Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Direction - Student Communication

Posted 04-21-2016 15:29

What do you feel is the best way to communicate to your students?  

I've tried:

*Remind101 - I enjoyed this, but our district shut it down and will no longer allow us to use this.

*Facebook - Trying to get everyone to join the private group has proved to be a struggle.  Most students cannot find it and I do not want to add them as friends to help them find it.  

I've seen information on Virtual Callboard, but I am looking for something free.  Thoughts and ideas?

------------------------------
    Trevor Yarbrough
    Troupe Director
    Dyer County High School
    Newbern TN

• 2.  RE: Direction - Student Communication

Posted 04-22-2016 06:35

We use Canvas as our CMS, and we have begun  using that.  It's great because it is private, but parents can become observers on the page, so they can access calendars, forms, announcements, etc.  And you can get text and/or email alerts when things happen on the page.

We used My Big Campus until this year, and we had been starting to use that right before the switch.

The only students I text are my officers because i work so closely with them that I need to be able to get a hold of them more quickly.  

Raymond Palasz
    English/Theatre Faculty; Thespian Troupe Director
    Lake Central High School
    Schererville IN

• 3.  RE: Direction - Student Communication

Posted 04-22-2016 07:02

I'm curious why your school district shut down Remind. I don't like the added feature of being able to communicate with individual students. I wish they had not added that feature, defeats the whole purpose of the app.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 4.  RE: Direction - Student Communication

Posted 04-22-2016 08:03

I had the same question regarding Remind

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 5.  RE: Direction - Student Communication

Posted 04-22-2016 11:26

Thank you all for the quick responses and information.  This is a top priority for next school year.

As for why my district shut Remind101 down, we never received a clear response.  We heard from some in our administration and a few others that it had to do with students changing numbers and the person who received their old number would begin receiving the texts.  Those with the new number receiving the text would complain to our central office.  It seemed a little rushed to just stop it all together, but that's what has happened.  We have a new superintendent coming in next school year, so I hope we will be able to use it again.

Trevor Yarbrough
    Teacher
    Dyer County High School
    Newbern TN

• 6.  RE: Direction - Student Communication

Posted 04-22-2016 07:07
    We use google classroom.  It is a super way to communicate!!

--
    Maria Madonis Palassis
    Oak Hills High School
    Director of Orchestras
    Director of Thespian Troupe 1256 Productions
    Drama Club Advisor
    Vocal Music Teacher: UnCommon Time,
    Concert Choir,Freshmen Ladies Chorus,
    Musical Theatre Ensemble
    Piano Teacher
    Key Club Advisor

• 7.  RE: Direction - Student Communication

Posted 04-22-2016 07:37

I have to second Google Classroom.  It is free, and very easy to learn.  In the past, I was able to create groups on Edmodo as well.  

This year, I had a student stage manager who gathered all of the cast members cell phone numbers and would send out a mass text every evening reminding them of due dates and the next day's rehearsal schedule.  It was a great way to keep everyone on the same page.

Robert Ellis
    North Richmond VA

• 8.  RE: Direction - Student Communication

Posted 04-22-2016 11:09

My student production team also has everyone's numbers and sends out info via mass text. The Assistant Director is responsible for the actors, The Assistant Stage Manager(s) are responsible for techies, and the Stage Manager is responsible for the cast and crew as a whole. We get all of the names and numbers on the first read through for the cast and in the interest meeting (where kids can express their preference for which crew they want to be a part of) for the crew. It's worked really well.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 9.  RE: Direction - Student Communication

Posted 04-22-2016 15:11

I use Celly and Facebook to communicate with students and parents.  We have various groups - Right now we have one for our current show, one for the group going to Nationals, one for all Thespians, etc.

Celly works like Remind.  Our district signed off on it because while I can communicate privately with individual students or parents (as often needs to happen when they need to let me know that they will be late for rehearsal or whatever), it gets catalogued so that if there are ever questions in the future about our conversations, those can be provided.

For Facebook, I created a school Facebook account.  I told my principal about it ahead of time and got permission.  It's in my syllabus and I make it clear that while I don't use it to look at the kids' pages, if I do happen to see something that makes me think they are going to hurt themselves or someone else, or that someone is hurting them, I will report it to the proper authorities (and I have had to do that once).  Then when I create a group, I add everyone in the cast and crew and their parents to it.

Between those two things, we have a pretty good communication system going.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 10.  RE: Direction - Student Communication

Posted 04-23-2016 17:45

Just an FYI on Remind for those that are still allowed to use it. . .you can turn off the individual messaging feature and students won't be able to message you back. Unless there is a way I don't know about, you have to do it from the desktop version. Go to your inbox and click "more" in the upper right hand corner. 

Valerie Boehm