Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Scripts for pleasure reading

Posted 05-01-2016 22:54

There are so many ways I use this community, but I must say, one of my recent favorite uses is to add to my already swollen Amazon wish list. I love recommended reading from my fellow community members. 

We're not too terribly far away from summer reading season. And as I period. .ically resolve to read more dramatic literature for pleasure, I thought I'd throw it out to my wise and giving peers...what scripts should I be reading for fun? Disclaimer: I'm not asking for dramatic works that I could consider for using with students. This one's just for us. 

I'll start the ball rolling, though my suggestion isn't super new or novel (Pulitzer prize winners for drama aren't exactly obscure), but the last play I read and had to catch my breath upon finishing was John Patrick Shanley's Doubt. What are your favorite reads? (Perhaps we need to start a virtual book club.)

------------------------------
    Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 2.  RE: Scripts for pleasure reading

Posted 05-02-2016 10:27
    I fell in love with Constellations by Nick Payne.  I also enjoyed Fat Pig by Neil LaBute.  (I should probably mention that "enjoyed" meant that I felt it had a very powerful and timely message.)  I also like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time adapted by Simon Stephens, and Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike by Christopher Durang.  I am excited to see other responses to your question, because I would also like to do some summer pleasure reading!

Thanks,
    Lisa Ronca
    Ballard High School
    701 Ballard Drive
    Huxley, IA 50124
    (515) 597-2971 ext. 2178

• 3.  RE: Scripts for pleasure reading

Posted 05-02-2016 16:17

I second 'Sonya and Masha...' and 'Curious Incident.'

Try 'The Totalitarians.' It's a disturbing hoot. 

'I and You' by Gunderson

'All the Way' was pretty awesome. 

'True West' is an absolute favorite of mine, in fact anything by Sam Shepard. My goal is to try and mount at least one of his plays whilst I'm at high school. Gonna take some ninja skills to do it, but...

Thanks for starting this thread, Ryan! Always looking to add more books than I can possibly ever get to in my lifetime to my Amazon list...:)

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 4.  RE: Scripts for pleasure reading

Posted 05-02-2016 10:31

My favorite is "The Dazzle" by Richard Greenberg.  No way I could ever do this play but I have had students use it for scene work.  I love re-reading it every few years.  

Debbie MacKinney
    Theatre Teacher, CTE Technical Theater, Troupe 7334 Advisor
    Tanque Verde Unified School District
    Tucson AZ

• 5.  RE: Scripts for pleasure reading

Posted 05-02-2016 13:11

I've always been a fan of "Fires In The Mirror" by Anna Devere Smith. There's something so refreshing about reading something from so many different viewpoints and beliefs. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 6.  RE: Scripts for pleasure reading

Posted 05-02-2016 16:14

The Pillowman. It's about as dark as it gets, but it is soooooooo good! Great for scene work, too - if you have a class mature enough to handle it.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 7.  RE: Scripts for pleasure reading

Posted 05-02-2016 20:17

I think it would be cool to read all of August Wilson's work-- or all of Arthur Miller's work.  That would be cool.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 8.  RE: Scripts for pleasure reading

Posted 05-03-2016 06:34
    Oh I just read the Hamilton book with annotations, etc. That was great. It is quite beautiful too.

Sent from my iPad

• 9.  RE: Scripts for pleasure reading

Posted 05-03-2016 09:04

I love this thread.  thank you!  I am just slowly coming out of my retirement from drama teaching in the schools coma and am ready to be involved in theatre for myself.

Looking forward to directing "The Vagina Monologues" at a theatre here.

After trying to find plays for school use for so many years, it is refreshing to read for me.  I loved, loved ,loved my teaching career- please don't misunderstand.

I am going to read Arthur Miller this summer.  Just saw the revival of "The Crucible" and want to revisit several of his works.  I also want to try reading "The Humans" and August Wilson in chronological order.

Keep the suggestions coming and thank you!n

Jan Jensen
    Tucker GA