Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Do you use pyro?

Posted 02-23-2014 19:07
    If so, what is your understanding of the legality of doing so in your municipality?

The local company from whom we've regularly acquired our gerbs, etc. has suddenly and unexpectedly closed its doors (Indefinitely?  And, by the way, fodder for so many jokes here, done so due to a fire).

So, in pursuing alternatives online, I was, for the first time, faced with uncomfortable and unanswerable questions, such as "what's the number of your pyro license?"

Does anyone have such a license who can walk me through how to acquire it?  I'm looking to the distant future here--we've taken the responsible road of beefing up the video projection component of our current production to compensate for the absence of the effects we'd planned.  And I'm not seeking to skirt legality here...I never dreamed that, in the past, by buying items designed for theatrical use and using them safely and as directed, that I might be breaking any laws.

Thanks for your input.

-------------------------------------------
    Ryan Moore

• 2.  RE:Do you use pyro?

Posted 02-23-2014 21:03
    I live in Mississippi.  It is illegal to use any pyrotechnics in a middle or high school in our state.  I checked when I was looking for a cool way to transform our Beast in "Beauty and the Beast."   We ended up making due with lighting and fog for our effects.

Chelsea Petty