Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Grants

Posted 03-31-2016 09:55
    •Any recommendations for theatre grants for non-profit community theatre groups?
    Thanks,
    Anna

• 2.  RE: Grants

Posted 04-01-2016 10:34

Have you tried your local and state arts councils?  You can sign up for GrantWatch and they'll send you notifications about new grants and funding sources.  I've found that to be very helpful, and enlightening!  Good luck!

Connie Voight

Theatre Director, Randolph School

4915 Garth Road

Huntsville, AL 35802

• 3.  RE: Grants

Posted 04-06-2016 09:39

Thank you, Connie!

------------------------------
    Anna Hentz
    Teacher/Director
    Doylestown PA

• 4.  RE: Grants

Posted 04-12-2016 13:33

Is it a stand-alone theatre community group, or attached to a school?

Sometimes schools have School Advisory Committees, whose general purpose is to allocate funds based on requests by teachers for stuff that will enhance learning or improve the academic environment for learning. In my school, I just got nearly $1,000 to buy many, many scripts from which my classes will be pulling scenes from to perform as part of instruction. Other valid uses of the SAC could be if I wanted to obtain some extra lighting, or other technical elements (improves the student morale of the school, leading to academic environment).

Have you searched around for Community Foundations? In our area, there is a community foundation who I try to apply for grants at least every other year (as in, out of three years, I have applied two times, and been awarded with two separate grants, one to run a theatre camp, and one to purchase a really awesome tech theatre curriculum). Usually Community foundations are looking to support projects that benefit the community; the research supporting the positive benefits in a quantifiable sense (i.e. a way that grand givers need to be able to see the project, as what a community will gain from funding your project) is fairly well-documented (look around the EdTA site for articles and documents that support theatre impact on communities).

Good luck!

------------------------------
    Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL