Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  anti-bullying skits

Posted 04-04-2016 13:48

Does anyone know a good resource for anti-bullying skits or short scripts appropriate for 3rd graders. 

------------------------------
    Deborah Kemp
    Tujunga CA

• 2.  RE: anti-bullying skits

Posted 04-05-2016 07:24

From my experience, your students are the best source for a script like this. I had my students write out a story (or tell a story) about a personal experience. Then, in small groups, the students acted these stories out. One of the only rules was that they couldn't use real names. We did a number of these exercises and ended up enough vignettes for a play. I cast each skit (students were not allowed to play themselves), bunched them themes and then wrote loose connective dialogue. The students performed these plays for the entire school and prompted some very powerful discussions. Make sure to include some humorous skits as well. This can also count as a writing exercise :)

Kristie Bach (Retired Theatre Teacher)
    Purple Plays Publishing
    Traverse City, MI
    www.purpleplays.com

• 3.  RE: anti-bullying skits

Posted 04-05-2016 08:38

Hi there,

I teach middle school theatre, and we just performed three anti-bullying/inclusion pieces from Pioneer Drama Service.  The one which might work for third-graders would be "Gran's Guide to Stop an Ogre," by Stephanie Demaree.  It has eighteen characters, some of whom only have two lines or so, and it's a "twisted fairy tale" genre piece lasting twenty minutes.  Minimal set, easy costumes, familiar characters, and audience participation. It did well with our fifth-grade audience, but I think younger children would respond even better.

Having the kids write their own is also very powerful, if you have the time.

Andrea Dewhurst
    Theatre Faculty
    Montgomery AL

• 4.  RE: anti-bullying skits

Posted 04-05-2016 08:48

You can check out some at Plays Magazine - The #1 Source for Scripts and Plays for Young Children Actors

Playsmagazine remove preview
    Plays Magazine - The #1 Source for Scripts and Plays for Young Children Actors
    Plays, The Drama Magazine for Young People offers a wide-range of scripts for children. Now starting our 72nd year, Plays has published exciting, compelling, and fun scripts for kids since 1941.
    View this on Playsmagazine >
    Jessica Harms
    Acton-Boxborough Regional High School
    Acton MA

• 5.  RE: anti-bullying skits

Posted 04-08-2016 12:57

Thank you for these great suggestions. I will check them out.

Deborah Kemp
    Tujunga CA

• 6.  RE: anti-bullying skits

Posted 04-22-2016 18:32

I recently learned about a middle/high school age play about bullying and school violence called "In Our Own Back Yard" by Playwright and Director Rachel Lopez from Reno, NV. It was performed last summer with rave reviews. Rachel has agreed to offer the play "License Free" to middle/high schools and community youth theater orgs through the 2016-2017 school year. The play got rave reviews when it debuted in Reno last summer. It's a powerful show and generated a ton of dialogue with the students, parents, teachers, administrators and the community. One of the students told me it was transformational for him and other cast members.

I realize you're working with younger students.  If you'd like to get Rachel's perspective and thoughts, contact her directly  775-771-8809 or at info@inourownbackyardproduction.com.  This is a topic that is near and dear to her.  her website is http://inourownbackyardproduction.com/

Larry Sagen
    Bremerton WA