Open Forum

View Only

Meaningful Technology

• 1.  Meaningful Technology

Posted 04-01-2016 09:36

My administration is requiring all teachers to introduce "new" technology into the curriculum. My evaluation is affected by this  The district has drunk the Google Koolaid re technology. (no disrespect intended)  I want to avoid technology for technology's sake, and I have embraced a few of what Google has to offer, (Google Classroom for example) but honestly, while they have made my job slightly easier, nothing I would call meaningful to students.  All the admins can recommend are things that either I already use or glitzy gimmicks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

------------------------------
    Robert DiMartino
    Theatre Teacher
    Cumberland High School
    Slatersville RI

• 2.  RE: Meaningful Technology

Posted 04-01-2016 12:25

We've been feeling this pressure in our District for the past few years.  In my opinion, this is difficult in a performance based live art course.  We've had "professional" educational technology experts come in to "train" us and they had very few viable suggestions.  For my Acting classes they said "you can make a movie".  I said, "yes, I could, but that's not in the curriculum for this class."  "But, you could have kids write the script and...."  "yes, but that would require me to remove something from my current curriculum and then only a very small  portion of the project would be developing/demonstrating Acting skills AND the class is Acting for the Stage."

Since I have fought this as long as I could and am now required to use something, I am using Google Forms and Google Classroom to do a personal Acting Journal.  Things like reflections, peer evaluations, and analysis are digital.  It's only at the Substitution level on the SAMR model, but at least it's something.  You could also use a program like Canva for a Character Board.  

My biggest push back on this whole drive to use technology in every classroom, every situation, for every kid is that we are losing the valuable growth that comes from writing.  There is a place for old fashioned written material.  The paper and pencil variety.  There is mounting research that shows the value to brain development when holding the real deal paper and putting your pen to that page.  I also take issue with the technology being distracting - the minute they access a computer, tablet or a phone they are bombarded with banners, badges and alerts that have nothing to do with what the task that is at hand and pulls their focus off task.  

I am looking forward to seeing other's suggestions!  Thanks in advance!

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 3.  RE: Meaningful Technology

Posted 04-02-2016 06:45

It won't help with acting but I have been tinkering with a website called floorplanner.com for set design and scale modeling. Google sketch-up, if you can figure it out, would be good for that too. There's also an app called ProCreate that would allow students to take a picture of someone and do a makeup design on an iPad. Hope those help. 

Christina Iman
    Teacher
    Ripley WV

• 4.  RE: Meaningful Technology

Posted 04-03-2016 11:13
    I have had the same struggle for years until I finally have had some success with communicating the idea that we use technology everyday in the theater-- the stage, lighting system, sound system sound editing software, saws, drills, space itself, etc.  I think I've made some progress there, but often have to point out in my observation cycle that technology is more than computers.  

One area I have been expanding into lately is Google Docs, which can be a very useful tool for your cast and tech team.  We use them a lot to share research in a Google Folder or to for example take rehearsal attendance on a Google Sheet.  My stage manager shares the attendance sheet with me in Docs, that way she can take attendance on her phone and I can edit the sheet latter for excused absences, etc.  Pintrest is also pretty neat as you can create a board that your cast or tech team can post to and in that way share research with everyone.

• 5.  RE: Meaningful Technology

Posted 04-02-2016 08:05
    I use the Remind app for communications, Virtual Stage Manager, and the virtual resources offered through the Folger Shakespeare library (as needed.) I use StoryCorps.me for an interview project with my Public Speaking classes, (based off their 2015GreatThanksgivingListen pilot project) and plan to use it to have current theatre students interview alums for the 2016-17 season in honor of the 100th anniversary of our name, The Jesuit Philelectic Society. My techs use a lot of technology drawing up plans with our TD on Sketch-up, programming rear projections, researching time periods, etc. I also teach Chorus, but that's easier. There's a ton of music apps out there that can make a nice project in my curriculum, but I will never have them sing from a "glowing screen". We've even had props 3D printed. Think outside the box and beyond the one they're trying to put on you; they want dazzle, you want art. I hate to say it but the less they understand it & the more flashy it seems the better they seem to think it fills the requirement at times. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: Meaningful Technology

Posted 04-04-2016 00:09
    There are also great apps for learning lines. Good tutorials for makeup techniques, and American Theatre Wing has a wonderful series in theatre professions on YouTube. Kahoot is a wonderful tool for reviews. Nearpod can up your game from PowerPoint. Recording performances & using to review & critique can be quite helpful. Also, a fun lesson in finding a song, a painting or dance online that can represent or tell a characters story might be worth a look too. A lesson challenging students to take a text conversation & turning it into a staged dialogue piece or a mime performance could work as well. Recording performance pieces, posting on YouTube & requiring students from other classes to watch & critique. The Globe Theatre in London has a lot of wonderful interactive technology on their website for students. Just a few ideas for you to mull over.

