Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Female Lead Moliere-Type Play?

Posted 03-29-2016 06:32

Hi all!

I am looking for a show for my contest piece next year.  We have 40 minutes to set up, perform, and strike.  I am open to doing a cutting from a full-length.

However, my kids are asking for another Shakespeare piece (we did As You Like It last year).  But rather than do the Bard again, I thought about perhaps something from Moliere.  What I am finding, though, is that there are not many shows that I'm seeing that feature good roles for women?  I did Tartuffe about 10 years ago, and I'm not opposed to doing that again.  But I thought I would ask this group for suggestions.  

I am sure there is something out there that I just am overlooking.

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Raymond Palasz
    English/Theatre Faculty; Thespian Troupe Director
    Lake Central High School
    Schererville IN

• 2.  RE: Female Lead Moliere-Type Play?

Posted 03-30-2016 06:34
    Sganarelle is a great Moliere one act.

Sent from my iPad

• 3.  RE: Female Lead Moliere-Type Play?

Posted 03-30-2016 08:22

What about The Imaginary Invalid? The lead is male, but some fun secondary female parts and lots of physical comedy.

Kristie Bach (Retired Theatre Teacher)
    Purple Plays Publishing
    Traverse City, MI
    www.purpleplays.com

• 4.  RE: Female Lead Moliere-Type Play?

Posted 03-30-2016 09:33

"The Madwoman of Chaillot" comes to mind as a strong female lead, French-inspired. Plus a timely message of environmentalism.

Lisa Houston
    Pennington NJ

• 5.  RE: Female Lead Moliere-Type Play?

Posted 03-30-2016 11:07

Hi Raymond!

Great question. Probably the major reason that the lead character of Moliere's plays was almost always male is because he endeavored to take on the most challenging roles for himself. (Likewise, he knew exactly which actors he was writing for, and wrote to their talents.)

That said, there are lots of terrific female roles out there in these plays, and it also so-happens, that I have done 40-minute cuttings of these (most available from Playscripts). 

Some of the most dominant/memorable female roles are in "The Misanthrope" (Celemine, Elliante and Arsinoe), "The Learned Ladies" (Armande, Henriette, Philamente, Belise and Martine), and "The Precious Young Maidens" (Magdelon and Cathos). "The School for Husbands" is also a nice variation of the "School for Wives" theme, with a stronger central female character (Isabelle). (Her sister, Leonor, is also a bold character.)

Please let me know if I can help you with these.

Tim Mooney

http://moliere-in-english.com/

Tim Mooney
    Prospect Heights IL

• 6.  RE: Female Lead Moliere-Type Play?

Posted 03-30-2016 13:21

We did a version of "The Learned Ladies" for our competition (45 minute limit) a few years ago. I did the translation from the French and then created a shortened prose adaptation from there. Our break down was 5 female roles, 5 male roles, and then 2 or 3 very small flexible roles. We were still building our program at the time so the script was designed around having much stronger women than men. I'm happy to send it to you if I can find the file. Just let me know if you're interested.

The other Moliere that I love but hasn't been mentioned yet is "The Amorous Quarrel" which has a lot of roles for women. I don't think there's a short version of it, but who knows?

Meg O'Connor
    Alexandria VA

• 7.  RE: Female Lead Moliere-Type Play?

Posted 03-30-2016 23:07

Lysistrata? 

Connie Voight
    Alabama
    Randolph School
    Huntsville AL