Open Forum

View Only

Student input on season selection

• 1.  Student input on season selection

Posted 03-24-2016 12:41

Need your wisdom and experience.   I have been  lucky enough to step into a well-established program after a a director who ran it for nearly 30 years.  While I have the utmost respect for her as a director, teacher and person, I think there are some positive changes that need to be made as we move forward.  One of these is in the area of show selection.  How much input do your students have about what the shows will be for the coming season?  And if they have input, how do you solicit it, and to what extent does it drive the decision?  FYI, this is an extracurricular program, and I do not teach at the school during the day.  In the past they have had a student drama board which has picked the shows (two mainstage and two blackbox productions).  Thanks for sharing any insights! 

------------------------------
    Monica Williams-Mitchell
    Cincinnati OH

• 2.  RE: Student input on season selection

Posted 03-24-2016 12:54

So far, whenever I have listened to students begging to do certain shows, when I have elected to do them (more through a combination of having the right kids come along, and for the relative educational and/or entertainment benefit of doing the show in question), every student who begged for that show didn't get past the first week of rehearsals before dropping out or never even auditioned (about 5 kids total in 3 years). So any unsolicited calls for certain plays, I kind of hear it, and if it happens to be something that fits, I'll do it, and not really be bothered anymore if the originator declines to be involved in their own suggestion.

High schoolers are weird. Love 'em.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 3.  RE: Student input on season selection

Posted 03-24-2016 12:57

That said, (pressed send too early!) a panel of students being given a selection to choose from could work out fairly well, as others have shared in responses to similar questions. This means you are still selecting the shows for them to choose from, so there is a little more control for you to exhibit, though if they choose the play you're really not keen to do (or just not the one you really, really want to do), you still have to go through with it and honor their choice.

Getting ready for a marathon run of reading in the next two weeks as I devour a grant-requested stack of new theatre scripts!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 4.  RE: Student input on season selection

Posted 03-24-2016 13:07

Last year I set up a Play Reading Committee. It was made up of my most devoted students. I gave each of them copies of the plays I was considereing, 8 at the time, and asked them to read them and make suggestions. I didn't think they would follow thru but I had to ask them to put them away in class, they were so engrossed in reading them. They chose The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde and 1984. We did J&H but I droppped 1984, I just couldn't face it! But the students were totally dedicated to the project and had excellent ideas about alternate plays after reading the ones I had chosen.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 5.  RE: Student input on season selection

Posted 03-24-2016 16:25

I too tried the Student Play Selection Committee.  I used a play submission form, but didn't limit choices.  Although I gave the specific guidelines I use when selecting a show.  It seemed like a good idea at the time...

I think it's like anything, sometimes it's good... sometimes it's a learning experience - for me. 

It wasn't until we got to the discussion portion of the selection process that it became clear their motive in selecting a play was that it had enough parts that everyone on the committee that wanted one would get one.  They were so invested in their mission that they didn't see that it would be virtually impossible in our situation to put together a show in 6 weeks with a major detailed set and 3 different accents.  We finally negotiated to do their show in the fall - with a 10 week production schedule.  It'll be fine, but I'm now stuck doing a show I have very little interest in for reasons I really don't support.

If I were going to do this again in the future, I would definitely give them a pre selected list to choose from.  I know it's different in different situations, so you'll have to do what works for you. 

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 6.  RE: Student input on season selection

Posted 03-25-2016 09:11

I ask my students to give me a box of criteria for our shows, and then I choose from within that box.  I just finished the process of asking my students for criteria, and here is what they came up with...

-Musical: large cast, dance-heavy (tap a major plus), family-friendly, well-known classic (this year we did "Into the Woods;" shows I am thinking of that fit this description are "Anything Goes," "42nd Street," "Guys and Dolls")

-Play: a non-comedy based on famous literature or moment in history (shows I am thinking of that fit this description are "Anne Frank," "Radium Girls," "Frankenstein")

-One-act: an ensemble drama that has a more conceptual artistic vision than realism (this one is trickier because it is so vague)

To start this conversation with my students, I ask questions like...

-What would you like to learn next year? (they said tap dancing)

-What areas in our program could we strengthen by challenging ourselves? (they said dramaturgy)

I find that this process helps point me in the right direction, and they still feel listened to.  From here, I have the power to choose and no one is disappointed that their show isn't picked. When our student board comes up with the box of criteria for each show, I ask them to give me a few examples.  This is the time they get to throw a few titles at me, but I frame the question in a way that they know the titles are examples.  In the past, I've had students want to learn stage combat so we did "Treasure Island," and students wanted a dark, horror piece so we did Don Zolidis's "Monster." 

I found this to be a happy medium, and always feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Jessica Harms
    Acton-Boxborough Regional High School
    Acton MA

• 7.  RE: Student input on season selection

Posted 03-24-2016 18:38

I ran into a similar situation when I took over the the program I did a few years ago. All of the shows the previous director did were either written before 1970 or based in a time before that decade.

I offer the students a chance to have serious input on the plays, not the musical (because the musical is a multi-department show).

In February I tell the kids to offer titles, I usually get between 3 and 5 suggestions, the rest of my list I work off of is based on plays I would like to do.

In March I start narrowing down a list (this year got big but when I got it down to 30 plays I presented the list to the students with cast size and basic information). The kids could give some basic feedback.  There isn't a vote so much as informal conversations and a chance for the students to give input.  From that input I narrow down to about 15.

Then the week before the final show I sit down with all current Thespians and we go through list. Students can vote for up to three shows and I tally the results.  I don't share the final vote because I simply use it as a guide and the students know that. The highest vote getter may or not be picked because we try to put together a season and not just the show for the sake of the show. Ultimately, that is the balance, you have to want to do the show and so do the students. I use the students as a guide but in the end, I have the final say, which does help.

The students have a voice, but not full choice.

Alan Strait
    Teacher
    CCSD
    Henderson NV

• 8.  RE: Student input on season selection

Posted 03-25-2016 08:41

My committee chose from a list of plays I had selected. I tell my students that the first criteria is "can Mr. Perry live with it for 6-8 weeks." I have to like it enough to produce it. They understand that and they understand the talent pool and tech requirements when choosing. I always have tech students on the committee, too.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 9.  RE: Student input on season selection

Posted 03-25-2016 07:36

Hi, I have a student elected Governing Board. They have to go through a rigorous process to be elected by their peers. I meet with them at the end of the school year (before summer hits) and tell them my goals for the upcoming school year including the kinds of shows I'm interested in doing. We make plans to meet in August before the school year begins. Throughout the summer me and the Governing Board read shows- share them with each other, etc. About 2 weeks before we meet I check in with them to see if any plays are going to be brought to the table. If any of them feel very strongly about certain shows we all read them. When we come together in August we discuss each show- the pros and cons of it, how it will effect our company, whether or not out audiences would want to see it- everything. In my experience if a student is pushing for a show for self-serving reasons it doesn't make it through.

(Example: "I just love Hairspray and think that it would be the perfect show for us." Note: the young lady who said this is heavy set and a strong singer. The only one we have. We also only have about 4 African American students in our program, meaning Hairspray would be difficult to do but really great for her because she would be an obvious Tracy. She tried 3 times, the show never made it through.)

The only shows that get selected outside of Governing Board are our Competition One Act, and a partnership musical we do with a school in another country. In One Act instance I narrow myself down to 2 and ask which one they are more excited about. In the case of the partnership show the adult staff narrow our choices down to 2 and then go to our students to see which one they are more excited about. Next year we are doing a musical on our own in the winter and we narrowed down our choices in a Musical Theatre class. The students were divided into groups and assigned musicals by the vocal coach and I, researched them based off of our criteria, and then made a presentation. After which the class discussed the shows openly and we narrowed it down to the top 2 choices. Governing Board will discuss them this summer and make a selection.

I agree with the sentiments of some of your other responders: without structure students will arbitrarily pick whatever it is they really like. Turn it into an educational opportunity: How, as  director; do you pick shows? What do you consider? What components are involved? Why? Teach them to see big picture as opposed to simply themselves in a show. We are, after all; educators. Teaching them the process is essential. They are going to be adults very soon, and some of them will be adults working in the field of theatre. They should understand the very basics of show selection at the very least.

So, for example these are the criteria they have for next school year:

In the fall we are aiming for a family friendly holiday show.

Winter Musical: They are either doing Little Shop of Horrors or Putnam County Spelling Bee (as narrowed by the Musical Theatre Class).

Spring Show: Something dramatic with educational value.

Partnership Show (will be auditioned for next January): Legally Blonde, Urinetown, or Chicago.

So students will read and select our fall and spring show for next year and argue the merits of the musicals in order to help make a selection.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions about how Governing Board is selected or how we teach show selection- please let me know.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Chapter Director - VA EdTA/ Virginia Thespians
    Theatre Director- Fine & Performing Arts Department NKHS
    Artistic Director - NKHS Trojan Theatre
    Artistic Director - Kent England Exchange Production
    Virginia Commonwealth University BFA Theatre Education, BFA Art Education '08
    University of Houston - MA in Theatre Candidate '16

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art." - Konstantin Stanislavski

• 10.  RE: Student input on season selection

Posted 03-25-2016 08:26
    I am always open to suggestions from the students. I consider them. However, the kids,don't have access to the budget. Is it a big cast or small? Is the set big or small? How about costumes?
    I always pick musical with my teacher cohorts. Collaboratively. I pick everything else from there. Book ending musical is a classical and a contemporary, a comedy and a drama. This year I picked a show they had never heard of, David and Lisa, which they are loving. They never would have chosen the on their own.
    It's your program now. You have to run it the best way for you. It's gonna hurt, but it will be worth it.

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 11.  RE: Student input on season selection

Posted 03-25-2016 08:59

Hello,

In eleven years, I have always chosen our musical and play.  I tell the kids that I am always open to suggestions, and sometimes they are able to suggest some good titles.  However, I feel that in my situation, if I allowed a small group of students to have a substantial say in deciding our season, that would give the illusion of favoritism and would give students the idea that I might have preconceived casting decisions based on who was on the committee and who chose the show.  

So, although I encourage students to suggest titles to me, I work closely with my assistant director, chorus teacher, and band director to decide on a show that fits our students for the following year.

That said, senior students choose the scripts for the state and district competitions that we do, and students get to choose or write their own final projects.  

So, I give students ownership of some aspects of what they perform, but I feel strongly that the system we have with the teachers in the driver's seat choosing the main stage shows.

I know I'm in the minority on this, but every school works their own way :)  

Good luck :)

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 12.  RE: Student input on season selection

Posted 03-26-2016 11:52
    This topic comes up often. I've always chosen the shows based on budget, time, talent pool, challenges, New lessons, tech needs, and what sells tickets. However, there always seem to be students that complain about the choices. So I took a suggestion from this discussion board and attempted to form a committee. Once the students realized how much work they would have to do, they decided it was best if I just kept choosing the shows. Go figure.

• 13.  RE: Student input on season selection

Posted 03-27-2016 22:55

I always read plays in all of my classes, so I try to sneak in plays I'm thinking of doing.  That's a great way to get feedback.  I also, in between productions, hold after school play reading groups.  We read plays they want to do and plays I want to do and discuss them as possibilities in the coming years. 

Occasionally, we'll have two or three that we all like and want to do.  At that point, I let them pick.

Hope this helps!

Connie

Connie Voight

Theatre Director, Randolph School

4915 Garth Road

Huntsville, AL 35802

• 14.  RE: Student input on season selection

Posted 03-28-2016 05:41

I am impressed by several descriptions here about well-developed student boards that are brought into the reading process. Cool learning opportunities to be sure. 

I think Scott raised a good point about David & Lisa. Though I have been doing theater for years, I am new to the responsibility of show selection and running the program. After our director was suddenly unable to return in the fall last year, I took over the program suddenly. In just a couple of weeks, I perused as many scripts as possible. I kept returning to Our Town, mostly because I wanted to play to my strengths (directing actors) and minimize my weaknesses (large set design, elaborate costumes/sets/props). When I announced the show, none of the kids had hard of it. Their natural instinct was skepticism (being teenagers). They had trouble imagining that the miming and minimalism could be beautiful and not hokey. Yada yada yada. In the end, the kids who were in the show felt like it was really transformative for them. They saw the brilliance and timelessness of it. I doubt they ever would have seen this had they read the show in advance.  

Steven Slaughter
    English & Theatre
    Rosslyn Academy
    Nairobi, Kenya

• 15.  RE: Student input on season selection

Posted 03-25-2016 10:57
    Over the years of my selecting a season, my Thespians developed a plan which balanced my expertise and their willingness to give input. The final 3 months of each school year was devoted to suggestions, reading, and selecting the next year's season. Based on students' suggestions, the talent and commitment of the non seniors, the availability of our securing the rights, and my liking the plays, we came up with 5 titles each for the following categories: large cast drama, large cast comedy, large cast musical, theatre for youth, message play, and a play which would feature the soon-to-be seniors. A preference ballot was given to all Thespians. The ballot had a brief description of each play along with cast breakdown, and two voting columns: one with the heading "I would be interested in auditioning for this play" and " I would be interested in being on the design/construction staff for this play." Thespians voted. I tallied the votes, and the season was announced at the final end-of-year Thespian banquet. That gave the THESPIAN BOARD time to create the next season's brochure before the school year ended.

Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    Gai@gaijones.com
    Www.gaijones.com

• 16.  RE: Student input on season selection

Posted 03-25-2016 15:50

I always have to tell the kids when I allow them to choose anything, when considering, it can't be just because they want to do it, but CAN we do it. Do we have everything we need to produce the show successfully.

Tom Larkin
    Orlando FL

• 17.  RE: Student input on season selection

Posted 03-26-2016 16:56

I love this questions and have enjoyed reading the varied responses.  On the last night of the show, when I am at my most tired I always get the question, "What are we doing next?" My response is always,"I don't know what should I be reading." This is my way of keeping a pulse on what kids are interested in doing. I agree with so much of what had been said:

1. The director should be interested and have a passion for doing the show.

2. Students need to feel that they have some sense of a buy in.

3. The director is in charge and should make decision based on what is good for the entire talent pool and available resources.

That said I read a lot of plays that I think would be good for the group with my advanced theatre kids and see what their reaction are to certain pieces. The students in my classes get an upper edge in knowing the play and they are excited about doing the piece. It is a win-win, I get to do what I am am passionate about, with their  'buy in'... 

Marla Blasko
    Theatre Arts Director
    Columbia MD

• 18.  RE: Student input on season selection

Posted 03-26-2016 08:41

This is a wonderful topic that every single one of us must consider and deal with. I am responding because I feel I have a slight variation worth adding.  I use the following process for our three shows (a children's show, a one act, and a musical)

I have a board of five elected students who gather information from the company on what types of shows people would like to do next year. We make sure that all company members know they can approach the board with their feelings, regardless of those feelings being for the betterment of the company or individual desire, over a few week period. Then I have a discussion with the board to find out the general feel of the company.  I then create options in each category, selecting only pieces I am interested in doing myself. The board members are assigned an equal  number of those pieces and are expected to read and research them. We have a general meeting where each board member gives a number of small presentations along with question and answer sessions.  We then open the process again to approaching board members with what are now specific opinions. We meet as a board one last time and pick the shows that are for the betterment of the program.

You'll notice I don't have students looking for shows, although suggestions are welcomed, I find that a group of high school students are fairly uneducated in terms of the mass of things out there, and as much as they all what to do "Hamilton," we need to look well beyond the uber popular pieces of theater they all know.

MJ 

Mark Johnson
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Farmington Hills MI