Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Organizing an all school variety show

Posted 04-18-2016 12:58
    Hello fellow drama enthusiasts!  
    I have been tasked with creating a blue print for a variety show to open our fall 2016 performance season.  Never having done this type of show before, I am hoping to get guidance from those of you with experience. 

1) I need to be able to present a general show format that creates a some what balanced show. (we do not want to end up with a battle of the bands format) Do I generate a call list??? "looking for: singers, dancers, magicians, comedians" ?
    2) I need to create a template for the audition process. 
    3) I also need to create advertisements: for auditions, and to introduce the concept 

Switching from a play format to a variety show format for the fall was suggested as a way to cut costs and actually make money to fund our spring musical.  I understand how to control elements of a play or musical because shows are chosen because I know I can cast and stage them.  Just feeling a bit out of my league here!! All help appreciated!

Julia Jazwiec
    IC Catholic Prep
    Theatre Director

• 2.  RE: Organizing an all school variety show

Posted 04-19-2016 07:51
      |   view attached
    I just closed my school's annual talent show last weekend that began in 1964! Ours is called "Pow Wow" since our mascot is a "Brave."

Attached is the packet of information I give the "hopefuls" long before the audition date. I tweak the packet each year for dates and such, but it is essentially the same one I have used for ten years. Take a look and see if there is anything there you can use. I would be happy to answer additional questions. And, by the way, I spent $115 to get the grand piano tuned, $23 on a few supplies, (yes, 23 dollars) and used stock items and leftover supplies for everything else. It is absolutely the least expensive production every year and brings in a ton of ticket sales. Make sure you get some bigger "groups" in school to participate. (swing choir, jazz band, skit by the Spanish Club, dance routine by the swim team, etc.) Good luck!!!

--
    Ann Hileman, M.A.
    State Chapter Director, Indiana Thespians
    Indiana Thespian Hall of Fame

Maconaquah High School
    256 East 800 South
    Bunker Hill, IN 46914
    765-689-9131 x 5550 (phone)
    765-689-9528 (fax)

Attachment(s)

docx
    POW WOW PACKET 2016.docx   24 KB 1 version

• 3.  RE: Organizing an all school variety show

Posted 04-19-2016 08:09

We have an annual Senior fund-raising event called the Atherton Vaudeville (sic). It is a school-wide talent show organized by the senior class. I always try to get the most unique acts for the event and I find if I emphasis in my theatre classes that we're looking for UNIQUE talent and emphasis the VARIETY aspect we get some great acts and discover the very unique talent we have at our school. 

One year we had: Middle-Eastern rapper, harp player, juggler, conservative Christian belly-dancer, and a Victor Borge impersonator. And the one obligatory rock band.

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 4.  RE: Organizing an all school variety show

Posted 04-19-2016 09:07
    First, have a theme. Red carpet, night at the Oscars, NYC, etc.

Make sure to include in audition form acknowledgement that you are the director and may make changes to their acts as fits the theme or the needs of the event. If your school has an improv team, see if they will do a couple filler sets or act as emcees.
    Put out numbers before auditions. " looking for no more than three bands, four musical numbers, two comics, and a variety of other acts. Thus they know up front o my two bands are getting in.
    Give yourself several days to audition.

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 5.  RE: Organizing an all school variety show

Posted 04-19-2016 09:25

Here are the audition form and guidelines we use. (I hope I can attach them!)

• 6.  RE: Organizing an all school variety show

Posted 04-19-2016 11:46
    School talent shows can be an excellent way to raise funds for the drama department. There are several issues that need to be planned for. It is best to have a variety of acts. Singers, dancers, instrumentalists, ethnic acts are always nice. I had a young man play bagpipes, I have had Indian dancers with full henna tattoos perform, I had a girl in a grass skirt and coconut bra do a Polynesian dance, etc. Most of the issues are with singers who want to perform along with the original artist. I insist that performances of hat sort have no lead vocals on the tracks that they perform with. The flow of the show is important, since I always had students to emcee the event. You want to avoid "down time" so a band act was always at the beginning and after intermission, usually followed by a piano player who would play "down front" to give crew time to strike the band. Additionally, you want to employ [planning in the order of acts to minimize collateral damage from any acts that are less than stellar. Additionally, I drew up a contract to make sure that my students and their parents understood my expectations. I am including it below for your use if you wish to cut and paste, amend, etc. Break a leg, and I hope this is what you were looking for.

Performer Contract

I realize that performing in the Talent Show is a team effort and I will fulfill ALL of the responsibilities delineated below:
    Auditions will take place in a one-week window. NO auditions will be given after that week.

All performers with music must provide a CD with their backing tracks to the sponsor. These CDs are due 5 school days before the performance (i.e., Monday for a Friday performance) These CDs will be retained by technical staff so that they can be previewed prior to the performance for compatibility and appropriateness.

There is a 48 hour deadline before the performance for final approval. Within 48 hours of the performance, there will be NO changes. You will have had ample time to prepare a selection, and under-rehearsed performances are an issue for the show.

A performance like this is an individual piece and should be treated as a showcase. I expect performers to wear something nicer than normal school attire. Attire should be appropriate to the performance and should be approved prior to the show by either the sponsor or School Administration.

It is understood that once performers have auditioned and have been accepted, they will continue to rehearse at home. Facilities are very much in demand at school, and will not be available until the week before the show.

The week before the show each performer is expected to come in at least once to perform in the space so that there are no surprises the night of the show.

The date of the show, all performers need to arrive at least 45 minutes prior to the show.

Failure to comply with any of the guidelines above will result in forfeiture of my opportunity to perform in the Talent Show this year, and could well have a negative impact on auditions for future events.

I have read and agree to the above conditions for performance in the KLMS Talent Show
    (Student signature

I have read and agree to the above stipulations for my child. I will help them to comply with all requirements.
    (Parent signature)

• 7.  RE: Organizing an all school variety show

Posted 04-19-2016 21:32

Our student council does this every spring as their charity fund raiser.  They sell entry tickets for $5.00 each and additional tickets for $2.00. Both the entry tickets and the extra tickets are then used to vote on the best act by placing the tickets in jars for each act. The first, second and third place acts get items/food gift cards to local eateries (Starbucks, Chipotle, etc.) the additional voting tickets generate additional revenue too.

On the organizational side, a small committee of student council officers is chosen and all acts MUST audition EXACTLY as they will perform about a month before the actual show. The auditions allow to check for costume appropriateness, appropriate lyrics and the ability to determine the lineup of acts.  So, if you get fifteen bands, three soloists, a violinist, three dance solos, and a dance group( our girls' soccer team always puts together a dance number) along with a couple faculty singers, dancers or poetry reading you can control the variety by taking the top act in each category(based on individual evaluation sheets filled out by the committee members) and then fill in as needed with the second rating act in each category. You could state up front that there will not be more than two bands chosen(set up for these always takes some time and we do one to star and one right after intermission). 

Also have one or two emcees that can keep the evening going while different acts set up.

Just some general suggestions, I can give some more tips or answer more questions if you want.

• 8.  RE: Organizing an all school variety show

Posted 05-05-2016 07:05

Just a quick question about this.  My concern:  royalty payments?  Is there an allowance for students to perform a song/monologue without paying a royalty/licensing fee?  Of course, with entire short plays (10 min. etc.) I would expect to pay since that is an entire entity presented in its entirety.

Thanks,

------------------------------
    Dorothea Hackett
    DuBois PA