Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Roof construction...mess in prop/costume room!

Posted 04-03-2016 10:23
    We are currently undergoing a roof project at my school.  They did their first cut through of the old roof and debris and soot fell all into my prop/costume storage room.  It looks like there was a fire in the room.  The construction company has assured me they will have everything professionally cleaned.  But..after 18 years of gathering, purchasing, making, and receiving family donations of vintage props and costumes, I feel so protective over the space.  I personally have sever asthma and can't stand to be in the room for more than a minute without respiratory issues and my eyes watering.  I can't just "send everything out to be dry cleaned"  as they suggest ... some items won't survive dry cleaning.  Does anyone know a company that will work in New Jersey, that has experience with this type of delicate cleaning?  Any suggestions would be great.  I also think I will need to bill them for any items that don't survive this accident.  Has anyone had a situation like this?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  
    --
    Christine Gatto Dougherty
    Delsea HS Theatre Teacher
    School Play Director
    856.694.0100 x376

"Shimmy to the mic!"

• 2.  RE: Roof construction...mess in prop/costume room!

Posted 04-04-2016 08:07

Hi Christine,

I am sorry to hear about that. That is a nightmare and one that seems to be devastating. I am not totally sure where you are located in NJ, but we have used a company in NJ to rent props from that are great to work with on productions. My guess is that they may have some suggestions for you on how to clean or where to take items to be cleaned (props, furniture, value of piece destroyed, etc.) 

Good Luck with everything. I hope it all works out with you.

Jim

Anything But Costumes | Home

Anythingbutcostumes remove preview
    Anything But Costumes | Home
    With four full warehouses, we have all the props and furniture you need for stage sets or film production sets. We have furniture of all kinds, from all eras and all the dressing you need for interiors: Rugs, lamps, chandeliers, tablewares, linens, knick-knacks, pictures and lots more set accessories as well as hand props.
    View this on Anythingbutcostumes >
    ------------------------------
    James Fry
    Director of Student Life & Malvern Theatre Society
    West Chester PA

• 3.  RE: Roof construction...mess in prop/costume room!

Posted 04-04-2016 10:35

How about vacuuming the delicate costume?  If you put some nylon over the tip it will prevent anything loose from getting sucked into the vacuum. 

I've also had success at home by placing dry rice in a paper bag and shaking the item in the rice.  I've cleaned some of my feathered kachinas that way. 

I'd also advise that you take pictures of everything, although if your storage looks like ours, that's a daunting task!  Maybe have students do it?  Also, on those things your totally worried about, you could get an appraisal, or find them on ebay or etsy and print out the page.  That way, you have a record of value.

I hope you get some satisfaction and you don't lose too many items!

Connie Voight
    Alabama
    Randolph School
    Huntsville AL

• 4.  RE: Roof construction...mess in prop/costume room!

Posted 04-05-2016 08:58

We had an air conditioner installed and when they cut open the roof we got all that debris and then it rained! They were responsible for all the damage. They did higher a cleaning crew. We don't have any irreplaceable items, so I wasn't as concerned, but I was on them about all the cleaning. They had to come back about 3 times until I was happy with the results. They were financially responsible. I also included my AP in all of my concerns, since I use the theater the most and it was my storage rooms that were effected. Yes, take photos. 

Desiree Hill
    Theatre Director
    Fontana CA

• 5.  RE: Roof construction...mess in prop/costume room!

Posted 04-05-2016 12:20

Hi.  This suggestion may come a little late and may require more time that you have but to record the information about your costumes, store photos, print reports of the value of your collection - you can try the Theatre Inventory Database - which I sell.  I realize I am not to promote sales on this site but I wanted to let you know of a tool that could help you collect information to document the collection and present reports to the roofing company.  The software is downloadable from my website and is available for a 30 day free trial.  Please contact me directly if you are interested and I can extend the free trial period to cover the time period you need to catalog the collection and prepare reports.

Margaret Messick

Costume Inventory Resources

margaret@costumeinventory.com

Margaret Messick
    Costume Inventory Resources
    Davis CA