Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  One Act with mountain feel

Posted 04-10-2016 20:05

Okay, you all seem to have great resources and information...so here we go...

I am looking at directing a dramatic one act play that has an Appalachian or Rocky Mountain vibe to it.  Set in the mountains, options for mountain music and dancing perhaps...but not a musical. I would like a large cast (approximately 20).

Any suggestions?

------------------------------
    John Rutherford
    Rochester Hills MI

• 2.  RE: One Act with mountain feel

Posted 04-11-2016 14:28

Try The Kentucky Cycle by Robert Schenkkan - a collection of ten one-acts set in eastern Kentucky ranging over periods from the French and Indian War to the present.  It's a fine set of pieces, and the entire work adds up to much more than the sum of its parts, but I'm especially fond of the segment titled "Tall Tales" - it works very well out of context from the rest of the cycle.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 3.  RE: One Act with mountain feel

Posted 04-11-2016 15:40

Dark of the Moon

Frank Pruet
    EdTA President
    Atlanta GA

• 4.  RE: One Act with mountain feel

Posted 04-12-2016 21:49
    I have to put my vote in for Dark of the Moon as well. Full houses and standing room only in my experience!
    Jill Campbell
    jkc11@scasd.org
    State College Area High School
    ARTsmART
    (Learning Enrichment/Gifted Support)
    Director State High Thespians

• 5.  RE: One Act with mountain feel

Posted 04-14-2016 14:32

Have you looked at the Jack Tales by  REx Stephenson - several short plays. It definitely has a mountain feel.

Cathy

Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT

• 6.  RE: One Act with mountain feel

Posted 04-13-2016 14:44

So it's more prairie/Dust Bowl than mountain, but I love "The Storm in the Barn" by Eric Coble, an adaptation of the award-winning graphic novel by Matt Phelan, which we published in Dramatics in March 2013 -- and it might have the American roots flavor you're looking for. Potential for large cast, some music, lead role could be played by a boy or tomboyish girl.

Triad Stage in North Carolina has developed several fantastic shows with Appalachian flavor; "Brother Wolf" is a Beowulf adaptation that might be of interest. Not sure who handles rights for those shows and incidental music, but could go to their website and contact AD Preston Lane directly (and tell him I sent ya!).  

Here's another group you might tap for ideas:

https://www.facebook.com/Jack-Tales-Storytelling-Theater-of-the-Smoky-Mountains-87780087360/

You might also look at Nashville Children's Theatre website, see what they've been doing lately. 

Good luck!

Julie

Julie Coppens
    Senior Associate Editor - Dramatics
    Juneau AK

• 7.  RE: One Act with mountain feel

Posted 04-14-2016 14:33

Wiley and the Hairy Man?

Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT