Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  BLOCK classes vs HOURLY classes?

Posted 05-04-2016 14:27

Is this discussion already on here?

I am a huge lover of Block-length classes (double the length, meets every other day) versus the 55-minute class that meets daily like 'every other class.'

I feel like a 90-100-120 minute class looks and feels more like a proper rehearsal. 

Meeting daily (and mind you, it's just one class, the Homeroom) has proven to be offer an abnormal increase in discipline problems that I don't usually encounter in my classes. Alas, I can't be certain that it's the non-Block or the First Period (7:35am) that  is the culprit.

Please weigh in, or provide a link to the other discussion if it's happened.

------------------------------
    Donalda A. McCarthy
    Tweets @MissDonni
    IG @IntlTheatreTeacher

Theatre Education
    Palm Beach Lakes High School
    West Palm Beach, FL, USA

• 2.  RE: BLOCK classes vs HOURLY classes?

Posted 05-05-2016 22:21

I happened upon an research paper comparing block and daily schedules that was written a couple of years ago, but can seem to find it now.  The author was doing research for the EdD and was comparing the academic results of schools in the same district in southern Florida that had both block and daily schedules.  The specific district was not mentioned as a standard in publishing papers of this sort.  And most of the information on comparisons is based on looking at academic testing scores.

Over a five year period of data gathered, there was no significant difference in test scores between the two scheduling types for most classes.  Although it was interesting that Mathematics scores were always a bit lower on block schedules, although not enough to be statistically significant.

Running rehearsal for a full length play in a 55 minute period seems impossible to me.  Running a regular rehearsal in a three hour block after school for a full length play can be challenging when trying to pull a show together in six to eight weeks.

Personally, I prefer daily 55 minute academic classes.  Students tend to get overwhelmed in the longer classes and need "brain breaks" in addition to the passing periods.  Additionally, although block schedules allow more class time per day, they have less class time per year.  Finally, the amount of time spent in review for each prior class period, as it is frequently be four days between class meetings, further reduces the time students can engage in the concepts and work with them directly.

Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Clover Park High School
    Lakewood, Washington

• 3.  RE: BLOCK classes vs HOURLY classes?

Posted 05-06-2016 08:17

When my school was voting on whether to go to block schedule, my vote was a lukewarm no. As I told folks at the time, I could see advantages and disadvantages. I wasn't sure how it would weigh out.

Now, after almost 20 years of block schedule, I can firmly say I would not want to go back. I get so much more accomplished in much greater depth and time to really delve into projects without it feeling like I have to close out and clean up almost as soon as I have started. Sure students need to have "brain breaks," but that's easy in theatre. (and productive!)

Just my opinion - No research - I think it's better.

Regards,

Bob

Robert Smith
    VA Co-Chapter Director
    James Madison High School
    Vienna VA

• 4.  RE: BLOCK classes vs HOURLY classes?

Posted 05-06-2016 11:43

I'd have to instill an "argument" that 20 years experience IS it's own research!

Donalda A. McCarthy
    Tweets @MissDonni
    IG @IntlTheatreTeacher

Theatre Education
    West Palm Beach, FL, USA

• 5.  RE: BLOCK classes vs HOURLY classes?

Posted 05-07-2016 11:00
    I went to HS on block scheduling and loved it. I much prefer it to what my school currently uses: 4x4. We have semester long classes everyday for 90 minutes each. AP classes and a few select classes are all year every other day. I hate it, unequivocally. The reason: sometimes kids go a whole year without a class (math first semester one year and then the next level second semester the following year, for example). This means they lose knowledge, continuity, and momentum. Why did they do it? Testing. If a kid fails a standardized test they can put them in the class the following semester for a second, or third, or sometimes fourth try without them getting too far behind. What class do they pull them from for this? Electives. Your class. Duh. So beyond perpetuating a mentality that the test is the only thing that matters and that you can fail because we'll make time for you to recover- it decimates your ability to build a program if your first level students aren't in until second semester. So if this option is given: fight it.

That's what I have to say about that. 90 minutes is awesome. All year.

--
    Victoria Kesling Councill
    Chapter Director - VA EdTA/ Virginia Thespians
    Theatre Director- Fine & Performing Arts Department NKHS
    Artistic Director - NKHS Trojan Theatre
    Artistic Director - Kent England Exchange Production
    Virginia Commonwealth University BFA Theatre Education, BFA Art Education '08

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art." - Konstantin Stanislavski

• 6.  RE: BLOCK classes vs HOURLY classes?

Posted 05-08-2016 12:53

In my district, my high school has an alternating block schedule (8 yearlong classes that alternate days with 90 minute periods), while the other high school has an intensive block schedule (Four 90 minute classes everyday for one semester and new classes the next, some are "skinny" 45 minute classes yearlong).

I find the alternating block to be murder on consistency. Students don't remember what was due when it was assigned two days ago (or four if it's over a weekend). If students miss two days that week they really miss an entire week of class.

I'd like an intensive block, but the teachers in our building are adamantly against it. It seems that intro classes would be best served so that those who know it's not for them only have to tough it out for a semester.

Zach Schneider
    Troupe No. 1
    Teacher
    Natrona County High School
    Casper, WY

• 7.  RE: BLOCK classes vs HOURLY classes?

Posted 05-12-2016 08:33

Zachary, are "the other teachers in [your] building" that are opposed to it teachers of the Arts and Sciences? Or lecture-based classes?

Donalda A. McCarthy
    Tweets @MissDonni
    IG @IntlTheatreTeacher

Theatre Education
    West Palm Beach, FL, USA