Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Help needed

Posted 04-05-2016 09:02
    Hi all.  I am  desperately in need of some advice.  I do a full-length show at the end of each semester in my Advanced Drama class.  Usually I let the students have a say in picking the show.  It often gives them more ownership to do this.  I am really struggling with finding the right show for this semester, however. There are 5 boys and 16 girls and their opinions on what they want are all over the place.  I think rather than wanting comedy or drama or childrens' theatre, they just want to all know there's a good part for them.  We had a TON of controversy over the casting for our musical (Long story that I don't want to get into) and there are still some hurt feelings in this group.  And four girls that have all caused problems to varying degrees because they didn't get the lead are in the class.  (Their parents were difficult, too)  I've spent so much energy on this that I'm really just done.  I don't want any more controversy and I don't want any more complaints.  So I need something that is more ensemble based and not just a few leads.  I'm stumped.  As examples of past shows for the class, we've done Our Town and Midsummer Night's Dream, Fame, The LIon, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Almost Maine, and All I really needed to know I learned in Kindergarten.  

I really don't want to do The Crucible and they hated Under Milkwood.  Any suggestions?  And I'm not opposed to Shakespeare, but really don't know what would work with this particular group. 

Amy Neal Bussey

• 2.  RE: Help needed

Posted 04-05-2016 10:56

On another recent thread an Evening of One Acts...themed short plays were suggested.  David Ives It's All In The Timing and some Greek ideas were given along with many one act suggestions.  (I love this Discussion Board!!!)

I am currently looking at doing a few from Timing and adding in Lindsey Price's Betweenity.  If you did a few short or 10 minute type pieces centered around a theme that would allow everyone to have a "good part" - whatever that really means.... and they could have some choice in what they do.

------------------------------
    Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 3.  RE: Help needed

Posted 04-06-2016 10:30

Have you looked at the show "Radium Girls"? Or perhaps do a gender-swapped "Robin Hood"?  You could do "Piece of My Heart" and expand the casting instead of having the central women play multiple roles.  "The Children's Hour" by Lillian Hellman would fit your needs.  Mary Zimmerman's "The Secret in the Wings" would fit as well.   I just finished Don Zolidis's "Monster" which is the story of how Mary Shelley wrote "Frankenstein."  It's a one-act, but very intensive with great ensemble opportunities.  There are incredible opportunities for dramaturgy (as the real story is fascinating!) and do inter-disciplinary connections with English and History.  I'd be happy to share my ideas/our production with you.

Jessica Harms
    Acton-Boxborough Regional High School
    Acton MA

• 4.  RE: Help needed

Posted 04-05-2016 17:07

I can't remember how many females there were... but what about a version of Pride and Prejudice? Or something like An Evening with Edgar Allen Poe or Vintage Hitchcock: A Live Radio Play? They have several small story lines that allow for flexibility in casting.

Otherwise I'd also go with a night of one-acts. Separate the kids into groups and allow them to choose a script that fits the needs of their cast. You can even have the kids take on the direction and you just produce it. We do a variation on this each semester with the Adv kids. It's called a night of Student Directed Shorts. I have an application form for the directors if you want it. Good luck!

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Help needed

Posted 04-06-2016 12:48

Check Please or Check Please 2 (or both!) come to mind.  Or a night of one acts, as Shira suggested.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 6.  RE: Help needed

Posted 04-06-2016 12:48
    Would Laramie Project work? What about Reduced Shakespeare (or any of their scripts)?
    It sounds like an evening of one-acts or scenes may be the best way to go with this group. David Ives has a few scripts that could work (Long Ago and Far Away, All in the Timing), Check, Please is a lot of fun. Or you could study one playwright and do an evening of his/her scenes and monologues (Miller, Williams, Ruhl, Wasserstein, Wilde, etc.). Or choose a theme - we produced The Bully Plays a few years ago and it worked well.
    Best Wishes!