The beauty of theatre is that it's live. But even live theatre utilizes technology & whether we like it or not it's the current focus in classrooms. Since students use it everyday, why not just ask them to think outside the box & come up with ways to use it in drama. They might surprise you.

• 7.  RE: Meaningful Technology

Posted 04-03-2016 03:29

"Technology" can mean a lot of different things.  Are they specifically wanting you to use computers / software ?  Or are there other options?  Show production if filled with technologies that are foreign to most administrators, so don't be afraid to use the tools of modern productions to satisfy their whims.  If they question it - just remind them of the thousands of technology support personnel credited at the ends of most movies - all of these people make a living in the performing arts, and that's just the movie people.  If you add the live productions, theme parks, TV, recording industry, sporting events coverage, and commercial event personnel - it quickly shows that the performing arts industry employs millions of highly-trained creative individuals.

Here is just a small portion of the technology areas that you can teach and/or have your students research and report back to the rest of the class:

Microphones - this can involve actors and techies - learning proper mic technique is important to performers, learning how to block multiple actors so their mics don't create a hollow sound is good to incorporate in directing.  Understanding body mics, floor mics, & overhead mics; manual mixers vs. automatic mixers; feedback suppression; compression vs. gating; omnidirectional vs. directional (cardioid); how mics interact with speakers (overhead clusters, split clusters / arrays, stage monitors, front fills, etc.); how to incorporate mics into costumes, wigs, beards, scenery, & props; how to calculate intermodulation frequencies for wireless transmitters are just a few of the areas to work on.

Dimmers - Learn about Ohms, Watts, Amps, & Volts; electrical safety, different types of plugs and their special wiring; different types of dimmers (forward phase, reverse phase, autotransformers, PWM {aka 'SineWave' dimmers}, salt water, resistors); wire gauges and the voltage loss depending upon length and load; dimmer filters (toroidal chokes); Digital controls (DMX vs network {ACN} vs DALI), Analog controls (0-10V); Analog control consoles vs. Digital control consoles; wired control vs. wireless control.

Rigging - Dead-hung, Counter-weighted {single purchase, double purchase), Hoists (line shaft, counterweight assist, Drum hoists, Chain motors).  Hoist controls - manual, automated, memory control, deadman switches, safety protocols; Rigging Safety; Rigging terminations for wire rope, chain, fiber rope; weight calculations and lift planning; Special Requirements for Flying People Safely (and why this is a really dangerous thing to consider).

Shop Tools - Everything from the lowly hammer and screw-driver up to table saws, lathes, drill presses, 2D & 3D fabrication and modelling, welding, composite structure lay-up.  Manual drafting skills, CAD tools, 3D Scanners, stress analysis, Calculation of Center of Gravity.

PPE & Safety - Many types of PPE for all types of jobs in the theatre (INCLUDING ACTORS!)  - Gloves, Hearing Protection, Fall Protection, Eye Protection, Knee Protection, Foot Protection, Face Masks, Dust Masks, Emergency Eyewash Stations, AED's, First Aid, Chemical Safety, SDS (formerly MSDS), Ladder Safety, Hazard Recognition, Risk Assessment, Hazard Mitigation, Ergonomics (particularly the biomechanics of lifting), repetitive stress injuries, safety protocols, emergency plans, OSHA, NIOSH, NFPA (Fire Codes), NEC (Electrical Codes), ADA, ESA, Building Codes.

Lighting - Physics of Color Separation & Mixing, Diffusion vs Reflection, Different light sources (Lasers, Incandescent, Arc, LED, Plasma, Fluorescent); Brightness (lumens, nits, lux, foot candles, beam angles, ies files) Color Rendering (Ra, Ri, CQ, CIE charts), Lenses and Optics, Fiber Optics, Reflector Design, Color Temperature (Black Body Curve, LED Binning, McAdams Ellipses); Instrument types (Fresnels, Scoops, Ellipsoidals, Cyc Lights, PAR cans, Automated Lights, Strobes), Lamp types, Gobos (fixed and moving), Projection Mapping, Atmospherics (fog, haze, mist), Surfaces (cycs, screens, scrims, flats, floors, costumes), Ultaviolet Effects (sources, paints, dyes), modelling lighting (WYSIWYG, LD Assistant, Vectorworks), Color Calibration for Film & Video.

Stage Machinery - Lifts, Turntables, Wagons, Traps, brakes, casters, tracks, guides.

Costumes - Design, Selection of fabrics and accessories, fabrication (sewing, gluing, welding), color & fabric dyeing, incorporation of safety equipment like fall protection & pads, incorporating wireless microphones and In Ear Monitors, Required use of Fire Retardants.

Fire Protection Systems in Theatres - Sprinklers, Fire Curtains, Smoke Hatches, Alarms, Detectors, Annunciators, Fusible Links (passive, pyrotechnic, resettable / reusable), Portable Fire Extinguishers, Fire Hoses, Fire Alarm Control Panels (FACP), crowd management, evacuation plans, emergency lighting, emergency power, emergency announcements.

This is all 'technology' and all of these areas have degree programs associated with them (engineering, physics, chemistry, human factors, health & safety, fire science, manufacturing, logistics, architecture, acoustics . . .).  Add the Arts - Make STEAM out of STEM.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 8.  RE: Meaningful Technology

Posted 04-04-2016 09:45

We have Ipads with iMovie, and I use them a lot:

• In Voice and Diction, I record everyone's first performance in my class so that they can see/hear what they need to work on vocally, bad habits (fidgeting), etc.  At the end if the year, we watch them again and students can see their own improvement.
    • In Acting classes, we record scenes and monologues.
    • In Directing class, we do a unit on directing for film.  Students learn to use iMovie and to frame shots -- close ups, two shots, over the shoulder shots, establishing shots, etc.  They work in groups to shoot and edit short films.
    • We record solo performances in Musical Theatre.

Bonnie Champion Fraker, MA
    Chair, Department of Theatre
    Northwest School of the Arts
    1415 Beatties Ford Road
    Charlotte, NC  28216
    980-343-5500 - Telephone
    980-343-5593 - Fax
    "Pursuit of excellence in academics and the arts."

• 9.  RE: Meaningful Technology

Posted 04-03-2016 09:50

If your students have iPads or access to their phones, there are a number of free apps that help actors get off book. Some you might check out:  ScenePartner, tableread, Off Book!, Promptoo, StagePlay, Scriptnotes, Sides (free)....

I've yet to use these in the classroom because I still prefer students rehearse with hardcopies of the script (to protect their devices & minimize distractions).

Susan Nieten
    Theatre & English Teacher
    Noblesville High School
    @NHSTheatre @mrsnieten

• 10.  RE: Meaningful Technology

Posted 04-03-2016 18:34

I think Erich hit it pretty much on the nose: technology can mean a lot of things, from tools that are already in use in theatre, to this week's fad app which will be replaced by next week's fad app.

You are in a pretty good geographical area to do some live research into professional and university theatres and see what they're using. Yale has a world-class theatre department, and Brown, Brandeis, UMass at Amherst, and several others have good ones too, and they all train people to work on Broadway and other professional theatres. Then there are the professional theatre, opera, and ballet companies. You may want to contact some of these and see if you can get a tour or a good meeting with them to see what they use and how they use it; they'll more than likely be delighted to talk with you.

There's also the US Institute for Theatre Technology (USITT), which is a fantastic resource. Their web site is at www.usitt.org.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 11.  RE: Meaningful Technology

Posted 04-04-2016 10:07

Hi Robert!

I'm a Google for Education Certified Trainer and Google for Education Certified Innovator, and I'm a theatre teacher, too! So, we should talk, yeah? In fact, I just presented to the Ohio Thespian conference about the "other" tech in theatre. Here are my slides, which may or may not be helpful sans me presenting. You might also be interested in checking out TheatreCast, a podcast run by fellow theatre geek/Google nerd, Nick Cusumano. It's a sorta weekly-ish podcast created for theatre teachers, featuring theatre teachers and artists, with a slight emphasis on tech in the theatre classroom.

Let me know how I can help!

Danielle Filas

Danielle Filas
    Faculty Member
    Village Academy
    Powell OH

• 12.  RE: Meaningful Technology

Posted 04-04-2016 13:18

This is something I constantly struggle with in my classroom.  The county where I teach has a one-to-one computer initiative.  There is a lot of emphasis on using the computers in class, and that's something that I can't use consistently when I'm primarily working on scene performances.  I do a film unit where students make trailers for our school musical, but every year, we are overwhelmed with the struggle to use the editing software (movie maker) because it's so hard to import video.

We do a film study as well as a tech theatre unit, but I don't have the right (working) equipment to really get the students into the technical aspect of theatre like I want.

We are trying to raise money for new wireless mics; we struggle with finding the funds to just keep working lamps in our stage lights, and I am also not allowed to have students go up in our lift to rig or focus lights.

I find that there is a small contingent of students who do get great tech experience; they are the kids who volunteer for tech crew for our musicals and plays. (They design our lights, sound, help build our sets).  They even started a "tech club" to help the school by running sound and lights for events in our auditorium.  But trying to work with large classes on very limited equipment is nearly impossible.  

I have started using GoogleDocs...mostly for original script writing...

I think the larger issue was touched on earlier that computers don't equal technology.  I have a hard time hearing that my school spends thousands of dollars of software but can't budget $500 for stage lamps each year.  

We have a scrappy and resourceful department, and I have come to revel in teaching my kids how to do more with less.  I'm so proud of the skills they are able to garner on a broader spectrum, not just on a screen :)

I feel your struggle, and I but heads with my admin about how I don't use "enough" technology in my class, but I'm ok with that.  I continue to try to implement what I feel is useful and helpful instead of just including computer time to include computer time.

Good luck :)

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 13.  RE: Meaningful Technology

Posted 04-04-2016 15:10

Danielle, thanks for sharing those two resources. I can't wait to read them! :)

And Robert, thanks for the discussion-stoking post.

Susan Nieten
    Theatre & English Teacher
    Noblesville High School
    @NHSTheatre @mrsnieten

• 14.  RE: Meaningful Technology

Posted 04-05-2016 08:47

I have my students download The Amazing Improv Generator app into their iphone/android devices and we use that to come up with ideas for skits & stories whenever we have a few moments of "downtime." My admin and students love it!

Matt Ludlam
    Instructor
    Flower Mound TX

• 15.  RE: Meaningful Technology

Posted 04-28-2016 12:09

Hi;

I'm posting this to try to revitalize this discussion.  Many of your suggestions have been helpful in that, for the most part, I'm doing things that my colleagues in the profession are also doing.  Some answers don't really apply because my classes are not tied to productions and most of the students I have have never been in, nor want to be in a play.  My Intro class focuses on learning to improvise, collaborate and create.  The students actually don't do any acting until late in the semester. (It's a semester class)  I have found Google Classroom to be extremely helpful, but I would like to know what else is out there for my situation.

Any more Ideas?

Thanks;

Bob

Robert DiMartino
    Theatre Teacher
    Cumberland High School
    Slatersville RI

• 16.  RE: Meaningful Technology

Posted 04-28-2016 13:09

I use google docs to have students write scripts together. I like that I can see who wrote what so that there is much more of a group dynamic. I show them the history of their script and that I can see who is writing and who is erasing and who is doing nothing and I find that they learn a lot about group work and how to work as a group. 

Sarah Mahoney
    Theatre Teacher
    Lower Canada College
    Montreal QC

• 17.  RE: Meaningful Technology

Posted 04-30-2016 08:04

We just gave all of our students laptops, so they want to see students using laptops a lot....

So, what I have started doing a good bit is using Kahoot! almost as a substitute for powerpoint when introducing new material that I would normally have them take notes on. 

I tell them that they aren't expected to know the answers - but after each question, I use that as a moment to explain WHY the answer is the correct answer, etc. 

Do I think it is the best thing ever?  No.  But if someone walks in and observes me, they see students using technology.

I've used the Smart Board for improv before.  Actually I use the Smart Boards "random group generator" all the time to select groups for every project, or to select a random student to do something in class.  I have the students push the button to randomized so that they are "using" the technology (I hear this counts). 

Oh - one good thing I did this year is that, when we first started the Lion King Jr., students had to create a power point all about their character (I gave them a specific outline of questions/material they had to cover on each slide).  Then they had to present to the class.  They had to do things like "Play/insert a song that represents your character that is NOT a Lion King song".  That was an awesome assignment.

I also have gone to a digital makeup morgue for their makeup unit. 

Jennifer Simmons
    Lexington SC

• 18.  RE: Meaningful Technology

Posted 04-30-2016 14:02

I have my advanced acting students prepare a presentation on a major theatre theorist. They research and then present a power-point lecture. I emphasize not to read the slides to the class, give more information.

The advanced class also writes a 10-minute play and they use Google Docs for storage and ease of access at school.

Stagecraft class learns how to use Google Sketch-Up. Our state has a statewide license for the application and I have it on all the library computers.

We are going to connect our ETC light board to a router and use the phone/iPad app to control lights when doing tech.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY