Open Forum

View Only

mics

• 1.  mics

Posted 03-30-2016 12:26

We need to purchase wireless headset mics for our next production, and need a recommendation for a sturdy, longer lasting mic for high school productions.

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Tracy Olsen
    Drama Teacher
    Rim of the World Unified School District
    Lake Arrowhead CA

• 2.  RE: mics

Posted 03-31-2016 01:04

I suggest that you search the forums for keywords 'wireless', 'wireless mic', 'wireless microphones'.  There is a lot of good information here.

I just came from the 2016 USITT convention and saw some new headset mics by dpa (www.dpamicrophones.com) and PointSource (www.point-sourceaudio.com), both of which have good gear.

As with most things, you have to know how to use it and how to take care of it, so the Mic University micro-site at dpa is a real good learning tool with audio/video example showing the differences in sound quality between different types of mics and how they are worn.  Suitable for your students to learn from, too.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 3.  RE: mics

Posted 03-31-2016 10:35

I agree with Erich, and will add this: If you have a sound company near you, use them!  Ordering from the 'net is great, but having a human being that you can call to come to your sight and fix a problem is beyond value.  I am fortunate to have a soundco near me, and I have a 30 year relationship with them.  When I have a question, I call or go see them, or have them come to me.

As for mics, I have Shure ULX systems, and have been buying either Galaxy Audio earset mics (about $200, dual hook, nice sound, fairly rugged) or my new find, Pyle Pro PMEM earsets ($15, nice sound, single hook, fairly rugged).

Richard Shultz
    Derby KS

• 4.  RE: mics

Posted 03-31-2016 19:49
    I would recommend Point Source. They are pretty sturdy and some models are waterproof.

Jim Davis
    Technical Director
    Detroit Country Day School

• 5.  RE: mics

Posted 03-31-2016 23:16

Hi,

I had a terrific experience with Bodymics.com  I met Rod at the EdTA Conference last fall.  He is great to work with. 

http://www.bodymics.com/

Good luck,

Russ

Russell Saxton
    Drama Teacher
    Washington County School District
    St George UT

• 6.  RE: mics

Posted 04-01-2016 08:09

Thanks Russ.

Was about to toot my own horn but ....

Bodymics has the largest range of headworn (single and dual ear) and lavalier/hair/face/wig microphones outside of Countryman and dpa, but at an average price of $40-80.  We have them for most systems.  

We are also dealers for all the major wireless system manufacturers including Audio-Technica, Shure, Sennheiser.  We will rack up you systems with antenna distribution systems, mic storage etc in any style of case you prefer - portable, permanent, tour ready!

Watch out for our new 8 receivers in a single 1u case - this is not a Vocopro style system, but a truly professional unit with diversity antenna system, balanced XLR outs, frequency auto scan, IR transmitter set, mettering - RF, AF, battery, antenna status.  Quality is equal to a Sennheiser ew100, AT3000 or Shure SLX at substantially lower acquisition cost  - around $300 per channel including body-pack transmitter (no mics - select to taste).  The preproduction prototype is in my hands and works as specified, first production run should in the US in 8-10 weeks. 

In a perfect world I would use lectronsonic systems with dpa or countryman microphones, but who has $5-$10,000 per channel to invest.  This is why I sort out quality alternatives to bring to market.

Feel free to contact me at anytime (I will usually answer my phone anytime upto 10pm EST (7pm for those on the West Coast, 8pm Mountain and 9pm Central)

Thanks

Rod Reilly
    Somerset NJ

• 7.  RE: mics

Posted 04-01-2016 14:10

We have purchased mics but when we went to purchase more, we were encouraged to rent because mics/technology changes so quickly and parts often hard to get. So we started renting from  a local company and they charged half price for schools. We thought that was a pretty sweet deal! We often rented up to a dozen mics. Over 2-3 yrs I built up a relationship with them and for the past several years they have DONATED the rental mics - they only charge a $75 delivery/pick up fee. They know we're a bare bones budget, they support the Arts, plus it's a write-off for them! I was so thrilled to be able to pass this perk on after I retired! 

Going this route is certainly something to check in to. You never know unless you ask! 

Connie Sandoz
    Theatre Director, Retired
    Henderson NV

• 8.  RE: mics

Posted 04-01-2016 18:18

If you stick to reputable brands the pats re usually readily available for at least a few years after the line is retired.  That being said you should not expect more than 5-7 years life from any wireless system due to a number of factors - degrading performance as components lose tolerance, FCC rule changes, the number of channels you need and the conflicts with your existing systems.

As a system renter bodymics.rentals I endorse the practice of renting if you have limited budgets, varying needs from one show to the next, or you do just 1 or 2 shows per year.

A good 12 channel system will cost from $4,000 to $10,000 or more.  The same system will rent for between $400 and $1,000 per week.  If you do 2 shows each for 10 days rental including tech, then you will spend about 20% of the capital = 5 years worth of use vs. capital expenditure with the advantage that you only other expense is dmages incurred during the rental.  No costs from iinstallation, storage, damage from people playing, lost components because they didn't get put away at the end of the production, no risk of theft (or insurance) and best of all you can get more or less channels for each show and someone else has to worry about if they will all play nice together.

Rod Reilly
    Somerset NJ

• 9.  RE: mics

Posted 04-03-2016 03:39

A side note:  If you are using wireless mics, getting the transmitters into and out of the costumes can be a challenge sometimes, so take a look at this:  www.wirelessmicbelts.com

Also, if you install the wireless mic transmitters into the costumes and the devices has an antenna wire that dangles from it, be sure to check that the antenna wire is not all wadded-up -- they need to be extended in a fairly straight line to work properly.  When the transmitters get shoved into a pocket or quickly jammed into someone's pants, the antenna cable can get bunched-up.  This places stress on the point where the antenna cable enters the transmitter body, too, which can damage the cable in a manner that is not visible.  This is also a problem when the transmitter is jammed into a baggie or condom to protect it from sweat.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 10.  RE: mics

Posted 04-04-2016 09:17

Erich is correct - pockets and belts for transmitter packs saves lots of damaged transmitters and many times more damaged cables caused by the stretching that occurs when the pack falls and the mic stays attached.

While we have no where near as many variants as Erich's preferred vendor, we do make belts in 2 lengths and 2 colors (no white_ just black and taupe.  http://www.bodymics.com/storage.html These start as low as $16 each in quantity (25) - about $20 each in singles, $57/3 pack, $180/10 pack, $400 in 25 packs.  We can mix and match sizes and colors in any pack and still give you the pack price, but you will have to contact us directly.  The standard single color, single size packs can be ordered on line or by contacting me.

Our belts firmly hold all normal size bodypack transmitters from "all" manufacturers.  The mini packs from Lectrosonic and Shure (and others are not recommended for use with these.

Remember Erich's advice - make sure the antenna is unencumbered and runs vertically rather than horizontally.

Rod Reilly
    Owner, Bodymics
    908-899-1277
    Somerset NJ

• 11.  RE: mics

Posted 04-06-2016 00:04

Rod Reilly wrote: ". . . make sure the antenna . . . runs vertically rather than horizontally."

This is not entirely true.  For optimal reception of the radio signals from the microphone transmitters it is suggested that the two diversity antennas be oriented orthogonally to each-other (See?  Geometry class applies to theatre!) and the plane of the orthoganality is perpendicular to the performer's transmitters (i.e. tilt the set of receiver antennas so they are aimed at about waist high near mid-stage).

This means that if you have two whip antennas (omni-directional types) (http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=987) and you are standing on the stage looking at them they form a separated 'V':   ╲⃔          ⃕╱   where the two lines appear perpendicular to each other (i.e. splayed ±45° from vertical or 90° between them).

Similarly, if you have two directional antennas (log-periodic antennas, sometimes incorrectly called 'yagi antennas')(these antennas usually look like flat trapezoids  - Dang! There goes that geometry class again!) (http://en-us.sennheiser.com/a-2003-uhf) where the narrow end of the paddle is pointed towards the performer's waist near mid-stage, then the performer sees:   ╲⃔          ⃕╱   where the two lines appear perpendicular to each other (i.e. the front edge of the paddle that is visible is splayed ±45° from vertical or 90° between them).  (Cavaet:  The exception to this rule is the Sennheiser paddle-shaped omni-directional antennas (http://en-us.sennheiser.com/a-1031-u) -- which should be set-up with the flat side facing the performers - perpendicular to them and then tilted apart ±45° (i.e. 90° between them) - it looks like a pair of tall skinny playing cards that are tilted one left, and one right.)

What this does is create Phase Diversity.  As performers move around, hold hand-held mics in different positions, or if an actor lies down or leans at an angle, the odds are that one of the two antennas will get a radio signal that is oriented near the same direction.  If both antennas are mounted vertically, then each has a good chance of receiving a signal transmitted from the performer with the vertical antenna, and both have a bad chance of receiving a signal from the performer with a horizontal antenna.

Why do I mention this (other than to drive every one nuts)?  Sometimes it is more convenient to place an antenna horizontally or diagonally than it is to place it vertically.  This is costume specific.

Another example is in a musical performance where you have a performer with a wireless instrument mic (i.e. a guitar player).  If the guitar strap is diagonal across their back, and the transmitter / antenna is attached to it, then when they face the receiver antennas the transmitter antenna is aligned with one of the receiver antennas and orthogonal (i.e.a bad match) to the other receiver antenna; yet when the performer turns around and faces upstage, then the transmitter antenna is now aligned with the other receiver antenna and orthogonal (i.e. bad match) to the first.  This way there is always one receiver antenna with a better signal and the other receiver antenna with a 'not so good' signal.

Similarly, if you have performers holding handheld wireless mics, they typically hold them at about a 45° angle to the ground.  If they turn right, then one of the receiver antennas gets them, and if they turn left, the other receiver antenna gets them.

Of course, there is never a silver bullet with wireless mics - there are too many variables.

Basic things that will help are:

• Always use fresh batteries for a performance (never trust a used battery - Don't ruin a performance for the sake of a few dollars worth of batteries).
    • Space your diversity antennas apart (10-15' is recommended - the 18" of a rack mount doesn't really provide the spatial diversity needed)
    • Splay your antennas for phase diversity (see above).
    • Don't mount your antennas inside a metal rack.
    • Don't mount your antennas on the face of a rack panel in the receiver rack (despite of the fact that wireless mic manufacturers put holes there and tell you 'everything is going to be OK").
    • Don't mount a bunch of antennas next to each other and create an "antenna farm".  Antennas need to be 12-24" away from any other metal objects to do their job best.  'Other metal objects' includes metal wall studs (hidden inside sheet rock walls), conduits (hidden inside walls), plumbing pipes (hidden inside walls), steel rebar rods (hidden inside concrete walls), ceiling tile grids, aluminum or steel window frames, stage rigging battens, handrails, steel equipment racks, etc.  If you have more than one wireless mic, then buy an antenna splitter (or more than one for larger set-ups) and just use one pair of antennas to feed all of the receivers.  You will need separate antennas and splitters for VHF, UHF, 900 MHz, and 2.4GHz band systems.  All of these frequency bands are becoming more common and are sometimes intermixed just to to get enough open frequencies that will work together without interference from other local radio signals.  Don't forget that there may be wireless mics in classrooms, gymnasiums, dance studios, football stadium, and maybe a nearby church, so you have to coordinate all of these frequencies if there is a chance that they might be used at the same time you are rehearsing or presenting a show.
    • Mount your antennas high enough that they can have a direct line of sight between the transmitter antennas and the receiver antennas.  Humans are 98% water and they absorb Radio Frequency energy  A LOT.  The more bodies between the transmit and receive antennas, the less radio signal that will make it to your receivers.
    • Check to see that all of your transmitters are set to a similar range of transmit power (25mW, 100mW, 250mW, etc.).  If a few of them are set to a high transmit power and the others set to a lower transmit power, then it may make it difficult for your receivers to pick-out the correct signal information and provide good sound.  Generally speaking, more power is not better.  Unless you are in a football stadium and hundreds of feet away from the transmitter, there is little reason to "crank it to 11" with the RF power.
    • Use the commonly available frequency selection tools to find a set of coordinated frequencies for your wireless devices.  Regardless of if you have 3 or 30 devices, if you have even one device that it is not coordinated, then you run the risk of numerous other channels misbehaving.  ALL of your devices must be frequency coordinated as a set.  If a new performer brings their own wireless transmitter / receiver for a guitar or saxophone, then this one item could mess-up your whole show unless you have it entered as one of the devices in the calculation of a set of coordinated frequencies.

Final Note:  Be aware that the FCC has just agreed to auction-off the 600MHz-700MHz frequency band over the next couple of years.  Just like they did with the 700-800 MHz band a couple of years ago.  You need to check the operating frequencies of your equipment and start to budget for replacements before the hammer comes down.  Be VERY wary of salesmen trying to offer you "good deals" on wireless mics and IEM systems - Triple-check and get it in writing that the equipment does not operate in the 600 to 800MHz bands - as there are unscrupulous people out there that are going to be dumping this gear at bargain-basement prices.

Some products can have the transmit / receive frequency changed by the user, some can be done by the factory, and some cannot be changed.  Donate unusable equipment to foreign missionaries (let the frequencies be their problem in whatever country they are traveling to) or dispose of them at an appropriate electronics recycling depot.  Think Green and don't just dump it in the dumpster.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems