Open Forum

View Only

Female-Heavy Musical

• 1.  Female-Heavy Musical

Posted 05-02-2016 07:55

I’ll have three very strong girl seniors next year, each of which could easily handle a lead role in a musical (plus quite a few very talented younger girls). The boys won’t be as strong, and I don’t anticipate any senior boys auditioning next year. I’m looking for a musical that is female heavy and has at least three fairly large roles for girls, and does not require a leading role for a boy.

The musical director and I have looked at Sister Act, but only one of the three girls could play the lead since, as written, the lead is a black woman. Plus, I don’t really like the show. We’re considering Wizard of Oz since the Lion, Scarecrow and Tinman could conceivably be played by girls.

Do you have any suggestions for a show that can showcase at least three strong girls, doesn’t need a leading man, and can still have an ensemble of 20?

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 2.  RE: Female-Heavy Musical

Posted 05-03-2016 05:39

I haven't looked at Sister Act yet....was going to request a perusal....since we also have quite a few strong female students and are thinner on our males.  Does the script specifically note or rely on Delores' ethnicity or is it just an assumption because of the movie?

Lynda Gibson
    Jr. Troupe 88305
    Flushing MI

• 3.  RE: Female-Heavy Musical

Posted 05-03-2016 07:38

I've just finished reading through Sister Act.  Delores is written as an African American, with multiple references to her ethnicity throughout the show.  

Once Upon a Mattress is a good female-heavy musical.  I cast females as both the wizard (a non-singing part) and the jester, so this helped.

Robert Ellis
    North Richmond VA

• 4.  RE: Female-Heavy Musical

Posted 05-03-2016 07:17
    We just closed 9 to 5: The Musical, and it was very successful.  I had essentially the same requirements you have.  Three GREAT female parts.  You do need a boy that can pull off Hart (the boss), but it's more of a character thing than a lead.  The romantic lead is a relatively small part.  It's a pretty difficult show technically, but it sounds like it might work for you.

Allan

--
    Allan Dodson
    Fine Arts Department
    Blessed Trinity High School

• 5.  RE: Female-Heavy Musical

Posted 05-03-2016 07:44

If Sister Act sparked your interest, why not look at Nunsense?  

Christina Iman
    Teacher
    Ripley WV

• 6.  RE: Female-Heavy Musical

Posted 05-03-2016 08:19

Try Once on this Island. The gods all become goddesses. It works and the kids will have a ball!! Ethnic diversity helps but it can be done without if necessary.  There is an option in the script.  Delightful show!!

Maggie Ward
    Columbia MD

• 7.  RE: Female-Heavy Musical

Posted 05-03-2016 08:29

If your girls have the vocal chops, I would suggest LITTLE WOMEN, THE MUSICAL. One of my favorite and most beautiful shows I've ever worked on. Rewarding too.

Rich Luedeke
    Blackhawk Christian Theatre
    Fort Wayne, IN

• 8.  RE: Female-Heavy Musical

Posted 05-03-2016 09:51
    We just did Legally Blonde this year in part for the reason you articulate. It has technical challenges and there is some content some members of your community may have concerns about, but the opportunity to feature so many fabulous female performers with an uplifting message was too hard to pass up. 

Jessica Speck
    Thomas S. Wootton HS
    Rockville, MD

• 9.  RE: Female-Heavy Musical

Posted 05-03-2016 11:15

I am in a similar situation.  I just read part of the free Sister Act perusal from MTI and was not impressed.  Little Women does have some nice music--smaller cast--mainly women.  I'm also looking at Hello Dolly!  2 lead female roles, other parts for women as well.  Lots of nice smaller character roles as well.  Tams Witmark has also done some voice-transpositions for the role of Dolly since most high school kids can't sing in Carol Channings range!

Cindy Skelton
    Drama Teacher
    San Mateo Union High School District
    Burlingame CA

• 10.  RE: Female-Heavy Musical

Posted 05-03-2016 14:01

I think 'The Drowsy Chaperone' could work? The male solos could be played for comedy, if you still have boys who want to perform but can't sing for toffee...

'Legally Blonde' is a good option. 'Wizard of Oz' will make you a stack of money, and we did it with only the Tin Man as a male, but the songs aren't incredibly challenging (unless you throw in 'JItterbug' and do the crazy protracted dance choreography for that number).

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 11.  RE: Female-Heavy Musical

Posted 05-04-2016 09:00

I also directed "9 to 5" two years ago with an all-female cast. It's fun! Some of the content is a little "mature" so I played with those moments to make them a little less obvious. There are three very strong female leads with one showstopper song by another supporting character, "Roz." What I loved most in this musical, were the scenes between the three women together. It's a show about friendship, empowerment, and love!

Good luck!

Jennifer Jordan
    Drama and Dance Director
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA