Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cinderella and Restrictions

Posted 03-24-2016 07:55

Hello everyone. Weird situation I am running into and would like some feedback. So I am looking to do Cinderella next year, as I am short on men. However, with the contract comes the restriction that we cannot advertise AT ALL outside of school. We cannot use the name Cinderella or allude to the title in any way. I know that this is due to the National Tour and not wanting any confusion, but……… (This goes for all three versions)

Would love some feedback on any ideas you might have about some "tricky" publicity.

Damian Grzeskowiak

Marcus Whitman High School

English 10/12

Arts in Education Coordinator

Theatre

585-554-6441, 1310

• 2.  RE: Cinderella and Restrictions

Posted 03-24-2016 20:07

Hi Damian,

If you're aware of the tour dates: how do they compare to your own production dates?

If your production follows the tour, you may still be able to advertise (or have the restriction lifted) but only IF your dates are afterwards. Generally, the advertising prohibitions are in place for a certain period before and after the tour dates. And if the restriction is added automatically it's a blanket clause because your dates are falling in the blackout period. Sometimes automation doesn't take the 'post' dates into account like a human being would.

But, if your dates are prior to the tour, I can offer no creative ways around the restriction. Perhaps others can. I would advise to tread cautiously --- many PAC's want a total blackout within a certain radius of their market and feel (unnecessarily?) threatened when amateur productions pop up in their vicinity.

If they were smart, they'd reach out to you with special groups rates/backstage tours/talk-backs for your cast & crew. And provide a discount tix to the tour if you present a ticket stub from your local production. But they aren't always smart. ;)   They certainly can't issue a blackout against MTI's (Disney) Cinderella or any other Cindy adaptation since the source material is in PD.

Good luck,

Michael

------------------------------
    Michael McDonough
    New York NY

• 3.  RE: Cinderella and Restrictions

Posted 03-25-2016 08:39

When will they realize that one feeds on the other! How many kids will go see the touring production after doing it in school? Or see it before their production? Tons! 

When I saw Pippin in NYC the theatre was filled with students that had done it in high school. When the first piano riff started, the audience went nuts! I was deaf from the teen screams! Jeez, and I'm seeing Wicked at Spring Break! Ear plugs?

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 4.  RE: Cinderella and Restrictions

Posted 03-25-2016 08:39
    When my wife did Cinderella right before the movie cam out, she had the same problem. She was in a suburb of Denver, so they said she could advertise around the hometown but not in Denver city limits. She had to make a bunch of calls to get hold of someone. Start with the name on your contract.

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO