Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Play Production Class Structure

Posted 02-26-2014 13:31
    How do you run your play production class if you have one? Do you do auditions and when? Do you require your crew to register for the class? Do you cast each play separately each semester?

Can you explain how you run these classes or if you do an after school program?

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
    Elizabeth Brasler

-------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Play Production Class Structure

Posted 07-27-2016 18:34

Elizabeth, did you ever get a response to your questions?  I was about to initiate the same discussion and would like to see what others have said.

Tisha

------------------------------
    Tisha Donnelly
    Director, troupe #5591
    Vanden High School
    Fairfield, CA

• 3.  RE: Play Production Class Structure

Posted 07-28-2016 09:54

Good morning,

I must have missed this the first time around.  I have run a play production course for the last 26 years.  

The kids in class have several elements they must meet in order to receive credit:  1) their main assignment, i.e. actor, costume crew leader, props crew leader or business manager, or stage manager, 2)  10 hours of tech in an area outside of their main assignment. The course is a semester long, repeatable course.

We also do group work on deciding set designs, discussions of historical context, dialect coaching, etc.  --it all depends upon the play we are working on.

We do about 2 plays per semester class--so if I have 3 semester classes then I have 6 shows. 

I do hold auditions in February, when we do course registration for the next school year.  These are placement auditions, not an audition to be in or out of the class.  They are pretty general, although from working with these kids for a couple years, I have a pretty good idea of what they need as challenges or development.  The auditions are readings from several plays I think might be good as educational challenges.  Once  I narrow the possibilities down, I have the kids read in specific roles and combinations.  

As far as crews, I have the kids who are more tech-oriented make the request in writing for a crew leader position--although, I try to make sure that each actor--at some point has a crew leader position for a well-rounded understanding of the production.  (We do about 6-8 shows a year, depending on the number of kids and their needs).  My potential stage managers do the same.

The crews themselves are either kids from the class, or kids who just want to try out theatre and see what it's all about.  

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you want more details.

Holly

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 4.  RE: Play Production Class Structure

Posted 08-05-2016 13:44

Holly, would you be willing to share the course description for your production class?  I am planning on changing the wording of my advanced drama course description to include the production aspects of the class and would love to see some examples.

Tisha Donnelly
    Director, troupe #5591
    Vanden High School
    Fairfield, CA

• 5.  RE: Play Production Class Structure

Posted 07-28-2016 15:28

Hi Elizabeth.  The way Play Production was broken up at my school was:

We went through the entire production hierarchy (producers, administrative staff of Publicity, Box Office, Program, Accounting, etc, then creative staff of Artistic Director, Director, Choreographer, Dance Captain, Conductor, Vocal Coach, Music Director, performers and tech crews).  

The Stage Design and Theatre technology Classes concentrated on Set and Lighting Design, Set, Props, Electrics, Audio, and Costumes projects.  

The Play production Class concentrated on projects other than the Stage Design Class (Directing, Make-up, Publicity, Program, Box Office, Program, and other more traditional administrative areas).  

These were  semester classes, and seemed to time out well for that length of time.  It also worked out well as program builders, and we employed 2 1/2 theatre faculty positions in a school with a 10-12 enrollment of 1,200 students.  Also, the after school tech program grew to the point we would regularly have 80-100 students apply for tech crew positions, and had to add a touring Children's production to our 314 MainStage productions so we could accommodate the students who wanted to get involved. 

If you have any questions, or would like my workshop handout on Building Your Design and Tech Theatre Program, please don't hesitate to contact me at:

bob@interactiveeducationalvideo.com

Bob Fowler

• 6.  RE: Play Production Class Structure

Posted 07-28-2016 10:24

Good morning,

We run two play production classes at school each year, one per semester. It is a class we hold auditions for. They are auditions to be in the class but we usually cast it based on those auditions as well. I do make my tech people register for the class as well. (Puts a few more people in the class to help justify).

We focus each semester a little differently. First semester is focused on acting where lessons are designed and taught around acting theories and such, where the second semester is designe more around tech, where students are responsible for different aspects of the production from publicity, to costumes, to set design etc.

we have put together a manual with a bunch of assignments for both semesters so not all get used, but they include cue sheets, costume design sheets, press release sheets, uta hagen acting exercises, Stanislavsky exercises etc. 

In the tech focused class the only thing about the production the kids don't do is direct, and that is because we don't really have many theatre classes at school and they usually don't feel prepared enough to do that. But the kids usually come out of these classes with a better understanding of what it takes to put on a production.

It has really worked well for us.

Jeffrey Witt
    Independence OR

• 7.  RE: Play Production Class Structure

Posted 08-05-2016 13:49

I'm developing a one-woman program and would be infinitely appreciative if you'd be willing to share the manual you mentioned in your post.

If you're willing, thank you so much.  Perhaps you could respond to me at tisha.donnelly@gmail.com

Tisha

Tisha Donnelly
    Director, troupe #5591
    Vanden High School
    Fairfield, CA

• 8.  RE: Play Production Class Structure

Posted 08-06-2016 19:17

My shows are all after school.  Kids audition, we rehearse, the usual song and dance for after school productions.

After, this year we are adding a class called  "advanced theatre production."  This is a class of advanced actors, directors and technicians.  In order to be in the class, students must have completed a C or higher in 2 semesters of acting, directing or stagecraft and have my permission.  My intention was to just have one period but so many kids wanted to do it that we now have 2 periods of it!  Anyone who wanted to be in the class - actor, director or technician - had to sign up for the class.  it is the one class I will not allow admin or counselors to put kids in without my permission.

The class is a completely student run production company.  The plan is that the student directors in the class will select a show based on who is in their class, the budget they have, the costumes/props/set items we have on hand, etc.  You know, the usual criteria we use when selecting a show.  They will then hold auditions in our class period and cast from that.  The only restriction I am giving them is that they must cast everyone who auditions in some way, so that means they'll have to choose a show that uses flexible casting.  I'm also pushing them toward shows that allow them to use an ensemble in a large way.  The reason I am implementing that rule is that I don't want someone who came into the class as an actor to not have a role and then be stuck.

The student technicians in the class will design and produce the things needed for the show, staying within budget.  Class time will be used for rehearsal and construction.  I am imagining that we will hold after school rehearsals for 2 weeks before their performance weekend.  Performances will be one weekend, and we'll probably do a Thursday/Friday/Saturday matinee/Saturday eve.

Because this is not outside the school day, I will receive no extra duty pay for it.  The way my contract is set up, I get extra duty pay for the musical and 2 plays per year.  

I know that doesn't really answer your question, but perhaps it gives someone some ideas!

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR