because they will soon go to a college or get a job where this technology is used and they will have a head start. However, in a high school setting, usually the need to have an easy to learn light board trumps the need to have the best technology. This is primarily because most high school theatre departments have students who come and go. If you’re lucky you will have a freshman come in with a keen interest in lighting and stay for four years. But what usually happens is that either students come in expressing an interest and soon discover it’s not for them, or a student who is passionate has always thought the Drama program was only for actors, and only discovers tech in his/her junior or senior year. In addition, most typical Drama teachers don’t know much tech. They take one look at the light board and leave it up to a student to figure out. Regardless of what light board you have it’s best to hire professional technicians who will be there to mentor the students, which allows the Drama teacher to get on and do what they do best which is teaching acting, and directing students.

Elizabeth Rand
    Founder and Executive Director
    www.PRESETT.org
    Woodinville WA

• 6.  RE: Light board

Posted 05-10-2016 07:52
    The ETC Eos family includes three (maybe four) levels of the system to fit the size of your lighting requirements and your budget. We have a small stage (and a small budget) so we use the Element, which is the base level. The Element, Ion and Eos all use the same software platform and work pretty much the same way, but with added bells and whistles. On this board, and with bringing my old board out of the closet occasionally, I can train my students "the old way" as well as prepare them to encounter modern technology in a light booth when they leave high school.
    Rick Osann
    Bonny Eagle High School
    Standish, ME
    --
    The information transmitted herein is intended only for the person or
    entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential material. Any
    review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any
    action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than
    the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please
    contact the sender and delete the e-mail and any attachments from any
    computer.

MSAD #6 - Bonny Eagle Schools
    Buxton - Hollis - Limington - Standish - Frye Island, Maine
    Helping all students to reach their full potential

• 7.  RE: Light board

Posted 05-09-2016 13:39

We have had an ETC Express 24/48 for about 10 years, and it has never given us a bit of trouble.  We keep all of our lighting instruments patched into channels 1-24, then use the bottom panel for submasters.  We used to use it as a two-scene preset on occasion, but my young lighting techs like submasters better.  The board is excellent for teaching.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 8.  RE: Light board

Posted 05-10-2016 08:41
    I am going to second the thoughts on the Express. I now have an Element and the Express seemed to be the best of both worlds and better for teaching.

Scott Hasbrouck

• 9.  RE: Light board

Posted 05-11-2016 08:25

I teach in a middle school, and we have the ETC Express (10 years now).  It is perfect for us.  We use the sliders and the keypad, we program some shows and use subs for concerts and visiting performers.  Visiting groups are not required by our district to pay for a person from our school to man the light board - so there needs to be a simple way to use it. (Not ideal, but not likely to change.)

We are working (slowly) toward a grant that would upgrade our lighting, and planning a very gradual transition to LEDs.  I don't see any moving lights as likely.

The Element has been recommended for us (by a lighting company).

Can anyone comment on the differences between the Express and the Element?  Pros and cons of a tracking board?

Are there any other options closer to the Express that will work with LEDs?

Thanks!

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 10.  RE: Light board

Posted 05-09-2016 21:11

Sadly, today's high-tech boards can get some operators so focused (no pun intended) on the bells and whistles that they forget that they're not controlling lights, but that they are helping to tell a story. A light operator has to watch the actors as well as listen to the stage manager. The board should not get in the way.

Boards and technology come and go. Today's state-of-the-art stuff will be tomorrow's door stop. But learning to really understand what they're doing when lighting a show, and why it's important, will take the kids a lot farther than being a crackerjack operator of technology..

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 11.  RE: Light board

Posted 05-11-2016 08:26

An argument for antiquated, analog systems:

We have a very old manual board/dimmer setup (Leprecon).  We have DJ style par lights that work, but there is no room for getting really creative and designing a lighting set-up that helps convey mood or character in a substantial way.  I've learned to make it work both for our productions as well as a training tool.

Because it is a manual fader system, it is rugged and my freshmen and inexperienced students can "play" with the board and dimmers while they explore how levels, colors, etc. help tell a story.  While I do supervise, I'm not too panicked about them breaking anything or causing a safety hazard.  

We are saving up to buy a "real" lighting system (digital board, LEDs, etc.).  However, I'm still going to keep our current system as a training tool for as long as possible.

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 12.  RE: Light board

Posted 05-12-2016 21:17

I'm not a Technical Theatre expert, but was wondering if anyone given thought to a computer based system?  And what some of the more focused Techies out there may have to say on the matter.

Some organizations are going to PC/Mac based software with a USB or LAN interface to a DMX controller.  The professional space in nearby Tacoma is one of them.  These systems are reported to be easily expandable, can run over WiFi, and some allow for remote control using tablets or smartphones.  And the costs of the software and hardware required is comparable to dedicated lighting control boards.  It would also allow for general cue programming off site, if a laptop is used.

As my aesthetic tends toward minimalism, and my experience before teaching was in computer networking, this is the direction I was leaning.

Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Clover Park High School
    Lakewood, Washington

• 13.  RE: Light board

Posted 05-13-2016 20:37

My school has an ETC Element. As the student technical lead, I'm often assisting teachers in turning on the auditorium lights for their own events. I have a set of instructions with correlating labels on the light board to guide the teachers (many of whom are scared of all the buttons and don't want to mess anything up). The Element is very simple to operate with clear instructions and we have had much success with a general lighting submaster to assist teachers (the administrators love being able to come into the auditorium, follow the directions, and set up their own tech).

Compared to other boards I've used out in the community, the Element can get lights up and running very simply.

Hope this helps!

Amy

Amy Ariel
    Troupe 4250 - Honor Thespian & Presidential Scholar
    Mills E. Godwin High School
    Henrico, VA

• 14.  RE: Light board

Posted 05-15-2016 18:02

VERY helpful!

Thanks, Amy!