Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Conflicts with Athletics

Posted 04-19-2016 08:01
    Just want to get some other point of views on my situation.  I have 4 students that are in our show "catch me if you can" that are also in track.  for the past 2 months I have dealt with their track practice's and meets and worked around them.  I have never asked them to skip a meet or a practice.  The only thing that I have expected from them was to honor their commitment to the theatre split your time.
    Now our show opens Thursday and Frank Sr. who is a also in track tells me Monday that he is going to miss our rehearsal for a meet on Tuesday.  I have already explained to the track coach that they will not be able to attend and the other 3 are ok with it, but the one that needs to be there wants to leave.  The kid is a junior and I have already come to the conclusion, do to other issues, I will never cast him in another show. I tried to explain to this student that there are 40 other students who are relying on him to be there.  I would like to here other situations that anyone may of had and how you may have dealt with it.

sorry for the long rant
    thank you for any input

--
    Charles Puetzer
    Math Department
    Stage Manager
    Michigan City High School
    8466 W Pahs Road
    Michigan City, IN 46360
    (219) 873-2044, ext. 4360
    cpuetzer03@mcas.k12.in.us

• 2.  RE: Conflicts with Athletics

Posted 04-19-2016 13:23

This is often a problem, but I try to make very clear during the audition process what the rehearsal schedule will be and when the actors will be required to be there.  They have to list all of their conflicts on their audition form, and if I feel like I can work with it, I cast them, if not I don't.  If they are cast, I have them AND THEIR PARENTS sign a contract detailing the expectations and when they will be required to be at rehearsals. These are non-negotiable. I make it very clear, up front, that if they sign the contract, they are expected to be there (barring illnesses or family emergencies) or they risk being re-cast.  I've found that having these expectations up front have quashed many problems beforehand.  That's not to say that they can't have other activities, but they have to make the play the priority. Some of the most talented actors are talented in many other areas as well, and yes, I am willing to work with a schedule, but I also expect them to stick to their commitments.  

• 3.  RE: Conflicts with Athletics

Posted 04-19-2016 13:31

I also work with the coaches to provide as many opportunities as possible to the kids. It can definitely be frustrating. Do you have an understudy or swing for that role? If you do, and the student misses the rehearsal, I'd move the understudy up into the role and tell the student that he is no longer a member of the cast. I've done it. Make sure you speak to your administration first. They will probably be fielding angry parents over the decision so a heads-up would be appreciated. 

If you don't have an understudy is there someone in the ensemble who you would feel comfortable moving up? I know that's really difficult to do at this point but if you have someone who is willing to work you may end up with a lesser headache by doing so. 

If neither of these options work, and you have to use the kid, don't give him any points for the show. I've had kids lose some of the ITS points they were expecting because of a lack of professionalism, attitude, missed rehearsals, etc. You may be stuck with the situation and since you're already planning on not casting him again there is a limit to your options, unfortunately. 

Out of curiosity, have you spoken to the parents? Sometimes they will help in a situation like this if they're made aware of it.

• 4.  RE: Conflicts with Athletics

Posted 04-21-2016 13:40

As a first year teacher, I wanted to make sure I was playing nice with athletics as they are really big at my school. I spoke with the Athletic Director at the beginning of the year about the sport seasons. I decided to treat my musical as a "winter sport". I held the show the last weekend of the winter sport season and had all cast members who were also playing another winter sport give me their game/meet and practice schedules at the auditions. I worked around these schedules to the best of my ability and spoke with all of the coaches. The coaches seemed to respect this and allowed me to have my cast when I needed them. 

------------------------------
    Arthur Mendini
    Theatre Academy Instructor
    Salem County VoTech,
    AP Schalick High School
    Pittsgrove, NJ

• 5.  RE: Conflicts with Athletics

Posted 04-22-2016 06:44
    Yeah - our track program doesn't schedule anything far in advance. They literally decide two weeks before when meets are. That is a disaster for scheduling. I try to split time with students (ie, you come to me for part time and them part time). It is a struggle. I am clear to outline my expectations. Luckily since shows are a part of my course work, they are required and they get graded. I can hold that over their heads - and also use to explain to coaches...this isn't an extracurricular they are choosing, it is school work. And I say all that to say that for each show, I literally only have about 3-4 days of after school practice...and that still happens. I don't know how people with only after school work do it!

Sent from my iPad

• 6.  RE: Conflicts with Athletics

Posted 04-22-2016 08:27

Flexibility and communication are the keys.  Sports have logistical issues that we don't have (travel, opponent scheduling, weather, etc.).  Make the following points clear to your kids, their parents, and coaches:

- Whatever the kid committed to first gets priority

- While athletes can be in the show, lead roles will go to those that can consistently make rehearsals.  This is especially challenging with boys since so many Drama programs have a disproportionate ratio of boys to girls.

- Offer trade-offs with the coaches: If Mikey can rehearse two days a week, he can practice the sport the rest of the week, etc.

- Due to schedules - especially for individual sports like golf, tennis, and track - the sport will have to take priority.  

- Be willing to sacrifice in the short term for the long term reward.  Example: Amanda is a great singer, but she's also the only girl that can swim a record-breaking butterfly.  So, she won't get the lead in "Millie".  While this means you have a weaker (yet still very good) performer in a lead role, the coaches and administration will LOVE the fact that you are literally "taking one for the team".  I've done many times over the years and it's helped me ten-fold.  Parental involvement, budget increases, and an overall increase in support has helped everyone in the community understand how theatre is a vital component of our school.

------------------------------
    Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN