Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Student boards vs officers

Posted 04-29-2016 11:02

I am considering starting a student board to run our drama club to replace officers. My issue is that the election for officers is often a popularity contest and the best student for the job is often not the one who is voted into the position.

Also this year I have had some in fighting among the officers concerning whose job is whose and they are thought to be  superior to the members of the club or they try to be superior!

I want to create a board in which all of the positions are equal and which is not an elected position.  Thoughts? Ideas?

------------------------------
    Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT

• 2.  RE: Student boards vs officers

Posted 04-29-2016 12:11

I went to a Board of Officers several years ago for the same reason.  I know others have great success with the traditional officer hierarchy, but I struggled not only with the popularity piece but also with the President almost always doing all the work.

I created an outline that covers all of the work officers are charged with and then each year sit down with the current officers and have them determine how to equitably divide the work depending on that groups talent/skill/leadership mix.  It has worked much better for our Troupe.

I also have a panel select the officers based on an application and an interview process.  It provides an awesome opportunity to explain what their getting into, affirm the strengths I've observed and potentially have some hard conversations with students who haven't really demonstrated positive leadership.

The real key is to create something that works for your Troupe.  

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 3.  RE: Student boards vs officers

Posted 04-29-2016 13:57

I switched to a board this year as well. We have a President and a VP, and then a board. Each member brings their talents and connections to the group based on their interest. 

Workings the the board we made assignments for them 

President - Rep for current freshmen

VPs - Reps to recruit current 8th grade students

Board Members - Reps for Choir, Band, Drama, Tech, Acting, and other organizations. 

At our board meetings, they come up with the monthly needs for the department and assign based on their schedule. 

Alex Moore
    Theatre Arts Director
    St. Louis MO

• 4.  RE: Student boards vs officers

Posted 05-05-2016 07:37

I have a student elected board with a rigorous election process. Only inducted Thespians may vote. Students running must complete an application with endorsements from 1 current member of the Governing Board, 1 Senior Thespian Troupe Member, and 2 teachers that are not me. They must also have a 3.0 GPA and at least 20 Thespian Points earned per year they've been a part of ITS. They must have a platform for the upcoming school year and express this in a letter of intent to the current Governing Board Seniors. They must also provide a copy of their 2-3 minute campaign speech. Students and teachers meant to give endorsements are instructed to not provide an endorsement unless all other components of their application have been completed and they are encouraged to question the applicant. 

Once all applications are handed in they are reviewed by me and the Seniors on Governing Board and we formulate questions for an interview. In the interview we are very direct about how they intend to implement their ideas and if they are clearly running self-serving, self-indulgent campaign (want to be all-powerful in order to get the things they want) we bring that up in the interview. After the interview they have 2 days to revise and resubmit their campaign speeches based off of the feedback we gave them. They only deliver speeches if we have more applicants than we have spots. In 6 years here I've only had 2 years where speeches were actually given. Generally, with the high standard we set students don't typically run unless they know they are willing to work that hard.

The positions we have are:

Chair, Vice Chair, Historian, Treasurer, Secretary, Public Relations, Advocacy/ Outreach.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Chapter Director - VA EdTA/ Virginia Thespians
    Theatre Director- Fine & Performing Arts Department NKHS
    Artistic Director - NKHS Trojan Theatre
    Artistic Director - Kent England Exchange Production
    Virginia Commonwealth University BFA Theatre Education, BFA Art Education '08
    University of Houston - MA in Theatre Candidate '16

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art." - Konstantin Stanislavski

• 5.  RE: Student boards vs officers

Posted 05-04-2016 15:14

I'm jumping on the BOARD bandwagon here, too. Alas, I'm also on Team Do-What-Works.

My past four years of Leadership, in particular, have ALL been different:

President, no officers

Prez, VP, they select their own Assistants/Board

Co-Presidents and Managers (think- Section Leaders)

Fab Five Officers with a sole Prez for final say and publicity.

Here's how I select: (This is posted on our class Edmodo page)

It's time for the Juniors in the Advanced class to apply and be nominated for Thespian Officers.

I will be accepting nominations/self-nominations in video form ONLY.
    A privately-set YouTube link will be sent to me.
    Nominees do NOT need to be told they are being nominated, although, it's probably a good idea for the Nominators to tell their Nominee themselves.

The video must be NO LESS THAN 3:00 minutes and NO MORE THAN 9:30 minutes.

The students should address their/their nominees':
    - strength as a leader, both in front and "behind"
    - commitment to the Theatre Programme
    - their project grades in the Theatre class
    - interest in performing arts as a whole
    - activity level within the Programme since they began
    - goals for the Programme they may want to spearhead (goals, not shows)
    - activities, sports, and clubs they are in or want to be in besides Theatre

>NO STUDENTS< WILL SEE THE VIDEOS.
    They should use language and conversation appropriate for a conversation with an adult.
    The shy students will need to be encouraged to BRAG about themselves and this will be difficult. However, remind them that as an Officer, they will, at some point, need to stand up for themselves. So, to use the things their grandmother would say about them to other grandmothers bragging about their own grandchildren. That should help them buck up the courage needed.

Deadline for the video links to be emailed to me should be the Seniors' last day/exam day (MAY 6th) , as some Seniors may wish to submit their nominations as well. (In particular, the current Officers.)

7 Steps to a Killer Video Application
    Themuse remove preview
    7 Steps to a Killer Video Application
    Last year, I applied for the job I now have (and love!): the Account Management role at ZeroCater. The position seemed like a perfect fit, and I couldn't send in my resume quickly enough. However, part of the application process included submitting a video, which was a very first in my job search adventures.
    View this on Themuse >

How To Make A Good Impression In A Video Interview
    Fast Company remove preview
    How To Make A Good Impression In A Video Interview
    It's increasingly likely that if you're interviewing for a job in another market or maybe even closer to home, you're going to be sitting behind a computer screen instead of across a hiring manager's desk-at least at first.
    View this on Fast Company >

16 tips for making video interviews come alive
    Socialbrite remove preview
    16 tips for making video interviews come alive
    Target audience: Nonprofits, NGOs, cause organizations, social enterprises, brands, educators, video producers, Web publishers, storytellers, individuals. This is part 2 of a two-part series on video storytelling. Also see part 1: * How to find amazing, powerful stories for your nonprofit video By Lindsay Oberst Socialbrite staff Stories are a great tool, which nonprofits too often don't take advantage of.
    View this on Socialbrite >

Donalda A. McCarthy
    Tweets @MissDonni
    IG @IntlTheatreTeacher

Theatre Education
    Palm Beach Lakes High School
    West Palm Beach, FL, USA