Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Holocaust play

Posted 04-14-2016 09:26

HI,

I am looking for the name of the play that is about a young girl who convinces her parents to hide Jews in their barn during the holocaust. My memory is that it is a one act and that it is a well written one.  Can anybody help jog my memory?  Thank you

------------------------------
    Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT

• 2.  RE: Holocaust play

Posted 04-22-2016 18:26

Are you referring to Diary of Anne Frank?  If so, the family hid the family in the attic.  In 2001 I had a chance to meet Miep Gies, the woman who hid the Frank Family.  Whew!

If you're looking for school-age plays dealing with 'human empathy' topics, I recently learned about a play called In Our Own Backyard about bullying and school violence. 

the play was written directed by Rachel Lopez from Reno, NV. I spoke with Rachel and she's agreed to offer the play "License Free" to middle/high schools and community youth theater orgs through the 2016-2017 school year.

Media coverage was great because of the topic.  It generated great dialogue between students, parents, teachers, administrators and the community. I spoke with one of the cast members and he told me it was transformational for him and other cast members.

As a retired social worker, I see the play as a tool to address the growing school bullying and school violence issues.  Contact Rachel www.inourownbackyardproduction.com or contact Rachel 775-771-8809 / info@inourownbackyardproduction.com.

Larry Sagen
    Bremerton WA

• 3.  RE: Holocaust play

Posted 04-23-2016 08:48

For a one act play try "I Never Saw Another Butterfly" or "The Terezin Promise" both about children in the holocaust.

Trudianne Thom