Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Recommended Plays with Vignette Structure

Posted 04-19-2016 09:31

I would like to do a play with a series of vignettes next year and am looking for recommendations. We did Almost, Maine a few years ago to great success. The Good Doctor was recommended to me, but I have mixed feelings about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

• 2.  RE: Recommended Plays with Vignette Structure

Posted 04-19-2016 09:41

Maybe the Dining Room by A. R. Gurney? It's scenes from a dining room in one house over the span of decades. It's written for six with lots of doubling, but could accommodate a much larger cast.

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 3.  RE: Recommended Plays with Vignette Structure

Posted 04-20-2016 09:24

There's Love, Death, & the Prom by Jon Jory.

Love, Death and the Prom

Dramaticpublishing remove preview
    Love, Death and the Prom
    Like Jon Jory's University , these are mini-plays that connect and create a fascinating full evening of theatre. These plays are as real, as hard-hitting, as poignant and as funny as those in University , but in this case they're concerned with lives of people just a little younger.
    View this on Dramaticpublishing >
    Susan Nieten
    Theatre & English Teacher
    Noblesville High School
    @NHSTheatre @mrsnieten

• 4.  RE: Recommended Plays with Vignette Structure

Posted 04-20-2016 09:53

Brother's Grimm Sprecatulathon totally fits the bill. 

• 5.  RE: Recommended Plays with Vignette Structure

Posted 04-20-2016 09:53

Years ago we did "Rowing to America" which had some nice moments. I also recently read "Mutually Assured Destruction" by Don Zolidis and liked it. Each vignette is a scene between two siblings (if I'm remembering correctly). Back in 2008, the Kennedy Center did a presentation of 5 (I believe) short pieces by Marco Ramirez called "Mermaids, Monsters, and the World Painted Purple". It was 6 short plays all on a similar theme. Not all of the short plays are available for production now, but many are. I did a similar production of his shows (replacing a few of the unpublished shows with those that are published) with my middle school group last year and it was great. I highly recommend them, especially if you have a large Hispanic population. I also did "All I Really Need to Know I Learned from being a Zombie" by Jason Pizzarello with my middle school group. It's about zombies, which is a nice hook, but it's surprisingly meaty and definitely worth the read!

Patrick McGuire
    Drama Director
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake, IL

• 6.  RE: Recommended Plays with Vignette Structure

Posted 04-20-2016 14:14

Hi Stacey,

Here are a couple of recommendations for you. Both plays are full-length vignette structure with loosely interconnected scenes (kinda like Almost, Maine):

"Last Day of School" by Ian McWethy (available from Stage Partners)

"Mutually Assured Destruction" by Don Zolidis (available from Playscripts)

Both are funny with heart.

Jason

• 7.  RE: Recommended Plays with Vignette Structure

Posted 04-20-2016 15:36

I've been wanting to do The Baseball Show by Cynthia Mercati for a while now.

Everything I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten is a vignette type show as well.