Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Anne Frank cat?

Posted 04-26-2016 05:50
    I'm directing The Diary of Anne Frank in the fall. Wondering for those of you who have done it what you did regarding Peter's cat? I'm not keen on using a real cat as I'm petty sure I couldn't have an animal on school property, as well as I have students with allergies. Any ideas?
    Allison

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Anne Frank cat?

Posted 04-26-2016 07:36

We used a stuffed cat in a basket.  Not sure which version you're doing, but in the version I did, his cat really only appears when we first meet Peter and when we have a scene or two in Peter's room.  My Peter carried the basket and petted the toy--it was such a minor thing, it wasn't an issue.  It actually became a joke--someone in the cast would always "Meow" backstage at least once a rehearsal and during the show--it was always a competition to see who would be Peter's cat.

------------------------------
    Jennifer Miguel
    Franklin VA

• 3.  RE: Anne Frank cat?

Posted 04-26-2016 09:42

Thank you SO much. I was considering using a stuffed one but I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't look cheesy. Thanks for responding :)

Allison Stroud
    Drama Teacher
    Jacksonville FL

• 4.  RE: Anne Frank cat?

Posted 04-27-2016 07:52

Definitely use a plush cat over anything that could remotely look real.  You don't want your audience focused on whether or not you're using a real cat at the expense of their focus on the show itself.

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    Alexandria VA

• 5.  RE: Anne Frank cat?

Posted 04-27-2016 07:59

We didn't even used a stuff one. We first learned he had a cat when Peter arrived in the attic, carrying an old pet carrier that you couldn't really see into. Then in his room, I had Peter set with his back to us until Anne arrived at which time he put his cat back in the carrier.  

The stuffed Toto in Wizard of Oz was a big hit with crowds and provided comedy, but you definitely don't want that levity in Anne Frank. But a "stuffed cat" that was realistic enough would work well. 
    Christina Iman
    Teacher
    Ripley WV